1. JuanMena

OP JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    I'll try to be brief:

I have 2 GC controllers.
    One was mine and the other my dad's.

Mine has the Control Stick loose and won't reach Deadzones. So while gaming, characters walks instead of running when pushed to the limit

Dad's has the same but with C-Stick. And when I opened it, I noticed it was sticky and smelled like candy.
    So R and L trigers wouldn't work properly and A button would hold it's place when pressed.

So I made a working Controller with my controller's C-Stick and button membranes on my dad's controller pcb.

Now I want to repurpose remaining parts (my controller's pcb and wire with remaining buttons) into an SNES LIKE Gamecube Controller.

Is it possible to solder cables on the Gamecube pcb traces to do so?
    Is it possible to desolder non working C-Stick and wire buttons to it?
    Control Stick doesn't work anyways, so D-Pad would be perfect for Retroarch and Emulators on Wii.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Most sticks are analogue and I don't think they have limit switches/"is pressed" options on those ones (such things are a rarity in general and usually more for industrial equipment where it properly matters and the expense is justified). Offhand I don't know what sense method they use (rotary encoder, magnetic, resistive, optical... most tend to be resistive but hey) but if you did want to go down that path you could probably figure out what method is used and have it feed the appropriate signal back in.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I would just replace the faulty sticks.

4. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    Those analog sticks use potentiometers for X and Y movement, and the signal data is controlled in software.

You could use them on another system (like on a PC with an adapter) and calibrate them as needed. Actually, the NGC controller needs to be calibrated once connected to a PC using an adapter, or the game character won't move at full speed when the stick is moved all the way in any direction.

You can rewire the control stick pads and all the buttons, and use them on a diferent case (shell), just need to adjust the size and fit them inside correctly.

5. JuanMena

Mexico
    Mmmm ... I guess I'll replace both Sticks.

What I wanted to do was to completely ditch the Control Stick and use the Dpad for Emulators and other 2D games and at the same time, take the PCB and put it on an SNES controller.

I'm not trying to reuse a GC controller for a computer.
    I wanted to reshape a bad GC controller into a SNESLIKE controller for my Wii.

Either way, thanks.

6. BigOnYa

BigOnYa Sofa King Special

United States
    Plenty of free "controller" designs avail on 3D print sites (Thingiverse, etc), if you have access to, or a friend with a 3D printer...Can install working parts, d pad, etc into a new controller case, just a thought.

Last edited by BigOnYa, Jan 15, 2021
    JuanMena likes this.
  7. JuanMena

Mexico
    :P I don't have friends.
    Lol, but seriously, I guess I'll just buy this:
    [​IMG]

BigOnYa likes this.
  8. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I think I remember looking at those once, but they were always outrageously expensive. They're not any easier to find now, are they?

9. JuanMena

Mexico
    Unfortunately no. They're nit easy to find which is why I assumed to naje one with the parts of both GC controllers.
    But as JDbye said, it's easier to replace both sticks than buying this Hori controller.

10. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
    Global Moderator

United States
    Possible, absolutely. Easy, eh, kind of a hassle. You'd have to use a razor or fiberglass pen or something to scrape solder mask off of the traces so you have actual copper to solder to.

Yes, but you'll likely want to make sure you have an in-line resistor on each direction to make sure that when you press the button, it gives the same resistance as the stick pot when it's at full-tilt. Looking at some old cheapo clone ones for Xbox 360 controllers it looks to be about 680 ohms. The genuine Alps ones might read different... in fact, they probably do, given the problems I've had with these ones in the past, and it may be different for a Gamecube piece too. Honestly, not sure what would happen if you don't use the resistor. May be fine, may damage an IC on the controller, haven't looked into it.

On top of that, you'll have to design or repurpose a case and a way to mount it all and what not.

Doable, absolutely.

But as a guy with multiple soldering irons and multiple 3D printers, frankly that's not even a project I'd feel like undertaking, to be totally honest. It's a ton of work for what is, in my eyes, not a huge payoff, when there are other things on the market for not a ton of money that'll accomplish the same thing in a sleek purpose-built package. But don't let my opinion deter you if it's something you're determined to do, hell, if you do decide to go through with it I could probably even give you a few pointers along the way. Many years ago I built a (really shitty) coffee table with fight stick controls built into it for a friend, all based off of an Xbox 360 controller. It worked but it sure as hell wasn't pretty :P

Last edited by Sicklyboy, Jan 15, 2021
    JuanMena likes this.
  11. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    emcintosh and JuanMena like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Controller, possible, Gamecube