Hardware Is the usb port faster than the sd slot?

epicboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've been on the Nintendont thread and people are saying the usb port is faster than the sdcard slot. But in my experience, sd was faster. I haven't really tested games on my sd, but I tried brawl hacks. Riivolution ran brawl hacks really slow when on usb. Was that supposed to happen? Is the sd faster in some cases and the usb in others?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
depends on the usb drive you use. you must first check the max speed of your usb drive... as for the sd card is limited by its category

the question you ask is a bit redudant because i dont know what the hardware are you trying to compare, specially if you use cheap\chinese drives...

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Riivolution doesn't use 2.0 speed, right? It's using IOS37 or something like that so you'll notice it being slower than the SD slot.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes. To aswer the OP's question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

USB 2.0[edit]

The Hi-Speed USB Logo​
USB 2.0 was released in April 2000 (now called "Hi-Speed"), adding higher maximum signaling rate of 480 Mbit/s (due to bus access constraints the effective throughput is limited to 35 MB/s or 280 Mbit/s), in addition to the "USB 1.x Full Speed" signaling rate of 12 Mbit/s.[17][18]

epicboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to all of you who answered my question. Another thing, do different usb flash drives and sd cards have different speeds on the Wii or is it not much of a difference

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks to all of you who answered my question. Another thing, do different usb flash drives and sd cards have different speeds on the Wii or is it not much of a difference

it depends on the carts\flash drivers themselves.... on SD cards there is a symbol which tells you the minimum speed...

iu

this is a class 10 card, see that 10 with a circle? (note this is a mini sd but the symbols are the same on a SD) this is the fastest card a wii can support. (i think.. maybe the wii will not take advantage of its full speed...) there are other classes like 2 4 8 etc... but sometimes a class 10 from one brand is a bit faster than another brand but the difference is not huge because the number (class 10 in this example) means the card is at minimum xxMB/s (don't know the values) but the value can get a bit higher than the minimum by standard. the difference is not noticieable...

as for the usb thumbdrives there are no standarns... except the usb version specifications. a usb 2.0 hispeed (not to confuse with fullspeed) will run at 480 Mbit/s maximum. however you can get a 2.0 flash drive whith speeds at 10Kbit/s (did happen with a chinesse fake kingston)

so for flash drives the only way to tell their maximum speed is to test on the pc.. when you buy one you will know it is 8gb or 16gb etc, but very rarelly will know it's speed when looking at the box...

Reactions: boobmaster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y