ROM Hack Is there any way to translate games on the fly?

Ichiriki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if translating games on the fly(reading the text lines and try to translate, like google translator xD)
something similar to this:

But obviously just changing the text on 3ds

Ichiriki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No. But there's nothing stopping you from using google translate, well unless you don't have a phone obviously.
I'm talking about instant translation in game not using my phone, in my head it wasnt such a strange thing, community has done pretty sick things already

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Machine translation is awful and barring some fairly world changing things happening, things we may live to see but nobody has a timeline for, always will be

Still... for various disabled or hard of sight people we have had text engines output their text, most games using encoded text rather than graphical means that is quite doable for a lot of games, by various means, typically lua on any games that are emulated or on the PC which you can do that for anyway. I have spoken to a few let's play types that wanted to do auto captions/subs too and were also looking to do that. The 3ds does have the means to debug games on the fly and thus you could get the text out, and the 3ds does also have the ability to soft replace files (or indeed the debug stuff twiddle data on the fly). The timing could be an issue but probably solved with a forced constant decode and some bounds checking to make it stay on the screen, not necessarily trivial but done before and well within the realm of reason.

So yes the elements are all there and have been used for years to do things like that. The result however would not be great so nobody has put it all together that way. Looking at the video above it also throws in some optical character recognition (OCR) and I guess you could take that route rather than straight text output if you wanted another layer of complexity.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Machine translation is awful and barring some fairly world changing things happening, things we may live to see but nobody has a timeline for, always will be

Still... for various disabled or hard of sight people we have had text engines output their text, most games using encoded text rather than graphical means that is quite doable for a lot of games, by various means, typically lua on any games that are emulated or on the PC which you can do that for anyway. I have spoken to a few let's play types that wanted to do auto captions/subs too and were also looking to do that. The 3ds does have the means to debug games on the fly and thus you could get the text out, and the 3ds does also have the ability to soft replace files (or indeed the debug stuff twiddle data on the fly). The timing could be an issue but probably solved with a forced constant decode and some bounds checking to make it stay on the screen, not necessarily trivial but done before and well within the realm of reason.

So yes the elements are all there and have been used for years to do things like that. The result however would not be great so nobody has put it all together that way. Looking at the video above it also throws in some optical character recognition (OCR) and I guess you could take that route rather than straight text output if you wanted another layer of complexity.

After seeing that video makes me safely say that Localizers will always have a job.

Reactions: zeldaism

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up