Gaming Is there a way to increase filepath character limitations?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the usual character limit for filepaths and allow it to go higher?

Example: E:\Documents and Settings\James\My Documents\My Videos\TV\Alcatraz\Alcatraz.S01E07.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION

So, that's just the folder, and inside it are archives along with a video file once extracted, but sometimes the video file name puts it over the limit.
In the case of Alcatraz episode 7, it fits. But some shows/ other directories tend to pass the limit.

Is there any way to increase the character limitations (Windows 7)?
Sure, I could just rename the folder in order to make them shorter and allow it to fit, but this seems rather tedious for something so simple...
And yes, I watch Alcatraz =)

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping there would be a registry edit or something that would just allow more characters =O

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the namespace is intricate to the os function and file system, changing it on a whim would render the os inoperable because it will load a 1024B address while the addresses are 512B long and it'll have a 512B of garbage which will make the address erroneous.
In order to make it work you would have to write a new file system and a software that can read it.

an example is the use of long file name (255 char) that windows does on fat file system ( it only allows 8.3 name) which is done through a software layer but is implemented at the hdd formatting and windows software. Also the name space has to be reserved in the ram for file operation, of course.

The only filesystem that can hold more than 255 char for a namespace is the amiga smart file system (amiga SFS, 32 000 char).
bad news: amiga os (latest release: 2011) only work on ppc architecture.
good news: it's open source and according to wikipedia there's some work for linux support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_File_System

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing