Is there a way to check for bad sectors on SD cards without taking it out?

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to take the card out because I don't have a card reader at the moment and I prefer not to touch the slot since I heard it's easily broken and hard to replace.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can check the card status in Hekate. It will tell you some info like if it's a fake card, format type, capacity, and you can also run the "Benchmark" tab to test the speed.
Screenshot 2024-01-30 004647.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I didn't know this. I thought H2Testw would wipe the sd card to test it. Good to know, thanks!
Nop, H2TestW can test the free space.

The problem is if you have a fake device, sometimes when you write on last part of the device you really overwrite data at start and you can end with a corrupted data. but if only is a damaged sector H2testw can find it using the free space on partition.

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find bad sectors on the card is there a way to repair it the same way chkdsk offers? Is there a way to use chkdsk to repair the SD card without taking it out?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Having gone through this myself...hekate showed everything was fine. In fact, it was not fine. 300,000+ bad sectors on a new sandisk 512gb.
You got a fake card, if you can ask for a refund

Hekate only shoy you the state of card reader and sd firmware. Unless you make a full test

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find bad sectors on the card is there a way to repair it the same way chkdsk offers? Is there a way to use chkdsk to repair the SD card without taking it out?
Having gone through this myself...hekate showed everything was fine. In fact, it was not fine. 300,000+ bad sectors on a new sandisk 512gb.

Should have done a h2testw test on the card before use.

• Love
Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there are bad sectors, the card is dead. They will spread VERY quickly on as SD card. They are soooo cheap now... I mean a 1TB card is the same price as a single switch game now so its not a huge deal

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated