Is modding switch lite worth it?

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got done installing an RP2040 kit on my switch lite and I found that the installation was a bit challenging. I imagined it would be much simpler than the Oled which I have modded a few of by this point, it turned out to be almost as hard as the Oled minus the clk scratch.

With the OLED the upgrade is clear, but for this install, I feel like it was quite a lot of work for the result.

Anyways, I just wanted to share with everyone and wanted to get some opinions on whether the mod is worth it fort he lite. To me it seems like it would be easier to get a v1/v2 to mod since they are about the same price used.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I have an un-patched Erista which basically just needs a paper clip and you're done...But battery performance sucks balls so I've been thinking of getting either a Switch Lite to mod, or a SteamDeck and lately a Legion Go for those long train rides.

Am not a phone person and can't stand phones so I simply space out while on the train.

While others around me have phones glued to their faces, I need me a handheld that can go maybe 7 hours on batt.

Btw my Erista cost over $500 used on eBay in 2020, just the Tablet, no Joy-Cons, no Switch dock and no charger, so was not worth it once the SteamDeck released shortly after.

Last edited by HellGhast,

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mod for the lite isnt horrible but its probably 80% of the level of effort for the oled. So from a modder perspective, you gotta have a reason for the lite. Oled, latest model. Makes sense. V2, easiest install. Makes sense. Lite, not the best model and close to as hard as oled... not a lot of sense being made there unless you or a client want a lite specifically. Or if you are going as cheap as possible. Its really easy to get a lite is solid shape for 80 bucks and have a modded switch for as little as possible.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
what made you think what Lite (smaller in everything) will be easiest than OLED installation?

any modchip is a challenge and need some set of skills.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what made you think what Lite (smaller in everything) will be easiest than OLED installation?

any modchip is a challenge and need some set of skills.
OLED was said to be the hardest. I've modded a few OLEDs and they are hard, but I read that the Lite was easier than the OLED. It was a little bit easier, but the connections were still challenging.

I would say about 80% as hard as OLED like someone above said. I guess with the OLED you get a super nice screen for your efforts. I also don't use flex cables for install because I heard they aren't good. Flex cable seems like it would make the installation much easier.

If I had to chose between a n3ds XL and a switch lite, I would get n3ds xl every day.

Reactions: impeeza

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest lite ribbon cable (the gold one) is reliable. I would use wire instead of the old black version of the cable, but the gold version is solid and I use it often.

AKNES

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hi guys @impeeza @Nephiel @Blakejansen
I'm here.
You can find me at any time
Post automatically merged:

Brand is Gulikit, available on Amazon. AKNES is the (official I guess?) distributor, and they have good support, even an account here on GBAtemp.
AKNES is the exclusive agent of GuliKit.
GuliKit has not yet sold directly to users.
The GuliKit brand on Amazon, you can see that in the location of the seller, it is always a third -party seller. Everyone is just authorized and can use the GuliKit brand on Amazon to sell GuliKit's products.

• Love
Reactions: Jayro and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played