Hacking Is OTPless A9LH Safe?

• Thread starter Deleted-394630
  • Start date
  • Views 12,223
  • Replies 129

Did you brick while using the OTPless A9LH installation method?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I know, I've had it happen, which is why I always double check the firmware version even if I've loaded it from emunand, and if it appears to reboot while I'm in system settings I shut down and start over. I'm OCD about making sure I don't update my sysnand :)
Good that you're careful, but it makes more sense to me, if climbing a mountain, to just put on a safety harness instead of saying, "I'm the special, careful one, different from all the countless others, who won't slip". Maybe you are, but is saving 30 seconds not putting on the harness really worth the risk of the fall to your death?

D

Deleted User

OP
I find this quite interesting.Most of everyone getting bricked with the otpless method are people who have more than 1 N3ds and can afford to brick,while people who are sticking to menuhax probably don't want to brick there only 3ds they own.Not everyone is made of MONEY$$$,so it's still pretty smart to go the cautious route or accept the risks before they happen.

Last edited by ,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I find this quite interesting.Most of everyone getting bricked with the otpless method are people who have more than 1 N3ds and can afford to brick,while people who are sticking to menuhax probably don't want to brick there only 3ds they own.Not everyone is made of MONEY$$$,so it's still pretty smart to go the cautious route or accept the risks before they happen.
well I know to some people having a bricked console would be a major hit to their income, which is why I would prefer the risk be acknowledged and everyone be given a honest warning rather than implying that it's only idiots and noobs with crap sd cards that brick as it's not, it's just a random very very rare bug that can affect anyone running the installer even if they did everything correctly.........that said there is no reports of bricks with 2.6.7 so far, but with it being a rare bug it may be a while before we get another hit if it's not fixed

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good that you're careful, but it makes more sense to me, if climbing a mountain, to just put on a safety harness instead of saying, "I'm the special, careful one, different from all the countless others, who won't slip". Maybe you are, but is saving 30 seconds not putting on the harness really worth the risk of the fall to your death?
There will be nothing stopping me from installing A9LH when I actually need it, and until then the only risk I run is updating, which won't happen, and if I were careless enough to make that mistake, would you really recommend I install A9LH myself? Why should I spend an hour and half installing something that I don't need yet, and may in fact never need, and which could lead to a possible brick even if I do everything correctly?

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to take the cautious route, you don't downgrade in the first place. There is more risk of something going wrong and you don't have a backup...

D

Deleted User

OP
If you want to take the cautious route, you don't downgrade in the first place. There is more risk of something going wrong and you don't have a backup...
Correct.Once you downgrade there is no going back

chaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly, OTPless a9lh install method seems to have been completely removed from Plailect guide. I would have preferred to have been given the option to go OTPless or 2.1.0 ctrtransfer

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, OTPless a9lh install method seems to have been completely removed from Plailect guide. I would have preferred to have been given the option to go OTPless or 2.1.0 ctrtransfer

All you have to do is skip the entire 2.1.0 ctrtransfer step, and use the Homebrew Launcher to launch the latest release of SafeA9LHInstaller in the place of the 2.1.0 method of launching an older version of SafeA9LHInstaller that the guide tells you to do.

It was likely removed because a non-trivial number of bricks happened with OTPless and I'm not sure if anyone really knows why. I'd recommend just taking the extra step and go through the 2.1.0 route.

Reactions: Skyshadow101

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Whilst the guide couldn't have ever been clearer about the potential for a brick I think its great the OTP-less install has been removed, being that it was without a shadow of a doubt less safe than the CTRtransfer method. I feel terrible for everyone affected (users and devs alike) but I'm surprised it wasn't removed a lot earlier.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why the hell was it removed for only a small number of bricks?
Seriously, there's been more bricks related to the 2.1 method than the OTPLess method. There's no reason to remove with so few bricks. It's only adding unneeded panic.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: KytuzuEX

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The brick were completely random and every attempt to fix them only caused more bricks. The dev can't pin down (or recreate) the problem so they have to push random updates and see if it works.
But it's still a small number of bricks, not really enough remove it from the guide.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If it ever happened to you, you'd never go OTPLess install again.

And it happened to a flood of people compared to the massively more likely standard user error issues of other bricks.
That's complete bullshit actually. Every form of hacking comes with a risk and I go into every hack full knowing that this might end up breaking my system. That's the cost of hacking.
There's a small number of people who've bricked as a result of this method. I am willing to risk a small chance of bricking.

Reactions: Zidapi

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell was it removed for only a small number of bricks?
Seriously, there's been more bricks related to the 2.1 method than the OTPLess method. There's no reason to remove with so few bricks. It's only adding unneeded panic.

How many people have actually bricked from N3DS 2.1 ctrtransfer? The only ones I've heard of downgraded to 2.1 and then left their system in sleep mode on 2.1.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How many people have actually bricked from N3DS 2.1 ctrtransfer? The only ones I've heard of downgraded to 2.1 and then left their system in sleep mode on 2.1.
Still a brick, still worth noting when it happens.
The OTPLess method isn't completely safe, but it's also not completely unsafe.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well that's the thing the 2.1 bricks are caused by something determinable, you can avoid going into sleep mode, or leaving your 3ds in idle on 2.1, but you cannot avoid hitting install on the otpless , so while you may have bricks on ctrtransfer they are caused by user ignorance rather than just a totally random unavoidable game of chance

don't get me wrong it's a shame as otpless is/was really good, maybe the guide could be given both options with a frank warning before proceeding with otpless about the real risks

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if...