is psp compatible with a 4gb memory stick pro duo?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bolton2, Dec 10, 2006.

1. bolton2
    OP

bolton2 bolton2

Oct 25, 2002
    United States
    Everywhere and Nowhere :P
    wasnt sure if it had any limits, im proably going to buy just the 2 gig, but all the 4 gigs i see are from 87-100 dollars and thats alot of space. now mind you im only going to be using it for movies and music, but i was just wondering if the psp could handle a 4gb memory stick

also can the newest firmware of psp play straight up avi files or do i actually have to convert the blasted avi files to mp4??

2. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    There is a device from Datel where it was a bulky 4gb HDD. So yeah, I'm sure a 4GB stick will work. As for the AVI question, no. Still gotta be MP4

3. Remy

Remy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2004
    United States
    4gb sticks work fine. I'm using one and i still have a 1.5 psp

4. notchristopher

notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2006
    United States
    4gig is fine for any firmware. 8gig (which i dont think is out yet) tho needs 3.0 firmware i think.

5. CatScam

CatScam ScamaRama!

Apr 29, 2006
    United States
    Wow is that true? I was about to get a 2Gig because I was tolled only the new firmware
    could handle the bigger size cards. But if 1.5 can handle 4Gig I have something to think about. [​IMG]

6. Tri-Z

Tri-Z Tri z

Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    USA
    I pretty sure I heard the psp can support up to 8G memory sticks.
    I use a 4G sandisk.
    I just bought and received this photo chute device (It is for tranferring photos from a digital camera, but it works for the psp), and it works great. It has a 20G hard drive, and the psp can hook to it like it was a computer, to delete and copy stuff to the psp. I heard that this product was discontinued, at least the one with the LCD screen, which is needed if you want to navigate through folders and only copy a few select things, or delete a few select things. Link to product at tiger direct

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...5701&CatId=1028

[​IMG]

7. yee

yee DOTA 4EVER

Jul 9, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    Doesn't matter, because even if 1.5 can't handle a 4GB MSPD, it can still see part of it.

And most of us only use 1.5 to boot up Devhook, so we're home free!

8. CatScam

CatScam ScamaRama!

Apr 29, 2006
    United States
    True 1.5 for Devhook but also homebrew. So will 1.5 not see all of a 4GB SD?
    I’m about to buy a 2 or 4 GB card & this lack of info is now holding me back.

9. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    im using a 4 gb sandisc [​IMG] and im using 1.5 its foes see all of the card

10. adgloride

adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Apr 2, 2003
    Make sure if your paying a lot for a 4gb memory stick that your getting an original one and not a fake.

11. bolton2
    OP

bolton2 bolton2

Oct 25, 2002
    United States
    Everywhere and Nowhere :P

indeed, it would be either a sandisk or a sony one, but after realizing that i can only watch movies in mp4 format, i may just stick with the 2gb as intend on buying my games and using the newest firmware. if i could run any emu on the newest firmware, id prolly get the 4 gig, but for just movies, music, and umd save files 2gb seems like enough. although for full dvd movies, the 4gig sounds nice... i suppose its still a battle :?

eitherway ty for all the help guys

12. No Name Trowa Barton

No Name Trowa Barton Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™

Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    the whole world is in my hands.
    psp 1.50 suports upto 4 i hear 8 is suported to

and 1.50 should suport the HG duo format 32gig cards coming out next year as well.

13. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    Don't worry about getting a PSP with the latest firmware for gods sake!!

PSP's are only awesome when you keep one at 1.5 firmware or update it to a custom firmware. All the others are a pain for homebrew and some cannot even use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice