Hacking Question Is Switch Hacking Anything Like 3ds Hacking?

Stardust3033

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I hacked my 3DS quite thoroughly with CFW and all but I'm completely new to the Switch hacking scene. I really want to hack my Switch as well but I'm honestly not sure if it's even safe or where to even begin. I looked around several different threads but that seemed to confuse me even more.
Why is the serial number important?
Does my firmware matter?
Do I hack it via Joycon only? Or install files?
Would a 512gb micro sd card be ok?
I'm just in general confused on where to approach this...sorry about making a whole thread.

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey
D

Deleted User

So I hacked my 3DS quite thoroughly with CFW and all but I'm completely new to the Switch hacking scene. I really want to hack my Switch as well but I'm honestly not sure if it's even safe or where to even begin. I looked around several different threads but that seemed to confuse me even more.
Does my firmware matter?
I'm just in general confused on where to approach this...sorry about making a whole thread.

Serial# lets you know if your switch is hackable

Various methods to send payloads and files, dongle, modchip, pc etc

512gb works if real and name brand

Last edited by ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does my firmware matter?
It's quite different from 3DS hacking but in many ways it's easier. It's a lot more basic (at the moment) and a bit more of a hassle to launch.

512GB microSD is fine but at the moment there is only one on the market and that's the one from Integral. Not exactly a name brand or even a trusted brand, but all the other ones are fake.

Stardust3033

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Amazon has real samsung 512gb on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKSGZM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The one you linked I have never tried
Ah so other brands are finally coming out with 512GB microSDs. Took them long enough.
3rd party seller, don't trust them. Fake memory cards are rampant on sites like Amazon and eBay.

Reactions: nutsack

JawhnL5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated awhile back. Before I really thought about hacking. But I'm assuming my serial number doesn't matter anymore huh...
Firmware version matters not if your Switch is not ipatched, which can be determined by either checking your serial number against a range of serial numbers that are known to belong to unpatched units, or by attempting to push a payload via RCM, which is what you would need to do in order to hack your Switch anyway. If pushing a payload via RCM is unsuccessful, then it is very likely that your Switch is ipatched and, being that you are on 7.1.0, would make it unhackable. If it is hackable, then the firmware version would matter not because the current Atmosphère CFW supports firmware versions all the way up to 7.1.0.

coolsimon282

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your serial number is green that means it isn't ipatched, meaning the unit is exploitable and you'll be able to load Atmosphere via an RCM payload.

This is completely regardless of Firmware version as the exploit is a hardware exploit, not a software based one. The newest release of Atmosphere support 7.0.1

Last edited by coolsimon282,

Stardust3033

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware version matters not if your Switch is not ipatched, which can be determined by either checking your serial number against a range of serial numbers that are known to belong to unpatched units, or by attempting to push a payload via RCM, which is what you would need to do in order to hack your Switch anyway. If pushing a payload via RCM is unsuccessful, then it is very likely that your Switch is ipatched and, being that you are on 7.1.0, would make it unhackable. If it is hackable, then the firmware version would matter not because the current Atmosphère CFW supports firmware versions all the way up to 7.1.0.
If your serial number is green that means it isn't ipatched, meaning the unit is exploitable and you'll be able to load Atmosphere via an RCM payload.

This is completely regardless of Firmware version as the exploit is a hardware exploit, not a software based one. The newest release of Atmosphere support 7.0.1
Question? Even after I install CFW, I have to boot into RCM using a jig/paper clip? And would the pictures I have still be saved?

Is 7.1.0 even out yet? Are you sure you don’t mean 7.0.1? If so then it is hackable.
Yes I meant 7.0.1, my bad.

Jesus, what are you going to do with half a terabyte?
Switch games are pretty big, and it's nice to just have extra space incase of anything.

Reactions: trakker1
D

Deleted User

You need to go to RCM everytime you reboot.

Last edited by ,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just boot once with a jig into rcm then push hekate payload and turn on autoRCM. This will make it boot to RCM every time without the jig. It will also prevent you from accidentally booting up OFW the next time a firmware update comes out preserving your fuses and making downgrade very easy

JawhnL5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question? Even after I install CFW, I have to boot into RCM using a jig/paper clip? And would the pictures I have still be saved?
As it currently stands, in the event that your Switch is not ipatched and is able to have payloads successfully pushed to it via RCM, and given that you are on the latest firmware (7.0.1) (Can't believe I said 7.1.0 in my previous post; yikes!), the current methods of loading CFW, or really any other coldboot exploit, are "tethered", and do require you to enter RCM and push a payload each time your Switch powers off for one reason or another. With the most recent release of Atmosphère CFW (0.8.4), in the event that Atmosphère crashes, it is able to reboot directly back into Atmosphère without having to enter RCM again and pushing a payload. This is also true when you restart your Switch via the power menu. As noted in this thread previously, AutoRCM is worth considering; it automatically puts your Switch into RCM in the event that it powers off and you attempt to power it back on. What this means, however, is that if your Switch powers off and you are not in a position where you are able to push a payload to it to load CFW or some other coldboot exploit, your Switch will be unusable until you are able to do so, so this is not for everyone. The use of AutoRCM will also as stated previously, prevent fuses from being burnt after firmware upgrades, which would essentially enable you to downgrade your firmware to whatever firmware version corresponds to the number of already burnt fuses that you have, though that is only in the event that you do not use AutoRCM and coldboot exploits to boot your Switch, otherwise the number of burnt fuses that you have does not entirely matter, but there is a lot to take into consideration when it comes to Switch hacking at the moment.

Baromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And what about online features? I think I read somewhere that you cannot play online anymore with the risk to be banned. Is there any way to still play online?

JawhnL5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what about online features? I think I read somewhere that you cannot play online anymore with the risk to be banned. Is there any way to still play online?
Atmosphère (and possibly other CFWs) implement some measures to try & prevent your system from being banned while running CFW (such as creport, which redirects error logs to your microSD card, rather than sending them to Nintendo's servers. Another measure is blocking some communication with Nintendo's servers overall), while also discouraging some practices that are considered "ban-bait" (such as installing homebrew NSP files, custom themes, custom avatars, etc.), as well as solutions such as 90DNS, which is a DNS solution for blocking most (if not all) communication with Nintendo's servers, thus theoretically preventing a console ban. These aren't guaranteed to work, though, and if you're like me, you will have still gotten banned as a result of your homebrew journeys, but I was also not very careful. Using CFW in airplane mode, and then booting back into OFW when you want to use Nintendo's online services also seems to work rather well from what I have heard.

Reactions: Baromo

Stardust3033

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just boot once with a jig into rcm then push hekate payload and turn on autoRCM. This will make it boot to RCM every time without the jig. It will also prevent you from accidentally booting up OFW the next time a firmware update comes out preserving your fuses and making downgrade very easy
Oh ok, I probably not do this method because I wouldn't want it to boot into it every single time. I was looking more of a button combination like Luma3DS had but it seems we're not that far in switch hacking.

Atmosphère (and possibly other CFWs) implement some measures to try & prevent your system from being banned while running CFW (such as creport, which redirects error logs to your microSD card, rather than sending them to Nintendo's servers. Another measure is blocking some communication with Nintendo's servers overall), while also discouraging some practices that are considered "ban-bait" (such as installing homebrew NSP files, custom themes, custom avatars, etc.), as well as solutions such as 90DNS, which is a DNS solution for blocking most (if not all) communication with Nintendo's servers, thus theoretically preventing a console ban. These aren't guaranteed to work, though, and if you're like me, you will have still gotten banned as a result of your homebrew journeys, but I was also not very careful. Using CFW in airplane mode, and then booting back into OFW when you want to use Nintendo's online services also seems to work rather well from what I have heard.
Honestly, I'm only interested in dumping/injecting saves, and installing themes and games. I'm not interested in online hacking or online play at all while on CFW. Is it possible to install games using CFW on my system AND play them without having to boot into RCM. Same goes for themes.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm only interested in dumping/injecting saves, and installing themes and games. I'm not interested in online hacking or online play at all while on CFW. Is it possible to install games using CFW on my system AND play them without having to boot into RCM. Same goes for themes.

No, only legally owned games can be played without RCM usage to bypass Nitnendo's security.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.