Is it safe to take out the sd card at anytime

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by JJBro1, May 8, 2008.

May 8, 2008
  1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ever since i bricked on of my sd cards by taking it out of the computer without safely removing it, i've been paranoid about taking sd cards out of anything. So i was wondering if its safe to take out sd cards while playing in the middle of a game. Right now i'm turning the whole thing off and then taking it out which is pretty inconvenient.

2. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yea its safe.

3. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    Unless it is currently wirting to it, then yes it is saved. If you're saving something on it, it might get corrupted.

4. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I corrupted one and nothing can read it. In camera's it just says i need to format it over, and over, and over again. can it be fixed or is it bricked?

5. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Use a proffesional formatter, unlike windows built-in shit

6. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I didnt know you could. Any recomendations?

7. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
  8. tredes

Member tredes GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  9. retrospect

Member retrospect GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    They aren't f*d they're merely corrupt. Any decent formatting tool can sort them out.

Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with the Windows formatting tools if you know what you're doing. If the drive doesn't show up in 'My Computer' go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Comp Management > Logical Drives, and right click the SD card or USD drive. Format as FAT and/or assign a drive letter.

You could also use a search engine to learn about FDISK (Windows) and CFDISK (Linux). CFDISK on a Linux 2.4 Kernel is about as good as you can get. It's always good to learn things.

10. dreaman06

Newcomer dreaman06 Newbie

Argentina
    I have a problem with my SD card. I decided to install some wads on my Wii, so I tried with my old SD Kingston of 1 Gb (the same I use with my Supercard), but my Wii does not recognize it. I tried to format it to FAT, FAT32, no only from Windows, i use other programs too but with no results.

Then I decided to buy a new one, a micro SD Kingston of 2 Gb with adapter but my PC not recognize it!!!, but my Wii can read it!!!! WTF!!

I´m really lost, i´m trying to format it with HP USB DISK STORAGE FORMAT TOOL V2.0.6, from Windows and Hard Disk low Level Format Tool, but they dont recpoognize this card, just the old one (!!!).

I´m using the built in card reader of my Epson CX4500, if that mathers.

The most crazy about this is my Wii who can read the new SD but not the old one, and the oposite with my PC.

11. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i'd say their both fucked up... all you need to know is kingston has a life time warranty... use it.

12. dreaman06

Newcomer dreaman06 Newbie

Argentina
    Yes, tomorrow I will try in my work, after that I will go to the shop for an exchange, but its really extrange, the Wii recognize the card but the PC does not. Maybe its the card reader??