Homebrew Is there a...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
inb4 3ds can already play 3d movies (with a limit of 10 minutes) in the camera tool (you can however split a full video into 10 minute parts)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
inb4 3ds can already play 3d movies (with a limit of 10 minutes) in the camera tool (you can however split a full video into 10 minute parts)

I'm 98% positive that I was probably the first person to figure out the format and provide convertor instructions for that... (http://www.socoder.net/index.php?blogs=29000) ..back in 2011 very shortly after the 3ds update was released.

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think kodi, formally named xbmc, would be awesome on the 3ds. With 3ds support of course.

Would be awesome, but not likely to happen. If it did, you either wouldn't have support for a lot of codecs, or you wouldn't get smooth video from them. The 3ds wasn't really made to be a fully functional media device.

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither was the original xbox for which it was developed, which is why i suggested it.

Edit: people are using raspberry pi's as media centers with xbmc. I'm sure a 3ds can take it

The original XBox did really well as a media center for quite a while(I used mine as a media center for the longest time), until around the time HD video became more common.
Unfortunately, It was also a much more powerful system than the 3ds.

The Raspberry Pi actually has hardware built for multi-media applications.

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The original XBox did really well as a media center for quite a while(I used mine as a media center for the longest time), until around the time HD video became more common.
Unfortunately, It was also a much more powerful system than the 3ds.

The Raspberry Pi actually has hardware built for multi-media applications.
Yeah dude. The old xbox was an awesome machine at the time. I remember how stoked I was when I figured out how to hook xbmc as a dashboard. It did make a great media center. They eventually came out with a tool that would delimit ram usage in launchers. If you had spare boards, like I did, you could solder ram chips into the unused slots.

But on topic, isn't the rpi just a singular arm processor?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah dude. The old xbox was an awesome machine at the time. I remember how stoked I was when I figured out how to hook xbmc as a dashboard. It did make a great media center. They eventually came out with a tool that would delimit ram usage in launchers. If you had spare boards, like I did, you could solder ram chips into the unused slots.

But on topic, isn't the rpi just a singular arm processor?
The rpi2 is quad core, anyway it has hardware video deciding for pretty much every format.

Reactions: Margen67 and WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3ds could do it. At the very least be able to handle video streaming from a server or other media player. Tbh, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Usually emulators and media players are the first things to pop up when a homebrew method is found.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think the 3ds could do it. At the very least be able to handle video streaming from a server or other media player. Tbh, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Usually emulators and media players are the first things to pop up when a homebrew method is found.
It most certainly can. Maybe not h264 but DivX/XviD should work very well.
h264 is more demanding than DivX/XviD but I'm not sure how much more, it might be able to handle 480p h264 just fine. I had an old linux based handheld with no hardware acceleration and it could play 480p XviD just fine. The 3DS is a lot more powerful than that, so h264 might work fine too.
Would be perfect if it could play 480p h264 then you could just copy scene releases onto it or stream them :lol:
I think 3D would probably have to be downscaled to 400x240x2 (not that it matters much) since it would require twice as much processing power as 480p in 2D otherwise.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It most certainly can. Maybe not h264 but DivX/XviD should work very well.
h264 is more demanding than DivX/XviD but I'm not sure how much more, it might be able to handle 480p h264 just fine. I had an old linux based handheld with no hardware acceleration and it could play 480p XviD just fine. The 3DS is a lot more powerful than that, so h264 might work fine too.
Would be perfect if it could play 480p h264 then you could just copy scene releases onto it or stream them :lol:
I think 3D would probably have to be downscaled to 400x240x2 (not that it matters much) since it would require twice as much processing power as 480p in 2D otherwise.
Someone on this site had reported a while back that they were streaming 3d movies at 480 through the web browser with some program (don't remember the name) and it worked. But that was on a new3ds which has browser that supports video. I'm not sure how different the specs between old/new 3ds are either.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i remember a while back someone came on here with a WIP 3DS media player, they wanted the community to make banners and icons, not really sure what happened with it.

Reactions: Margen67

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
We must be patient, the handled console homebrew scene isn't just as much attractive to developers as it was before, now that there are smartphones everywhere...etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?