Gaming Is the Wii U really dead? Or...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're showing a giant close-up of Ratchet from a cutscene, that's not the same thing as a tiny one.
and if you actually played the games, the fur looks just like that in game
DSC02214_zps551de99c.jpg~original

ratchet-clank-crack-time-1.jpg

ps3_ratchet_crack_8491f7a2510d0ef2af0343400a9ffa441.jpg

but using hair as some sort example how advanced the wii u is? really?
also

ShadowOfTheColossus07.jpg

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think that it's a combination of issues that are killing the WiiU - but honestly I think very little is Nintendo. Here's why:

1) As many people have said, the PPC proc is outdated. Like ooooooold, no one uses that anymore. This doesn't mean weak; it's just out of 'style', shall we say. And, hard(er) to develop for. Why would dev's spend time and money porting code, optimizing, and creating _system specific_ features while they could just port their code, 1:1 to a PS4 / Xbone and make the same amount of money? http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...-2-months-to-get-a-aaa-pc-game-running-on-ps4 vs God knows how long for a PPC port *cough* Watch Dogs *cough*.

2) The titles on the WiiU fail to inspire. I haven't even beaten NSMBU but the Wii one? Tons of fun! I'd pick the Wii version over U any day. Super Mario 3D World? Alright. Had more fun and 100% SM3DL. Smash Bros. Brawl? People were going crazy, and it was a HUGELY anticipated game. SSBU? I've checked the site, maybe twice? I find myself using my Wii much more than the U.

On the other hand, I'm debating picking up a PS4 for Second Son, and honestly Titanfall / Forza is enough to sell me on an Xbone. [Disclaimer: I don't play online, so PSN / XBL I could care less].

There's no must-haves for WiiU. While that could change...I feel it's unlikely. Might just be us gamers getting old, but I don't even see Kids asking for WiiU's.

3) This is the one I think is not discussed enough: Apple. Why apple?

Well, the WiiU is conceptually similar to the DS. It's been stated by Nintendo that the Wii was even based on the DS, then scrapped (I suppose this recycled idea became the WiiU? http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/07/wii-u-was-once-a-wii-zapper-prototype, I suppose not, but I'm sure elements of this played into it).

This was pre-2006. We were all using Blackberries and Palms and touch was the in thing. I'm sure Nintendo thought that a 7" touch screen / second screen would be revolutionary, and indeed, it would be.

But what do we call the WiiU? A tablet. Why? Because Apple. Secretive as they are, they catch the world off guard with their iPhone and then with their iPad. Google also releases Android which breeds tablets. This is 2007-2010. Fast forward to 2012. Everyone and their Dog has a tablet. Which, by the way, cost a lot of money. Suddenly, Nintendo's revolutionary isn't, anymore. It's out of date: before it even launches. The entire concept of a second screen, which could easily be achieved with an app or something, is suddenly old news. Nintendo launches, consumers don't want another tablet that, as mentioned before, can only be used in their house, and the rest is history.

Now, this is where I agree with some people. Nintendo's hard-headedness somehow made them think a 7" resistive touch screen could somehow compete with their own console, which had the same name, and tablets, which people had. Most consumers aren't gonna buy it, especially considering the marketing is non-existent to distinguish it and set it apart. So why buy it? Games, 3rd Party Dev's aren't gonna fix the WiiU. Nintendo's willingness to adapt? That's what's keeping it back.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Naw The Wii U isn't dead, it just need more support, and ideas like for Example (These would be good for all video game Companies 1, and 2).

1. Have a Youtube Gaming Celeb Like Pewdewpie or RoosterTeeth
Promote Future Gaming Titles. ( They get a lot of views BIG BONUS ).

2. Crossplay Multiplayer over consoles (Companies really need to do this)

3. Customizable Theme packs.

4. Nintendo make a deal with steam about their Steam Greenlight Games, and make an app. You know Menu, and Inventory for Gamepad It could kinda be like an Streaming Emulator. ( What I said for number 4 It's highly unlikely, but Hey Facebook Bought Oculus for 2 billion for whatever reason lol.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Naw The Wii U isn't dead, it just need more support, and ideas like for Example (These would be good for all video game Companies 1, and 2).

1. Have a Youtube Gaming Celeb Like Pewdewpie or RoosterTeeth
Promote Future Gaming Titles. ( They get a lot of views BIG BONUS ).

2. Crossplay Multiplayer over consoles (Companies really need to do this)

3. Customizable Theme packs.

4. Nintendo make a deal with steam about their Steam Greenlight Games, and make an app. You know Menu, and Inventory for Gamepad It could kinda be like an Streaming Emulator. ( What I said for number 4 It's highly unlikely, but Hey Facebook Bought Oculus for 2 billion for whatever reason lol.

1. wouldn't help LOL
2. this will NEVER happen
3. like the shit on xbox that you have to PAY for? no thanks don't need it.
4. valve would never agree to this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unless he was referring to the man's or even the horse's hair in the picture :rolleyes:
I was thinking of using Shadow of the Colossus as an example in this discussion earlier (over a *month* earlier), except in that case the "hair" are actually rather simple quads with a texture, they're not individual hairs.

Either way, nice necrobump Yil, this thread should've really stayed burried under more relevant ones. The Wii U ain't dead, it's just not doing terribly well, and we can live with that.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Can up and coming games save it? Yes, however I don't think Mario Kart and Smash alone will do it, we need firm dates for Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2 and way more very soon or interest will just fade quickly even from me.. sadly.
I do not own any new generation console besides Wii U, however the PS4 is getting some great titles and they are coming out consistently.

I'm in the exact same situation myself. I don't really find a lot of Wii U titles exciting, save WWHD and whatnot, but if good titles don't start coming out soon, the console will crash.

Mined

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope it's not dead. There are great activity on the Miiverse, Bayonetta 2/Watch Dogs/Super Smash/Kart8/New Zelda/"Zelda Warriors" is coming out. Also, Kickstarter project that seems nice can be seen here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/feature_kickstarters_wii_u_and_3ds_campaigns_13th_april

Earthlock looks promising to say the least.

Have hope people!

Also, I wonder where High Voltage Software is, they who made Conduit and such for the Wii. They made this awesome engine for the Wii, its like they made the console even more powerful. I hope they could do the same thing for the Wii U.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH, I would be bored to death with a PS4 or XboxOne atm ... there's just no games that appeal to me so we can say whatever we want but the Wii U now has an amazing lineup and it's getting better and better

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
3DS picked up steam, despite abysmal initial launch sales.
Vita is picking up steam over here in Japan. The slew of new titles coming out over here will likely impact the American and European market as well. (Hopefully.)
I'd imagine that when the right games start to come out, I.E. first party titles like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, the sales will pick up enough to keep the system going at least, and insure there were at least be some more first party titles.

This is just my belief. but when buying a Nintendo system, you're typically buying it for the first party games. If good third party games come out, that's just icing on the cake.

I had a dream last week about buying a Wii U. I woke up and shrugged it off. However, as time is going on, I realize how much I miss new Mario games, Zelda games, Metroid games, Animal Crossing games... So on and so forth. The new Smash Bros game might just be enough to convince me to buy the system, regardless if people think it's 'dead' or 'dying'.

Also, I wanna get a 3DS with a few games to support Nintendo, but I don't want to lose my ability to use a flash cart (I know this is a contradictory statement.), so I'm holding off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No Bueno