Hacking Question Is pin 1 important?

Bitsoft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a paperclip jig for a while and I checked out my pins today and pin 1 looks "pressed in" compared to the rest. The joycon and everything still works fine but I'm worried how bad it would be if the pin stopped working and if I should get another console before the new hardware fix comes out.

NinjaSushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a paperclip jig for a while and I checked out my pins today and pin 1 looks "pressed in" compared to the rest. The joycon and everything still works fine but I'm worried how bad it would be if the pin stopped working and if I should get another console before the new hardware fix comes out.
My joycon rail is looking the same. After continuous insertion and removal of the paperclip jig, the rail will eventually be worn down to the point of no return. At that point you can just purchase a new rail and swap it out. If you want to keep yours though, just try and minimize its use

Bitsoft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worse comes to worse you can just get a new rail from ebay
The metal part with the five screws? Does it simply slide off when those five screws are out or do I have to open up the console?

Do you have a link please? I can't find it via search. Does Amazon sell them?

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The metal part with the five screws? Does it simply slide off when those five screws are out or do I have to open up the console?

Do you have a link please? I can't find it via search. Does Amazon sell them?
I'm not sure about amazon, but google how to remove the rail on switch, I'm sure there are all sorts of tuts out there

Reactions: Bitsoft

Bitsoft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pin 1 is actually a home button but is only used to access the Rcm mode. Pin 2 and 7 though are ground however. if you bridge pin 1 and 2 however it will only count as home button press if the joycon is inserted
So the pin won't cause any problems while playing in the future?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pin 1 is actually a home button but is only used to access the Rcm mode. Pin 2 and 7 though are ground however. if you bridge pin 1 and 2 however it will only count as home button press if the joycon is inserted
Pin 10 is the home button, pin 1 is GND. Check your facts (or the link I provided as source).

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I’m currently waiting for a new rail lol, although the joycon I used to bend pin 9 into 10 still works but my normal joy-con does not work because it’s flat and I can’t charge it

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, In a long time, I'm holding the other edge of the wire, act as GND by myself.
What? So you mean if I just make a small copper pads attached outside my joy-con it just need to be soldered to a single pin (pin 10) and then I just need to touch the copper pad and it enters RCM?

CAN A ELECTRONICS EXPERT PLZ REPORT IF THIS WOULD WORK?

Last edited by guily6669,

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? So you mean if I just make a small copper pads attached outside my joy-con it just need to be soldered to a single pin (pin 10) and then I just need to touch the copper pad and it enters RCM?

CAN A ELECTRONICS EXPERT PLZ REPORT IF THIS WOULD WORK?

If you are implying that you can use your human body as the ground for pin 10. It will not work, or at least would be unreliable. It's hard to say for sure without 1) testing 2) knowing the input impedance and pull up value on pin 10. Though, in most normal designs where the pull up impedance is likely 10k or 100k it wouldn't work reliably as the human body is usually in the hundreds of kohms (mostly skin resistance) It's 10k or lower when pressed hard, sweaty or otherwise moist.

Personally I think the jigs are a very bad idea and people are likely to have pin connection problems with the joycon down the road as the pins are over stressed and the plating is damaged due to fretting and scratching by materials like steel (paper clip). The pins in the switch are likely beryllium copper, or phosphor bronze (both softish but springy) with a nickle followed by gold plating (hardish but still pretty soft). They aren't going to hold up super well over the medium term.

Reactions: SoLongGayBowser

Scottla94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about getting a replacement joy con slider then and bridge pin 1 and 2 at the flex cable solder points would that trigger rcm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...