Hacking Is now safe downgrade a N3DS?

D

Deleted User

Hi, is now safe downgrade a N3DS? If it isn, what is the problem?

Use the search button. There are literally dozens of threads about this.

The most recent builds of sysUpdater have become much more stable and are relatively safe but that means there is still a nonzero chance of a hard brick.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wait for KTM to be released.

JustPingo himself explains that it won't change anything.
The steps are the same.

If you use the last sysUpdater and you check your files (checksum), everything should be ok.
There is still a risk of brick because you are modifying system files but the risk will be the same with KTM...

Reactions: Tony_92

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
JustPingo himself explains that it won't change anything.
The steps are the same.

If you use the last sysUpdater and you check your files (checksum), everything should be ok.
There is still a risk of brick because you are modifying system files but the risk will be the same with KTM...

That's not what the guy that made the downgrading tutorial thread said in the OP.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's not what the guy that made the downgrading tutorial thread said in the OP.

The new sysUpdater has a far less chance of bricking your system. You may encounter a soft-brick, but that's easily fixed. It'll be the same thing with KTM, just verify your files and follow the steps exactly as written. It isn't hard, and it's nowhere near as dangerous as it was when first released.

Reactions: thatbooisaspy

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't have to wait for KTM if you know what you're doing (verifying checksums yourself, not failing to choose your pack, etc.)

At this point, KTM won't be more stable. It will just be safe in case you're not. It will also try to fix the kind of mistakes that can happen with sysUpdater, but not a lot really.

Neru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really that safe, my N3DS got bricked from trying to downgrade. Had to send it to Nintendo as well even though they charge like 85$ lol. But oh well, I learned my lesson. Just make sure you can access your Nand via hardmod.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
He's not the one making KTM though. KTM uses the same exact downgrading methods (InstallFirm and InstallCia). All KTM does is hash checking and making sure you are installing the right version to your system console. It cuts out all user error so the only thing that bricks it is bad luck.

Is a so-called "hard brick" possible on a N3DS due to bad luck?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I believe sysupdater has updated so if it does brick, it's a soft-brick. Don't know, i've been just following the forum for updates which is a really bad idea.

There's a version out which installs native_firm last.. I think that's how it should have been from the start, but it drastically reduces any chance of a hard brick.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Memchunkhax2 is very unstable on new 3ds (much worse than old 3ds in my tests).
A lot of that has to do with Steveice not having a new3ds (I think).

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No hard brick since the new release of SysUpdater.
The problem with the first build is that it deletes all the CIA and it installs the part useful for the "Safe_firm" (recovery to upgrade to the last firm in case the downgrade fails) at the end. The problem is that if you've got a problem, you can't update to 10.3, you're screwed.

Now with the latest build, the safe_firm is installed first. Then sysupdater deletes a CIA and replace it, one after the other. (It doesn't delete everything and then install everything, it's CIA per CIA)

At the moment, except if the native_firm install fails (I don't think that it happened with the latest builds), I don't think you can hard-brick the 3DS. You can soft-brick, but you just have to boot into the recovery menu to update to 10.3 and retry.

It's not entirely safe but the risk is quite small atm.

I did a downgrade, 9.9E to 9.2E, no problem, not even at the reboot.
The most difficult part is to boot memchunkhax2 because usually it fails to get the permissions. Once sysupdater got those permissions, no problem.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe sysupdater has updated so if it does brick, it's a soft-brick. Don't know, i've been just following the forum for updates which is a really bad idea.

Oh, I thought doing this on an N3DS could risk you getting hard bricked. Anyway, it doesn't bother me. I have an O3DS and the process worked fine.

:yay3ds: O3DS MASTER RACE! :yay3ds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.