Hardware Memory Stick not being read PSP 1001

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually might have a solution... I just need the MEMSTICK.IND and MSTK_PRO.IND files to copy to my memory stick. if that works...

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THANK YOU!!! I have searched everywhere on the internet for one of these!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't think it worked...

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am definitely not an expert as I just bought my very first PSP 1000 and experienced this same problem. I was on firmware 3 and didn't have any memory card except a micro sd and memory stick adapter and the unit wouldn't format the sd card. I ended up getting a 4GB memory stick from Amazon (maybe 12 bucks or so) and when I installed it, I could format it and update to CFW 6. After I did that, the PSP was able to format the micro sd in an adapter. I'm guessing that the firmware update "fixed it", but can't be sure. Good luck!
I've also had this happen. The PSP was on an older official firmware and wouldn't read a large Micro SD + memstick pro duo adapter. After updating to the 6.60 official firmware (with a smaller memory stick) I was then able to format the larger one without a problem.

OP, your best bet is to find a way to update.

But also as someone else mentioned, it's very common for the adapters to be dead on arrival. So if you manage to update it and it still won't format on the PSP, it's probably down to the adapter.

One final thing to try is to test the Micro SD with h2testw. You'll need to format it on your PC before running the test.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the best option is to buy the cheapest low capacity (64MB or higher) Memory Stick Pro Duo you can find and install the update via that memory stick. Just make sure you don't buy a dud or a non-branded one or you may face the same problem. Sony, SanDisk, and Lexar all seem to have produced MagicGate-compatible MS Pro Duos that should do the trick, so it'll just come down to what you can find cheapest where you are. Shouldn't be much more than $10-15 and would make resolving this issue a lot easier. I don't think there's another way around it at this point.

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so I got a photofast duo adaptor. When I put the sd card in the second slot, the orange light blinks faster, but still does not work.

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The duo memory stick does not work for me at all

I should just give up. Or, it might be the psp itself, or the micro sd card.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
The duo memory stick does not work for me at all

I should just give up. Or, it might be the psp itself, or the micro sd card.

Why did you buy another adapter to try instead of an actual Memory Stick Pro Duo? That's what we all seemed to conclude would probably allow for you to update the system.

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok... so I just figured out that it was the way that I formatted it... It had to be FAT. Not extFAT or FAT32, FAT.

I had tried a 511mb sd card with my adapter and it worked in slot 1. But if im going to mod it, im going to need at least 16 gb. I have a 16 gb sandisk micro sd card.

daxyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure will

It's just going to update as soon as it charges :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat