Hacking Is it possible to update legit disc games offline?

jjonesmnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
I recently picked up a PS4 Pro that I'm keeping offline in the hopes that an 8.0 exploit eventually drops. I've picked up a couple single player game discs to play in the interim. Using Orbis Patches site I see there are some updates that require lower firmware than 8.0 that I'm on. Is it possible to update legit games without the system being exploitable and preventing the system from update PS firmware? I did some searching on the boards as well as Google but couldn't find a straight answer.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so. though, I could've sworn blocking updates as per my first tutorial still allowed game updates to install, but I might be wrong.

Reactions: KiiWii

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think updates are like both psv and ps3 where it connects to an xml file. that's how you know whether or not all updates are needed or just the latest one or rather that's how the system knows. I thought it was only a ps3 thing, but helping someone decrypt a pkg on the vita yielded the fact that the vita does the same thing, so I assume the ps4 is also the same, since it comes from the same team as the vita.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, a different method for any firmware to simply install pkgs (fake or otherwise). No exploit, no hen involved.

No you won’t be able to play fake pkg you install without HEN. So to do that you’ll need a fully exploited firmware (5.05/6.72/7.02)

Source ? I would like to keep my eyes on it as well. :)

jjonesmnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
Very interesting, appreciate the responses! Does anyone happen to know if the PS4 utilizes certificate pinning? Once the game discs arrive, I'll do some testing on local network. I run network monitor / DNS server from Raspi so one thought was to try and do some selective sync holing.

jjonesmnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
For those that may run into this same situation I figured I'd post an update. I finally got some disc games and confirmed the updates didn't require newer firmware. I had to set up a PSN account but I was able to prevent the latest firmware from being downloaded. Once the updates finish downloading, I'm planning on taking my PS4 back offline.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For those that may run into this same situation I figured I'd post an update. I finally got some disc games and confirmed the updates didn't require newer firmware. I had to set up a PSN account but I was able to prevent the latest firmware from being downloaded. Once the updates finish downloading, I'm planning on taking my PS4 back offline.

BTW you can use the OMSK method to update legit games with matching CUSA ID legit update pkgs.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/aio-ps4-exploit-guide.497858/page-479#post-9355975

https://orbispatches.com/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1