Hacking Is there a preformance difference between 1G/2G ?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't done extensive testin, but i know this much.

both are good, however the 1GB has slightly better performance (random access time etc).

I don't know if it's a significant enough difference to cause game lag on any particular carts, but i think it probably can if the flashcart is fussy.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My tests using HD Tach:

2GB Kingston Japan - Occasional freezes in C:PoR (repeating Start, Talking to Wind)
average read 19.3 MB/s
Random access 0.9ms

1GB Kingston Japan - No freezes in C:PoR (repeating Start, Talking to Wind)
average read 10.4 MB/s
Random access 0.6ms

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
My tests using HD Tach:

2GB Kingston Japan - Occasional freezes in C:PoR (repeating Start, Talking to Wind)
average read 19.3 MB/s
Random access 0.9ms

average read 10.4 MB/s
Random access 0.6ms

Thank you for your reply,

So which one is your recommendation at last? Is there any game specific problems beside PoR? I can play that one game on my G6 Lite BTW.

Basically I'm getting a micro SD for my DSTT, If you could buy one of 1GB or 2GB, What would you choose? and which brand.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My tests using HD Tach:

average read 19.3 MB/s
Random access 0.9ms

average read 10.4 MB/s
Random access 0.6ms
I think the 1Gig worked better mainly because of you random access setting, not the fact that it was 1gig vs. 2gig. Try the 2gig with your 1gig settings, you should get the same results.

About the actual question, I distinctly remember reading somewhere a while ago, I have searched for the article but could not find it. With no proof, it is your choice whether you want to believe it or not but I remember reading somewhere that storage cards with ODD number storage capacities read/write data a bit slower than EVEN number storage capacities. Something complicated to do with even number of clusters or something, can't remember, it was a long time ago. So what this means is that anything with odd number of storage, EXAMPLE: 1gig, 3gig, 5gig, 7gig, 9gig, and etc. are somewhat if not unnoticeable slower than their even number counterparts. Of course, the only one that actually exists from my examples is the 1gig so it is the only one affected. All other card store data on an even number maximum. Of course, I can't find where I read this and I myself don't know if it is true but I have nothing to gain by lying and I actually believe this and have avoided 1gig for 2gigs for awhile.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually have a 2GB kingston card and I can tell you that while they are very fast and you don't get any lockups during Castlevania, the intro still lags a bit.
Personally, I think there's no reason to get a 1GB card only to get rid of that tiny bit of lag then you might have some other issues
tongue.gif
A 2GB card is fine.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for your reply,

So which one is your recommendation at last? Is there any game specific problems beside PoR? I can play that one game on my G6 Lite BTW.

Basically I'm getting a micro SD for my DSTT, If you could buy one of 1GB or 2GB, What would you choose? and which brand.

I recommend getting the 2GB card. I didn't encounter any other issues with the 2GB MicroSD. The price and memory size advantages outweigh the small speed issue with PoR. I'd definitely go for a Japanese Kingston though, I don't think other brands are faster. Toshiba's are Kingstons iirc. The product number is SD-C02G.

My tests using HD Tach:

average read 19.3 MB/s
Random access 0.9ms

average read 10.4 MB/s
Random access 0.6ms

I think the 1Gig worked better mainly because of you random access setting, not the fact that it was 1gig vs. 2gig. Try the 2gig with your 1gig settings, you should get the same results.

The random access time isn't a setting though, it's an actual measured result from the HD Tach benchmarking software. You do need a fast reader to come up with results like this, but it shows the best what these cards can do. The results can be off by one ms if executed consecutively. My benchmarks results are from brand new, clean formatted (I think FAT16) cards.

QUOTE(xcalibur @ Jan 3 2008, 07:56 PM)
I actually have a 2GB kingston card and I can tell you that while they are very fast and you don't get any lockups during Castlevania, the intro still lags a bit.
Personally, I think there's no reason to get a 1GB card only to get rid of that tiny bit of lag then you might have some other issues
tongue.gif
A 2GB card is fine.
You seem to have one that's a little faster then, it's the same with my different 1GB Japanese Kingstons. I agree, get a 2GB one
smile.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I'm not afraid of PoR, Since I can play it with my G6 Lite (Which i'll use mainly for GBA purposes afterwards), But my concern is about future releases/games that they may need fast access time like PoR.

So since I dont listen to MP3, watch comic, watch movie, or anything else beside gaming and I kinda hate having too much games around me, Does people still suggest 2GB? I dont care for having too much game at once (all of this 1GB or 2GB will be just DS games, no GBA), but I cant tolerate seeing a new game, not playable on my cart, What do you suggest know?

Does new 1GB Kingstones like xcalibur's have faster access time? does anyone else with a 2GB Kingston have no problems with PoR?

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if you don't care about space and efficient money spending, go with a 1GB Japanese Kingston as I believe they still have the fastest random access speeds, giving you no problems with any current and probably upcoming games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM