Hacking Is there a way to make WBFS check for bad sectors?

lilbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My drive is 95 good but there are some damaged sectors from where I drop it a while back right at the beginning. Most of the time everything works normally but eventually is always spreads to other sectors and I have to format it again.

Can I make WBFS skip those sectors?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No there is no bad block management for WBFS that I know of.
But on the other hand thats true for most modern filesystems.
Defect management is done in the drive nowadays.
If that failed the damage is extensive.

I'd just ditch it as fubar.

But if you really want you could figure out the defects with "badblocks -vns" or whatever windows got instead.
If the are at the start or end just make a smaller partition.

Or you could try to create a fake game that encompasses the damaged sectors.
But how to do that I don't know.

lilbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
lilbro said:
Is there a loader that can see drives that aren't formatted to WBFS and load files off of them?
yes, all of them.

I tried 3 and none of them saw it. The only one I could get to see the partition is CFG loader but when I load something off of it, it freezes.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lilbro said:
I tried 3 and none of them saw it. The only one I could get to see the partition is CFG loader but when I load something off of it, it freezes.
sounds like more of a cios issue...which one or ones do you have, and/or are you using?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the issue of the dropped drive, the drive should be able to mark and/or remap the bad sectors that were damaged from the drop. A problem to be aware of is that not all bad sectors will immediately be known to the drive until it encounters them, and some sectors that have been damaged may only be determined as bad after some further use which might allow for data loss. I recommend stress testing the drive then reformatting it. This will ensure that all bad sectors, even those on the verge of being bad, will be detected and therefore not used. A good utility that I have found to work well for this is SpinRite.

One last thing to add, I can not stress the need to backup your games and data in general enough to everyone. But of course in this case we all own the retail game media which serves as a backup, right
wink.gif

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show