Gaming Is there a better option for playing GBA games than the 3ds?

prakhar

Trophies
XP
Country
India
After tons of experimentation, I arrived at the n3DS XL.

My goals were:
  1. Accuracy (preferably by as-close-to-actual-hardware or excellent FPGA)
  2. Good controls
  3. High compatibility
  4. Core feature parity with original systems
  5. Clean audio
  6. A good enough screen supporting games in their original aspect ratio with minimum scaling artifacts
  7. Good-to-haves but not deal breakers: save states, CPU acceleration, rewind gameplay, cheats/hacks etc.
n3DS addresses 1 to 6 with a varying degree of success for me. I ripped my games from original carts to CIAs using NSUI, migrated saves and 99% of them run as intended. Leaving out the 1% for an error margin since the sample size of my games is not large enough.

Overall, I would say that the following order of devices would be my preference for playing GBA games:
  1. Analogue Pocket (tentative, hypothetical)
  2. Top/dual-IPS n3DS/n3DS XL via VC injection
  3. Any screen-type n3DS/n3DS XL via VC injection
  4. Original GBA with the latest IPS and audio mods
  5. GBA SP with the latest IPS and audio mods
  6. Nintendo DS Lite/Game Boy Macro
  7. Retro handhelds like the Anberic RG351M/V
  8. Game Boy Micro (it's this low on the list only due to comfort reasons)
  9. Other handhelds (phone etc.) running RetroArch smoothly
A few things to note:
  1. Some might prefer the smaller n3DS models over the XL for the sharper pixel density.
  2. Please note that I'm unsure of the vanilla 3DS's performance since I have only tried GBA on the n3DS consoles.
  3. The advantages/features provided by running games on an emulator or on a GBA/DSLite via a flashcart are not going to be possible on vanilla/native GBA n3DS execution.
  4. BONUS. The n3DS also runs SNES ROMs via VC injections extremely well (flawless in my experience) while supporting a pixel-perfect mode which gives the games a super crisp image with real scanlines due to the n3DS top screen.
  5. The GBA mode on the n3DS does not support sleep mode or any advanced features like save states, unlike SNES games via VC which supports both.
Hope this is helpful!

PS. I'm planning to make a video around this very topic - feel free to let me know if you guys would like anything addressed in the video.

Reactions: kid sampson

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Why are you skipping picture quality? For many people this is the most important thing.

Last edited by Lenks,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep and the 3DS has to be near bottom of the barrel for scaling, unless you are doing the tiny 1:1 mode.

I wonder if being a handheld is required. Mister FPGA's GBA core is fairly up there for accuracy and it even supports save states and fast forward/rewind which is uncommon for FPGA. You also didn't mention input lag at all, which is present even on 3DS and DS and much higher for any handheld emulator. Meanwhile Mister on a CRT will be more responsive than a real GBA's slow LCD screen. By the same token there's Woozel's GBA consolizer, which is of course built from a real GBA but output over HDMI, as well as the recent crappy Retron Square that at least plays from your real cart.

There is also a hardware clone of the GBA, one of the versions of the RevoK101, though I'm not sure how available they are. The screen is not quite the right resolution so some scaling is needed, but the internals pretty accurately mimic the real thing, just like a famiclone, so it should be highly compatible and run about the same.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Also if you want original experience Funnyplaying are releasing new IPS kit with original resolution display for authentic look.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

My goals were:
  2. Good controls
  3. High compatibility
  5. Clean audio
  6. A good enough screen supporting games in their original aspect ratio with minimum scaling artifacts
  7. Good-to-haves but not deal breakers: save states, CPU acceleration, rewind gameplay, cheats/hacks etc.
n3DS addresses 1 to 6 with a varying degree of success for me. I ripped my games from original carts to CIAs using NSUI, migrated saves and 99% of them run as intended. Leaving out the 1% for an error margin since the sample size of my games is not large enough.

Overall, I would say that the following order of devices would be my preference for playing GBA games:
A few things to note:
  1. Some might prefer the smaller n3DS models over the XL for the sharper pixel density.
  2. Please note that I'm unsure of the vanilla 3DS's performance since I have only tried GBA on the n3DS consoles.
  3. The advantages/features provided by running games on an emulator or on a GBA/DSLite via a flashcart are not going to be possible on vanilla/native GBA n3DS execution.
  4. BONUS. The n3DS also runs SNES ROMs via VC injections extremely well (flawless in my experience) while supporting a pixel-perfect mode which gives the games a super crisp image with real scanlines due to the n3DS top screen.
  5. The GBA mode on the n3DS does not support sleep mode or any advanced features like save states, unlike SNES games via VC which supports both.
Hope this is helpful!

PS. I'm planning to make a video around this very topic - feel free to let me know if you guys would like anything addressed in the video.
Well, you could use OPEN_AGB_FIRM instead of VC, and you won't need to make a CIA out of every game. Try it.

3DS (be it the Old or the New) plays natively GBA games since they have actual GBA hardware inside. So, regarding accuracy, it's as accurate as original hardware can be. You can even run homebrew.

If you're using a New 3DS and need savestates and some emulation things, you could try mGBA, which emulates GBA with New 3DS hardware but runs quite well. Also that makes it possible to run romhacks.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Down the rabbit hole I go! I've been eyeing a build similar to the one in your signature: an IPS V2 screen, custom shell, and new speaker. I've even seen some with rechargeable battery mods. The DS Lite I already have would be acceptable if it didn't apply a Gameboy frame and shrink the screen size. Last night I read the GBA provides a slightly larger image. I've got a Vita but wish the right thumbstick was lower. But with overclocking GBA games do seem to perform well, even though it's emulation.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, you could use OPEN_AGB_FIRM instead of VC, and you won't need to make a CIA out of every game. Try it.

3DS (be it the Old or the New) plays natively GBA games since they have actual GBA hardware inside. So, regarding accuracy, it's as accurate as original hardware can be. You can even run homebrew.

If you're using a New 3DS and need savestates and some emulation things, you could try mGBA, which emulates GBA with New 3DS hardware but runs quite well. Also that makes it possible to run romhacks.

Open_AGB_Firm is the same as VC titles just without the menu icon/launcher? I'd be happy with the VC titles/injects if I could just remap the controls.

prakhar

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Why are you skipping picture quality? For many people this is the most important thing.

Yep and the 3DS has to be near bottom of the barrel for scaling, unless you are doing the tiny 1:1 mode.

I wonder if being a handheld is required. Mister FPGA's GBA core is fairly up there for accuracy and it even supports save states and fast forward/rewind which is uncommon for FPGA. You also didn't mention input lag at all, which is present even on 3DS and DS and much higher for any handheld emulator. Meanwhile Mister on a CRT will be more responsive than a real GBA's slow LCD screen. By the same token there's Woozel's GBA consolizer, which is of course built from a real GBA but output over HDMI, as well as the recent crappy Retron Square that at least plays from your real cart.

There is also a hardware clone of the GBA, one of the versions of the RevoK101, though I'm not sure how available they are. The screen is not quite the right resolution so some scaling is needed, but the internals pretty accurately mimic the real thing, just like a famiclone, so it should be highly compatible and run about the same.

All fair points but for me the picture quality on my n3DS XLs is acceptable for the time being/till I acquire an Analogue Pocket. Hence point number 6. And while Mister is a great option, my priority was playing games in handheld mode. With the accuracy of n3DS and acceptable picture quality, it works for me. When the Pocket is available, it (hopefully) proves to be the best of all worlds.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My goals were:
  2. Good controls
  3. High compatibility
  5. Clean audio

A few things to note:
Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for sharing your preferences! I'd love to see your video comparing these options and addressing things like resolution, input lag, ghosting, button placement, and so on. I love using my 3DS and 3DSXL for SNES games as the button layout mimics the original control pad. I just can't get used to using B/A for the GBA games but never owned an original GBA system.

shano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The original GBA with IPS Screen mod is about the best it gets atm for GBA on the go imo.

Analogue Pocket could be good for GBA but who knows when that will actually release lol plus we have yet to see it demoed.

3DS is only good with 1:1 scaling if you don't mind the small screen but a IPS modded GBA beats it hands down in screen quality imo. GBA on the 3DS also adds a frame of input lag iirc.

Those 3 options above are also the most accurate (og hardware/fpga) and then you have GBA emulation which the Switch and Vita are both good options for. I dunno much about those emulation retro handhelds tbh.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have my entire gba collection on the gba, ds, and the 3ds (injects as well as standalone). I like the gba itself, which I made a no intro set of all gba roms using clrmame pro and the .dat file. I have a Majora's Mask gba sp which is backlit w/ a blue everdrive. the only bad thing about the everdrive is that you have to rename your original saves to different things like .fla. it's based on the size of the save which extension each uses, but it's pretty easy to figure out. all saves work, and saves that are made by the system will have the correct extension anyway. the Majora's Mask gba matches my Majora's Mask n3ds xl. I posted them in a blog: https://gbatemp.net/entry/my-babies.16773/

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I second the DS being preferable to 3DS. I have a DSi that looks great with GB/GBA.

I used to adore my GBM, but as I get older and my eyes get worse, the teeny weeny tiny screen is just too small. But it’s insanely portable. You can barely even tell it’s in your pocket!

I haven’t played it myself, but reviewers seem to pretty consistently say the Anbernic 351M is the best way to play GBA available. That might be worth looking into.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Real hardware, 100% with an IPS screen can't be beat.

20210517_014124.jpg

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

My goals were:
  2. Good controls
  3. High compatibility
  5. Clean audio

A few things to note:
Hope this is helpful!

is there a reason Anbernic 351 is so low on your list? Have you played one? What was your complaint?

I haven’t played one myself, but I’ve seen reviews from pretty thorough nit-picky reviewers who seem to think it’s the bees knees for GBA specifically.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Real hardware, 100% with an IPS screen can't be beat.

View attachment 263359

What the hell is that?! It’s like a 2DS SP!

where can I acquire one of those?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
What the hell is that?! It’s like a 2DS SP!

where can I acquire one of those?
It's Boxypixel's anodized aluminum shell and aluminum buttons. They call it their "Hingeless SP". It's a bit thicker, like as thick as a clamshell SP closed because of how much more battery it can fit inside, and feels great in the hands. L and R are still plastic though. There's no soldering involved unless you want USB C charging, an audio jack, a custom battery, or brightness control. All of those mods are optional. They sell it either as a completed Gameboy, or as parts for a DIY kit, like I built here.

boxypixel.com will get you started.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: regnad

Mougrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
is there a reason Anbernic 351 is so low on your list? Have you played one? What was your complaint?

I haven’t played one myself, but I’ve seen reviews from pretty thorough nit-picky reviewers who seem to think it’s the bees knees for GBA specifically.

I have one. Is really good for GBA. Has a nice IPS screen, perfect aspect ratio and powerful enough to had no problems with amulation at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Materia_tofu, she is autistic and she is interested in that stuff +1