Gaming Is the Wii U really dead? Or...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
ShadowOne: Wii U, are you dead?

Wii U: No, I'm still alive and chillin' while PS4 and XO are battling to which is the better current-gen console.

Think this answers it.

bountycky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Nintendo could easily boost the Wii U's sales if they could make a Pokémon game that synchronises with an other 3DS Pokémon game. Why? The 3DS sells amazingly and if they were able to attract 3DS users to play with the Wii U to get more monsters and stuff..
Also they need those amazing titles like Zelda, Bayonetta, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Galaxy, Star Fox Smash Bros, Mario Kart and maybe Mario Tennis, Party, Basketball or whatever.. I mean Nintendo has the best IPs ever!! They need to concentrate on them and release them as quick as possible.. I know, is hell of a money but hey!! It will most likely boost sales and also attract 3rd party companies who don't care about the Wii U now because they are scared too invest into the console..

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I think Nintendo could easily boost the Wii U's sales if they could make a Pokémon game that synchronises with an other 3DS Pokémon game. Why? The 3DS sells amazingly and if they were able to attract 3DS users to play with the Wii U to get more monsters and stuff..
Also they need those amazing titles like Zelda, Bayonetta, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Galaxy, Star Fox Smash Bros, Mario Kart and maybe Mario Tennis, Party, Basketball or whatever.. I mean Nintendo has the best IPs ever!! They need to concentrate on them and release them as quick as possible.. I know, is hell of a money but hey!! It will most likely boost sales and also attract 3rd party companies who don't care about the Wii U now because they are scared too invest into the console..

Don't rush quality is what developers should always think before doing it as fast as possible and then giving us a shitty ass game (Aliens Colonial Marines, Ride to Hell Retribution).

But then, don't take too damn long *cough* The *cough* Last *cough* Guardian *cough*. I outta get this cough fixed up.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This current Gen came out too early. We don't have any game for all of the three consoles, Nintendo thought to get some kind of third-party support but all the developers were just waiting for the big ones to come out, and they have some kind of delay because, guess what? Making a complex game takes time!
Time to get the dust off my Wii meanwhile. Chocobo's Dungeon, my love!

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This current Gen came out too early. We don't have any game for all of the three consoles, Nintendo thought to get some kind of third-party support but all the developers were just waiting for the big ones to come out, and they have some kind of delay because, guess what? Making a complex game takes time!
Time to get the dust off my Wii meanwhile. Chocobo's Dungeon, my love!

The current gen didnt come out "too early" at all. It is ALWAYS this way when a new generation comes out. The first 6-12 months are slow. Its always been this way.

If the consoles had come out in two years time it would have been slightly more powerful consoles and still a drought of games at the beginning. Development of games now can and does take a couple of years minimum. Your not going to get developers starting on a game for next gen, years before the console is released or else they are not going to know where the goal posts are that early and it will cost the companies more and more when they have to change things or adapt to changing hardware specs of the new consoles.

The only people who complain about there not being enough games in the first 6-12 months or so are the idiots who go out and buy these systems on day one. If you do buy it on day one, you have to accept that for the first year or so, releases will be thin on the ground.

With regards to Wii U, I expect the situation is different in every country. But here in the UK it is certainly pushed into a small section in the corner of game stores and its not getting even remotely the same kind of shelf space as the PS4 and Xbox One. I fear for it I really do. But it has been out now for what 16 months, and at this point, you'd expect titles to start trickling through with more regularity, but this just isn't happening. And now you have the added problem of that when games come out that are not Nintendos doing, they are almost certainly either available on much cheaper systems with a hell of lot more games (PS3 and 360) or will be available on newer systems with much better eye candy and already (with regards to PS4 anyway, and I expect the Xbox wont be far behind) a larger userbase.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's a safer bet to say the Vita is closer to being dead in every region, except Japan, where the system is almost single handed being kept afloat.
Now that's a funny joke. I know the standard is usually to whip dicks out and fap the second good Wii U sales news pops up (if 100k is anything to fap over in the first place mind you), but this statement is laughable. Vita sales have been back up and going strong since the release of the PS4, and it's well alive and good in most areas of the world. You are right in Asserting that it fares well in japan though. In fact. Considering Japan is Nintendo's home base and market, it doesn't look like they're touching base very well there either considering The vita is outselling the Wii U AND the 3DS there. http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...dark-souls-2-debuts-big-ps4-ps-vita-both-drop
How sad. And I thought my Vita was on the verge of death And my Wii U was gonna get playtime. Unfortunately it's hard to play The Wii U when it's still lacking Games, and the Vita is continually accumulating content.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The next generation of consoles come out about 6-7 years after the previous has been released. It's more or less how it's been, except for the Original Xbox I think Microsoft got it out just to see if it would work and people wanted it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only dead in the sense that its not in nearly as many homes as they hoped it would be. But games are still coming and being announced, features have been announced that haven't even seen the light of day yet (ability to use 2 gamepads on one console, gba and DS VC titles, possibly GCN VC titles, multitasking, etc. etc.), they've really barely scratched the surface of potential of what can be done with the system.

It will probably never have the quality 3rd party titles that Sony and Microsoft continue to release, but Nintendo always has and will continue to have fantastic 1st and 2nd party titles. And at the end of the day, thats all that really matter for me.

Eli Rodriguez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering getting one. If they released a Pokemon game the quality of Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness or an RPG that I couldn't pass up I would jump on it.. I work in retail and the majority of customers that buy it, buy it because their child under 6 pressured them to buy it. I've only seen a few adults come in looking for it for themselves and that was for the special edition Zelda bundle.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also people really need to stop this mentality of "well the next game will save it." It has some good games, but it has no flow of them, and certainly piss poor third party support.
This.
No software release or releases can save the Wii U.
And no marketing will help the Wii U.
The problem is the Wii U.
It was a failed plan from Day #1.
Only Nintendo will be making games for the Wii U. Nobody else will be able to afford it.

Developers don't have time to make games for the Wii U ... they are making games for the xB1/Ps4.
Enjoy MK8 and all the other good stuff. But don't expect much.

This is the 16th month the Wii U has been out. It has sold 6 million units. By this time, the Wii had sold 24 million.
At the 16th month mark the xB1 and PS4 will have sold probably more than 24 million.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sega's Saturn?

We know what he meant.... personally I'd have said Dreamcast rather than Saturn anyway ...too little, too early?

I'd wager Mario Kart 8 to be the game that'll shift the most number of units rather than Smash (a quick look at sales figures of the Wii versions should back up my claim), anyone reckoning it'll completely reverse the consoles fortunes is dead wrong however... Like SM3D World, Wii U owners will likely be all over MK8: 3D World's shifted about 2.5mill copies up to now - not exactly the 26million NSMBWii shifted, but a nice little earner. Similarly, MK8 won't exactly reach the 35mill MKWii has shifted :lol:, but will rake a few bob in for Nintendo. Smash will do the same. The console has no chance of competing now though: will pass the 10 million sales mark, but that's hardly earth shattering is it... Will be fondly remembered by some (like the Dreamcast is), but always considered a failure of almost Virtual Boy proportions...

Personally though I see it as a great little second machine to a PS4 or Xbox One, and is worth the price of admission for the easily soft-modded vWii alone, outputting through hdmi is quite a visual update - makes it a quality emulation machine for starters! Handful of classic Nintendo games for it to boot - nah I don't regret buying one at all!

....And which feckwit said he regretted buying a Jaguar?! Gawd man, yeah it was rather ill-conceived, underpowered, and lacking in 3rd party support, but for the novelty value alone, and the handful of truly great games available from that small list it was a great purchase! Ooo, deja vu....

Reactions: clarky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later