Hacking Is it possible to hack classic controller support in games?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it....

Open up New Super Mario Bros Wii in Wiiscrubber. There are control files for gamecube and classic controller support, but they either weren't finished or weren't implemented in the final code. You can try to replace the default wiimote file with the classic controller one and using that iso as an alternate with classic controller support. Alternatively you could set up ocarina to run the swapped/modified files like brawl hacks.

That's pretty specific to NSMBW.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
Now that I think about it....

Open up New Super Mario Bros Wii in Wiiscrubber. There are control files for gamecube and classic controller support, but they either weren't finished or weren't implemented in the final code. You can try to replace the default wiimote file with the classic controller one and using that iso as an alternate with classic controller support. Alternatively you could set up ocarina to run the swapped/modified files like brawl hacks.

That's pretty specific to NSMBW.
If you're talking about the files in /Layout these are just message boxes which tell you to unplug the extension controller.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hacking GC controller support is relevant to my interests. Obviously there isn't really anything that can be done with any kind of motion controls... :/

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually became pretty interested in this topic after watching the results of the DKCR CC hack thread a while ago. I think it would be pretty cool to add CC controls to games that would benefit. I think its a shame that the CC Pro isn't supported as much as it could be, since it provides an excellent control alternative.

But instead of just dreaming, Im actually willing to learn and maybe try to implement basic control switches only for games that make the most sense and don't have the CC already supported natively. So that would definitely exclude coding certain Wii Games to a CC setup due to frequent IR pointer usage or gesture movements (though DKCR gesture controls were mapped to the CC and remapped for the Wiimote, so im guessing it might be possible) If IR and gesture mapping is possible, Im pretty sure it would make a good portion of Wii games ALOT better.

Im thinking games like:

NSMB Wii
Metal Slug Anthology
Wario: Shake It
Batman: Brave and the Bold
Kirby: Epic Yarn
MadWorld (??)
Rabbids Go Home (IR use? Gesture heavy?)
DK Jungle Beat (?)
ExciteBots (??)
LEGO Franchise games (IR usage?)
Klonoa
Spyborgs (IR usage??)

I have other games in mind, but since im not entirely sure if the IR pointer can be mapped to an analog stick I excluded them from the list.

Im just wondering if this maybe could be something that experienced coders could work on or is this something that will probably become rather difficult between games due to different coding methods???

Im willing to learn myself also, but I don't know the first place to begin learning about Wii code

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamesphere said:
I actually became pretty interested in this topic after watching the results of the DKCR CC hack thread a while ago. I think it would be pretty cool to add CC controls to games that would benefit. I think its a shame that the CC Pro isn't supported as much as it could be, since it provides an excellent control alternative.

But instead of just dreaming, Im actually willing to learn and maybe try to implement basic control switches only for games that make the most sense and don't have the CC already supported natively. So that would definitely exclude coding certain Wii Games to a CC setup due to frequent IR pointer usage or gesture movements (though DKCR gesture controls were mapped to the CC and remapped for the Wiimote, so im guessing it might be possible) If IR and gesture mapping is possible, Im pretty sure it would make a good portion of Wii games ALOT better.

Im thinking games like:

NSMB Wii
Metal Slug Anthology
Wario: Shake It
Batman: Brave and the Bold
Kirby: Epic Yarn
MadWorld (??)
Rabbids Go Home (IR use? Gesture heavy?)
DK Jungle Beat (?)
ExciteBots (??)
LEGO Franchise games (IR usage?)
Klonoa
Spyborgs (IR usage??)

I have other games in mind, but since im not entirely sure if the IR pointer can be mapped to an analog stick I excluded them from the list.

Im just wondering if this maybe could be something that experienced coders could work on or is this something that will probably become rather difficult between games due to different coding methods???

Im willing to learn myself also, but I don't know the first place to begin learning about Wii code
I'm willing to learn myself.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like to point out that there's a large amount of disabled gamers who essentially were screwed over with the direction the Wii took. My brother gets to play some of them thankfully through the use of emulators, because Nintendo doesn't include optional controls most of the time in their games.

This sort of stuff lets my brother play games on the actual console, which is more enjoyable and runs better generally. While emulators are nice, these sort of things are good tool.

If only Nintendo or another third-party would make controllers which emulate swinging and pointing and all this other stuff, since it's not generally how you swing, but how much force is detected. I only know of a few groups which price their contraptions at a horrible amount, into the $500 USD range. For a controller.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Celice said:
I'd also like to point out that there's a large amount of disabled gamers who essentially were screwed over with the direction the Wii took. My brother gets to play some of them thankfully through the use of emulators, because Nintendo doesn't include optional controls most of the time in their games.

This sort of stuff lets my brother play games on the actual console, which is more enjoyable and runs better generally. While emulators are nice, these sort of things are good tool.

If only Nintendo or another third-party would make controllers which emulate swinging and pointing and all this other stuff, since it's not generally how you swing, but how much force is detected. I only know of a few groups which price their contraptions at a horrible amount, into the $500 USD range. For a controller.

+5, REALLY good point.

D

Deleted User

crediar is doing one more hack for Xmas; -> http://rvlution.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=585
yep reviving a 7 year now going 8 year old dead thread. But I'm reviving this threat to discuss the matter of sonic riders zero gravity, and how badly it needs classic controller support. Especially on vwii. And sadly the links detailing and documenting how the wii works now result in dead links, or links that have been replaced.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep reviving a 7 year now going 8 year old dead thread. But I'm reviving this threat to discuss the matter of sonic riders zero gravity, and how badly it needs classic controller support. Especially on vwii. And sadly the links detailing and documenting how the wii works now result in dead links, or links that have been replaced.
necrobumpbatman.jpg

I'm sure there would be a way to implement it in that game, but I'm not sure if anyone would be up to the task...

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...