PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone here keep in touch with archeide? Also, would it help if people donated? It probably wouldn't be too hard to convince the people who really want to see a better version to donate $10 or $20, I know I would.

His blog seems to be completely fucked which kind of implies that he's finished. It's sad, that emu is the reason I got my flash cart.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shidori said:
Well, it seems that Super Nes is a complicated system to emulate on the DS, the main system (without special chips) can run fullspeed but the layer priority is a pain to reproduce and was an issue with all emus so far, i'm not a programmer but i doubt that this system will be enjoyable one day from what i've heard (by enjoyable i mean playing a game without messing with the options for every single game)
unsure.gif

I waited for more advanced version of SnemulDS to see if emulation can be improved with time, but now we'll never know! Well, we have jEnesisDS, ApprenticeMinusDS, NeoDS, Lameboy and some others still in development and great (NesDS is great too but not updated anymore) and i believe systems like PCEngine and Neo Geo Pocket will be emulated too in the future
yaynds.gif
Well, there are some ways to indeed go ahead and fix that, but the fixes would most likely bring up other problems.

I friggin' do hate the BG#s on SNES, it's frustrating.

I've been looking up SNEmulDS and haven't seen much progress at all.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BG system is needed because the DS's 2D hardware doesn't contain enough layers to fully emulate all the possible layers of the SNES. A fully software-based renderer would fix nearly all graphical issues and do away with the BG layer system but would be incredibly slow to emulate. You'll notice that the PSP still has speed issues running SNES9X which uses a software renderer, and the PSP has a 333 MHz processor as opposed to the DS's 66 MHz and 33 MHz ones.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what it could possibly do is for each game remember certain settings, and stear the hardware instead of emulating it all the way.. so you could possibly see a flash of a bg layer error but it would be auto-corrected? But you would have to do that for each game separately I guess lotsa work
wink.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Means a larger file, among other things. Not too much larger, but it also means fixing it for every update that includes a new way to deal with this as well.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The history was this:

Back in 2004 (or maybe before; I forget) a SNES emulator for GBA was developed called SNES Advance. It was made by Loopy and Flubba. This was a landmark development in GBA homebrew and shocked everyone. It was capable of playing many games at near or full speed without sound.

A bit later, a new SNES emulator for GBA was developed called Snezziboy. It was capable of running more games at greater speed than SNES Advance. It was made by Bubble2K and had some inspiration and resources from SNES Advance (like the superdat).

Along the way, a person named Gladius developed a preliminary SNES sound engine for the GBA (which was buggy), but later ported and perfected it for the DS. It is now featured in all the SNES emulators for DS and even moonshell (to play SPC's).

With the release of the DS, a port of SNES Advance was made called SNES DS. It had some new feature, the most groundbreaking being sound support. It was ported by Loopy.

Snezziboy was ported to the DS as well by Bubble2k. Renamed SnezziDS, it also featured sound as well as many improvements and compatibility fixes. It even introduced mode7 effects. It was the first SNES DS emulator that had DLDI card support.

Snemul was one of the original SNES emulators developed for PC's back in the 1990's. It was coded by Archeid and ported nearly 10 years later to the DS as Snemulds. It started as a port, but later had to be rewritten into it's own piece of code. A while back, Archeid managed to fuse the cores of SnezziDS and SnemulDS together. This helped increase the speed and compatibility of his emulator as it is today. He added many new features and conveniences such as auto-SRAM saving, touch-screen control for mouse support, and other stuff.

As of now, the last release of a SNES emulator for DS has been SnemulDS last year. No one has heard of Archeid for a while and he seems to have become bored with it. I do think, however, that SNES DS emulators are still a hot topic among developers and has a good future. With JenesisDS, Lameboy and NeoDS; it appears to be a golde age for DS development. I doubt the SNES will be left out for much longer without SOME sort of development.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
With JenesisDS, Lameboy and NeoDS; it appears to be a golde age for DS development. I doubt the SNES will be left out for much longer without SOME sort of development.

Man, I hope you're right. SNemulDS is the shit but I want to be able to play some of the games it doesn't support. When I first got my R4 and I downloaded SNemulDS, it was the first time that I didn't regret selling my SNES. I was floored that I could play Street Fighter II turbo while I took a shit.

The best was playing Earthbound while waiting for my clothes to dry at the laundromat.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Snezziboy was ported to the DS as well by Bubble2k. Renamed SnezziDS, it also featured sound as well as many improvements and compatibility fixes. It even introduced mode7 effects. It was the first SNES DS emulator that had DLDI card support.

Slight correction. SnezziDS does not have DLDI support and in fact runs only on slot-2 devices with GBA compatibility, as it acts like a GBA game does with regard to code execution. Also, Snezziboy was the first emulator to add HDMA support, which for example is used extensively in some levels of DKC2 and DKC3, allowing them to be playable for the first time.

Otherwise an excellent synopsis of the history of SNES emulation on the GBA and DS.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew that but made the mistake anyways. Thanks for correcting it! SNES DS was what confused me. It was updated a while back with DLDI support if but briefly.

I just feel that the SNES is a prime example for DS development. It's considered one of the best video games consoles of all time and is indeed my personal favorite (as well as my first). A system with such an enormous popularity is bound to be developed at some time. Seeing as Archeid seems to have disappeared, it's likely people will get anxious to get the development up again.

I'm being possibly foolishly optimistic. But the SNES being what it is probably won't go long without a new developer looking into it's DS life.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I knew that but made the mistake anyways. Thanks for correcting it! SNES DS was what confused me. It was updated a while back with DLDI support if but briefly.

I just feel that the SNES is a prime example for DS development. It's considered one of the best video games consoles of all time and is indeed my personal favorite (as well as my first). A system with such an enormous popularity is bound to be developed at some time. Seeing as Archeid seems to have disappeared, it's likely people will get anxious to get the development up again.

I'm being possibly foolishly optimistic. But the SNES being what it is probably won't go long without a new developer looking into it's DS life.
ph34r.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30