Hacking Is there a way to keep roms in .zip format?

khameleon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, just wondering if there is a way to keep the games in .zip on your micro card to use on the R4?

So far I had to unzip them all and leave them as .dpg for the R4 to read them. Is that the only way? Itd save a bunch of space if you can somehow zip them up.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought the games for the DS were in .NDS format. Anyway you can't keep the games zipped but you can trim the roms. I always use the R4 rom trimmer. It can trim loads off the rom to make it a lot smaller. Though I have heard its not the best one and can overtrim. But all the games I've trimmed on the R4 trimmer work perfectly so far.

khameleon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the games for the DS were in .NDS format. Anyway you can't keep the games zipped but you can trim the roms. I always use the R4 rom trimmer. It can trim loads off the rom to make it a lot smaller. Though I have heard its not the best one and can overtrim. But all the games I've trimmed on the R4 trimmer work perfectly so far.

Haha I meant .NDS, sorry. OK, I might try the trimmer then thanks.

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive heard from around the boards that trimming the roms sometimes prevents them from working alltogether or takes away certain features of the game.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use DS rom tool to trim my roms. The good thing about it is you can select multiple zipped files from wherever you keep them and have them unzipped directly to the directory on your card. I believe it creates the save files for it also so you don't have to bother with the "create save" prompt on the R4. I think the DS Rom tool will patch files that need the DLDI patch as well. I haven't tried it yet since I'm set up to use DLDI32 for homebrew.

I've heard that there were two games that didn't trim right with the R4 trimming tool. I don't think that is the case with the DS rom tool.

BushidoUK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
are there any forums available for DS Rom Tool? I like the software and it could save me a lot of space. Im just concerned that you could loose or damage the ROM by this process.

Thanks in adv!

Bushy

WiiDSbold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
really interesting what you guys hear here and then: "there was once a game said to overtrim when..."

yeah i heard that saddam will rise from the dead riding on a pale horse swinging a really mighty sword to devour every single one... who uses a rom-trimmer
rofl2.gif

you know: you wont die instantly if a game doesnt work due to overtrimming - it wont even cost an arm or leg to just replace the overtrimmed rom with the untrimmed one...
though i must admit theres some kind of magic involved: its called thinking

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is a thread that will give you a detailed explanation of why the method of ROM trimming used by some trimming utilities can do harm:

GBAtemp Forum topic: "Don't use DSLazy or R4 Trimmer to trim roms!!!, They both overtrim!"

The topic was created by the person (ShortFuse) who wrote DS-X Manager (soon to be called NDS Manager) and does a very good job of describing why his app handles ROM trimming better.

I'm not saying trimming is good, bad or otherwise but if you want to know what problems *could* occur check out that topic.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Here is a thread that will give you a detailed explanation of why the method of ROM trimming used by some trimming utilities can do harm:

GBAtemp Forum topic: "Don't use DSLazy or R4 Trimmer to trim roms!!!, They both overtrim!"

The topic was created by the person (ShortFuse) who wrote DS-X Manager (soon to be called NDS Manager) and does a very good job of describing why his app handles ROM trimming better.

I'm not saying trimming is good, bad or otherwise but if you want to know what problems *could* occur check out that topic.

I trimmed 3.95GB (which trimmed to 3.34GB) of roms with both R4 Trimmer and DS-X manager, and the size difference was only 11KB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.