Is there a way to turn a non DSI nds rom in to a cia?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Nicky P, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Nicky P
    OP

Nicky P Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2016
    United States
    I was wondering because I wanted to play Phantom Hourglass and Tomodachi Collection. (I lost the cardtridge to PH and I dont want to import TC)

2. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    No there isn't. You could try using TWLoader and nds-bootstrap, but it has somewhat low compatibility.

3. Nicky P
    OP

Nicky P Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2016
    United States
    I tried doing that... Tomodachi Collection is Laggy and Phantom Hourglass doesn't work at all

4. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    flashcart

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  5. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Get a damn flashcart they're dirty cheap >>

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  6. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Last edited by Kyouken, Feb 12, 2017
  7. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    no.
    this is because we cant convert them, because in the original NDS, all system calls were directed to the slot, because dlc games didnt exist yet. essentialy this would require forwarding all system calls to the sdcard, including saving, which we currently are VERY limited to doing.
    converting them to cia would also mean editing them to run on 3ds hardware (to be boot from the home menu)

so other then flashcard, there is no reliable way to run nds games.

8. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    iirc forwarders only forward to a flashcard. And as discussed before the nds bootstrap loader is very low compatibility. I would just invest like $15-20 USD for a decent flashcard like the r4i gold 3ds. It's really not that much to invest for opening the door to play basically every DS game.

9. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    The link I posted lists an option to create one from a ROM on the SD card and links to the bootloader compatibility list; I haven't really looked into it or tried it. I assume it uses something like TWL_Loader in the process of making the forwarder. Come to think of it, TWL_Loader has an option to launch ROMs from a flashcart, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did use TWL_Loader in some way.

10. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's not technically what OP wants though. It still has to run from either a flashcard, which costs money, or the NDS Bootstrap Loader (which is probably what you are referring to), which has very limited compatibility. At this point flashcard is still the way to go, and as others have stated they are dirt cheap anyway.

11. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Forwarders forward to SD Card as well.

Kyouken likes this.
  12. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Still, I'm fairly certain the NDS bootstrap loader is very limited in what it actually supports last time I checked, so really unless you only want to play a few DS games the flashcard is the much better option anyway.