Is Pokémon X/Y compatible with a Pokébank from another region?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Blueie, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    I have an American 3DS, so I can only download the US Pokémon Bank. But I can't find any US dumps of Pokémon XY, so I'm playing the European versions. So does anyone know if it's possible to use the American Pokébank app with these versions?

2. PanCyan

PanCyan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    United States
    You can use Pokemon Bank with any legit Pokemon cartridge from any region.

You cannot use Pokemon bank with cartridge dumps.

3. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Are you sure? It seemed to work when I had my 3DS in Gateway mode. I just to make sure the ROM was "selected", e.g. that it showed as being inserted in the cartridge slot.

But to answer OP's question - yes, it works with all regions. The romFS is identical everywhere, it's just the update bit that makes the game not truly region free.

4. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    People confirmed pokebank worked with the newest GW update

I believe the reason pokebank didn't work before was because you couldn't access the app on 7.0 emunand, it had nothing to do with the dump/rom itself

5. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Makes sense to me.
    I tried it using 8.1 emuNAND on Gateway 2.3.

6. Tikvah

Tikvah Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    Iceland
    תֵּל־אָבִיב
    I already have a Pokemon Bank subscription on my retail 3DS. Is there any way for me to use that? Or do I have to buy another subscription in order to use it on my Gateway?

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I don't think there's any way to do that. You'll probably just have to buy another subscription if you want to use it there too.

8. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    So there shouldn't be any problems. Great to know, thanks!

9. alexenochs

alexenochs GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    United States
    Pokebank defiantly works with gateway I've been using it

10. excalibrax

excalibrax Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2012
    United States
    You can do a transfer from a non gateway to a gateway device providing that you are running the same Version number in non gateway device and gateway device emunand, and they both must be the current version. Thus transfering the pokebank subscription.

Now the only downside is times when nintendo updates, and gateway is behind on versions like it was for 7 for a while, this cannot be done, and you will lose online store access and access to updates on games. So there are future drawbacks.

Here is a guide on the forums. http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-t...ginal-3ds-to-gateway-3ds.371282/#post-5097922