Hacking Is my R4 a clone?

Rugos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey.

I got my R4 a while back, and played DS games on it, fine. (I assumed it was the legit one.) Some games didn't work (white screen/freezing, etc.), but I was to young to understand why and to lazy to bother finding out. Now that I'm playing my DS again, I've been trying to install Wood R4 (R4 Wood?) on my DSL, which works fine, but when trying to boot roms, I get a WSoD. Some poking around the cyberspace informed me that R4 clones SEEM to work with wood, but crash when doing anything other then running through the GUI. So here I am, asking if my R4 is a clone.
51.jpg

^ That's the cart I have, except; between the big "R4" and the "Revolution for DS", it says "Upgrade" in the same shiny font/text as the rest of it. (Not Upgrade III, just Upgrade)

Another thing: whilst looking through youtube unboxing vids, I realized that most of those came with USB adapters, whereas mine came with an adapter chip. (?)

Edit: Another difference; the text on the image is white, whereas the text on my flashcart is foil/holo silver.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't be so harsh, guys. Some people don't understand flash carts.

To be honest, any R4 cartridge that is called anything but "R4 Revolution for DS" is a clone. Most of these cartridges don't work with any of the new firmware, so you'll have to rely on the official firmware or YSmenu, but YSmenu doesn't work on all R4 clones and hasn't been updated in ages.

In any case, you may want to buy a new flash cart. If you can, try to get a Supercard DS Two. If you want to go cheap, go for an Acekard 2i. As I didn't buy my flash cart (it came with the DS a friend gave me before he moved), I can't suggest any websites to use, so you'll be on your own on that front.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: