Question Is it possible to port Star Wars Jedi Academy

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by MovieMan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MovieMan
    OP

MovieMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    I was wondering if it would even be possible for this game to be ported. It runs on openGL and the source code was publicly released in 2013. The game has been even ported to android (JK3 Touch) This would be awesome if possible even though interest is probably low for it.

lordelan likes this.
  2. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    It's surely possible, especially since we already got an id Tech 3 game running on Switch (Quake III Arena on ioquake3) but I personally don't have the skills for this, though it shouldn't be too hard.

3. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Sure is possible, hope we get it soon or later.

4. landysmods

landysmods Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    That and Jedi Knight Outcast are among my favourites of all time. I tried those jk touch ports a few years ago, but they don't seem to work with modern android devices (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong).
    If only Lucasarts still existed, and we may have got some remastered classics... sigh..

lordelan likes this.
  5. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    Maybe a noob question but, back in the day I played Megaman vs Metroid, it was awesome. It was a flash game, is there a way to port it or emulate it on the switch currently? I would surely love that game on the go.

6. thelolotov

thelolotov Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, the source code is out, a game running on the same base engine (Quake III) has already been ported, this is entirely possible, it's just niche enough that I'm afraid nobody's probably going to try.

I may take a crack at it myself, but don't expect anything, I suck at programming.

lordelan likes this.
  7. lifetolifeless

lifetolifeless Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2007
    United States
    If you port it, I will 1000% try it.

I sank hundreds of hours playing the campaign and the online duels. And that's not including modding badass sabers.

8. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Maybe the port can become a core in RetroArch? Let's hope.

9. thelolotov

thelolotov Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2013
    United States
    Like I said, really, don't expect anything, my programming knowledge largely consists of Visual Basic, if anything even came of it, it'd probably be a barely-playable mess.

lordelan and MovieMan like this.
  10. MovieMan
    OP

MovieMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    I would totally test it for you if you do this!!

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    @fgsfds already addressed this. The problem is the dynamic linking (just like Xash) so it is a much more involved solution rather than a simple port.

thelolotov and lordelan like this.
  12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    This would make me damn happy. Already asked for it a few times in Q1 and Q3 threads. If it'd even support mods then I'm totally done!
    Gladly I kept all the fantastic mods from the past that were available back then (and are not any longer now).

13. thelolotov

thelolotov Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2013
    United States
    I may have to nag you for access to your store, unfortunately I didn't backup everything I wanted before Filefront's demise.

14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    I only have a few but I found them so entertaining that I reinstalled them every few years I reinstalled Jedi Academy. So yeah, whenever you want them, PM me. :)
    (with "all" I meant "all I downloaded back then")

Last edited by lordelan, Oct 12, 2018
  15. MovieMan
    OP

MovieMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Ah mod support would be rad. So many good mods. Still have some on my old windows XP pc.