Is it possible to port Five Nights at Freddy's to DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Mr. Elementle, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Elementle
    OP

Mr. Elementle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    I would like to start learning to program ds games, but before i got started on a project like this i wanted to ask some more experienced programmers if this would be possible, or if it would be to dificult or unrealistic for the ds's low processing power

2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    A port is definitely out of the question. You'd probably have to rebuild it from the ground up.

Tomato Hentai and Vulpes Abnocto like this.
  3. GalaxianPirate

GalaxianPirate Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2015
    United States
    Outside Your Window
    I'm currently learning DS homebrew coding as a 2nd hobby, so I MAY, EMPHASIS ON MAY, attempt to take this on as my first real project.

Don't quote me on that, did I mention I only MAY try it?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The DS is *terrible* at any form of video and there's next to no homebrew codecs that would allow you to easily implement full screen animated segments of the game - take that from someone who's been dabbling in DS homebrew for years now. You could make a very similar game, you could make the game from the ground up and strip all the video away (perhaps replace it with scalable sprites?), but a 1:1 port is impossible unless you have loads of experience and you're capable of coding an extremely lightweigh video codec.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    ...Or he could just use the same popular video codecs that the big game publishers use.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Because those are freely available, grow on trees and are compatible with devKit Pro. No, he can't use MobiClip or anything of the sort and DPG is closed source, so his best bet would be starting from scratch or picking up the old Eponasoft codec source and trying to get it to work on the current devkit (good luck if you're a beginner), either way I say fat chance he'll be successful.

Skelletonike and BORTZ like this.
  7. GalaxianPirate

GalaxianPirate Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2015
    United States
    Outside Your Window
    Well that was a big blow to my confidence.

At the very least I'm gonna make it show the fan running, because who doesn't want more of that awesome FNAF desk fan.

8. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    MobiClip was the one I was thinking of. It can't be that difficult to reverse-engineer the codecs dumped from a DS ROM. (From a standpoint of someone who knows what they're doing, I'm no programmer or engineer)

9. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The fan running could be a static sprite animation, like a GIF, or animated PNG. :)

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can easily animate any object up to 64x64 by isolating it as a sprite, you can also animate 128x128 objects by doubling the size of a 64x64 sprite, anything beyond that will require either using textures with frames or animated backgrounds which take loads of space. You can get around this by splicing big objects into several small sprites - think around the limitations and be mindful of RAM/VRAM, you only have 4MB/700-odd KB. It can be done if you cut some segments out, but it won't be easy. ;)

11. GalaxianPirate

GalaxianPirate Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2015
    United States
    Outside Your Window
    Unless this rip I just got is incomplete (which there is no reason it shouldn't be complete), there are no videos in FNAF... only images and sounds.

Maybe this could be possible after all.

Jayro likes this.
  12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You have to think about the legality of what you're suggesting. That and MobiClip is already spreading it thin - add gameplay on both screens on top of the stream and the DS won't keep up. NightFox had a codec that'd be perfect for this, but he never released the source and I think it's discontinued now.

13. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I never think of legality, it doesn't mean shit to me, since reverse-engineering is legal where I live. As long as you do it and don't profit from your findings, you're fine. :3

Margen67 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    By videos I don't mean a particular format, I mean an animation that takes the whole screen, like the Foxy chase scenes.

While we're on the subject of animation, I'd like to point out that the DS gets all worked up and sweaty processing a small .GIF, let alone a long full screen one - it's generally not great with rasters, that's why people use tiled sprites which are far more lightweigh - the DS was designed to work with those, full Bitmaps are harder to work with.

I'd also like to point out that I don't mean to discourage, rather I'm suggesting picking realistic goals. I do not doubt anyone's skills in programing, I just very much doubt that the DS has enough memory and juice to handle a 1:1 FNAF port without some serious coding gymnastics.

BORTZ likes this.
  15. GalaxianPirate

GalaxianPirate Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2015
    United States
    Outside Your Window
    Out of curiosity, do you think a PSP could handle a 1:1 port? Or maybe with a few features cut out?

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I think it could handle the game relatively well, definitely better than the DS at least, but on the DS you have the advantage of two screens, so you could put the tablet on the bottom one. Everything depends on how flexible you'll be, how you'll adapt and convert the resources and how you'll convert the thing. FNAF isn't a game that has high requirements, it's just awkward on the DS in the sense that there's no models in it whatsoever, everything is based on pre-rendered raster graphics and you can't fit a lot of'em in the DS's RAM and VRAM. If you do manage to adapt all of the graphics to tiled sprites and backgrounds and cut out or re-do the animated sequences, it's doable on both platforms.

17. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    It's 2015 dude. You're better off trying to do this on a 3DS. :P

I don't think the DS will handle this game.

18. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

19. Haloguy2002

Haloguy2002 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2014
    United States
    I think it will be possible to port fnaf to the ds.

20. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    Not port. Remake it, yes, but with difficultly.