GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could always block the site from his laptop, nothing too extreme

It's Maplestory, he plays it through his laptop.

He has Wireless and his own internet too, he switches between them..

I'll try when I go over for Christmas. I don't want him failing HS and then having to work at a BK all his life.

He doesn't know how to multiply!
wtf.gif

~Nero

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Better than an MMORPG

Touche!

My 12 (nearly 13) year old brother is addicted to WoW too. He knows he is addicted too, but he sees no reason to quit.

I can disconnect his ineternet, but then he will go crazy, and i'll get in trouble with my parents etc.
I'm surprised my parents haven't done alot about it, even though they rational people.

Sure they restrict him to some degree, and force him to play tennis (ONE hour a week
sleep.gif
) but i think he should be banned.

Plus they use the excuse all the time that i provide a bad example, and so somehow half the time when he swears etc is my fault. I tell them this but they are stubborn and refuse to listen to my logic.

I spend a large amount of time on the computer but not overly excessive imo. His friend who virtually has no restrictions at all is a far worse role model who my parents always forget to blame.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of you: Install a firewall, and block the program. But not cold turkey, you have to give them something else to do

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ewww. Maplestory? Crappiest MMORPG I've ever had the misfortune to play (next to runescape that is). It's only fun if you cheat and annoy all the 12 year olds.
=D

Why screw up his internet connection? Overkill IMHO
You could just redirect 63.251.217.2 to 127.0.0.1 =D
Maplestory Server IP Address^

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ewww. Maplestory? Crappiest MMORPG I've ever had the misfortune to play (next to runescape that is). It's only fun if you cheat and annoy all the 12 year olds.
=D

Umm.. How do you do that?
shy.gif

Sorry, I'm not too savvy on this kind of stuff.
----------------------
To add to the severity of his problem...

I bought a DSL for his Birthday along with MPH, Mario Kart, and one other game. Over the summer, he learned about MMORPGs.

Then he started to play MS, which spiraled him into a hole of death.

He ripped his DS in half, right in front of me. Yelling: "Maple Story owns DS!"
He had new games like PoR, DoS, FF3 and etc.. I got pissed, since I spent a lot of money.

He's still my favorite cousin though, so I care a lot about him.

Guess what he does to his Homework? That's right, he rips it to shreds and starts playing MS.

~Nero

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
=D

shy.gif

----------------------

I bought a DSL for his Birthday along with MPH, Mario Kart, and one other game. Over the summer, he learned about MMORPGs.

He had new games like PoR, DoS, FF3 and etc.. I got pissed, since I spent a lot of money.

Guess what he does to his Homework? That's right, he rips it to shreds and starts playing MS.

~Nero

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
=D

shy.gif

----------------------

~Nero
I have no idea if your serious or not...
rofl2.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
=D

shy.gif

----------------------

~Nero
I have no idea if your serious or not...
rofl2.gif

I'm dead serious.

Sorry about the double post, my internet is crapping up.

~Nero

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stupid kid. He could've had MS on DS but nooooooooo, he had to destroy your gift right in front of you.

That deserves at least a punch. I mean, he's probably vegetative enough to not even fight back, but to take something you gave to him as a gift and to destroy it...he has no value of property, he's a stupid little sot, and you should've ripped his laptop in half, just for the eye-for-an-eye bit.

Do his parents know he destroyed it? What was their reaction?
What is their reaction to his performance in school? Likely degrading, and I'm sure they notice he spends most of his time online and on MS.

Good God, I know I played MS for a long while but it's nothing but a horrid grindfest. He's obviously messed up and needs to get away from it ASAP. >_>;

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stupid kid. He could've had MS on DS but nooooooooo, he had to destroy your gift right in front of you.

That deserves at least a punch. I mean, he's probably vegetative enough to not even fight back, but to take something you gave to him as a gift and to destroy it...he has no value of property, he's a stupid little sot, and you should've ripped his laptop in half, just for the eye-for-an-eye bit.Â

Do his parents know he destroyed it? What was their reaction?
What is their reaction to his performance in school? Likely degrading, and I'm sure they notice he spends most of his time online and on MS.

Good God, I know I played MS for a long while but it's nothing but a horrid grindfest. He's obviously messed up and needs to get away from it ASAP. >_>;

I told him about MS on the DS. He said "Why play it on the DS when I can play it with a big screen?"
Exactly, he's a little kid who gets 10 dollars through no more effort than; "Mom, can I have $10?"
Ripping his Laptop is more money than destroying the DS I gave him...
His parents knew he destroyed it, but they just said; "Well, you shouldn't have given him it then."
Parents caring about school? Naw.. He goes through life pretty slick and smooth. He got a laptop for "Passing" the 3rd grade.

Apparently, he's level 30-some... He's been playing for about a month or two now.. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

I really want him to stop playing that stupid ass game.. I'll wait patiently for iritegood to stumble into this thread again.

~Nero

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Find his MSN
2. Make keylogger
3. Disguise keylogger as MS hack.
4. Give maplestory "hack" to him
5. Send it over MSN
6. Find his account
7. ???
8. Profit!

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R1

1. Find his AIM
2. Make "funny maplestory video keylogger"
3. Send it over, preferably on a webhost
4. ???
5. Profit

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R2

1. Buy AK47
2. Burst into house with AK47
3. Shoot laptop with AK47
4. ???
5. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200$.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I told him about MS on the DS. He said "Why play it on the DS when I can play it with a big screen?"
Exactly, he's a little kid who gets 10 dollars through no more effort than; "Mom, can I have $10?"
Ripping his Laptop is more money than destroying the DS I gave him...
His parents knew he destroyed it, but they just said; "Well, you shouldn't have given him it then."
Parents caring about school? Naw.. He goes through life pretty slick and smooth. He got a laptop for "Passing" the 3rd grade.

Apparently, he's level 30-some... He's been playing for about a month or two now.. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

I really want him to stop playing that stupid ass game.. I'll wait patiently for iritegood to stumble into this thread again.

~Nero
I...I..

Oh my God. His parents are idiots too! Good lord, you sure you're related to these people by blood? Man, his only hope in life is if he manages to become CEO-to-be in his father's corporation.

But I think you can take solace in this much:
He's in all likelihood never going to have a girlfriend. He won't care, but that means when he finally grows tired of MS or whatever else he wants to play, he's going to be sorely underdeveloped in interpersonal relationships--meaning he's going to have few friends IRL and he's probably going to be permanently "plugged into the wall" in a way. It's sad, but...

I had a level 34 Cleric, and it took me for-fucking-ever to get that far. And I forced myself too! God damn. Can't kill those fucking subway ghosts because someone vacced them off the map, or someone else is there or they...yeah. It sucks.

Does he do ANYTHING at all besides MS? How in the hell is he going to pass his classes now? Seriously.

I understand he's your favorite cousin, but this is ridiculous! Jesus Christ. I'm pissed right now, thanks a lot. >P

Carry around the destroyed DS with you. When he asks why you're being so mean to him, pull it out and say nothing. *grumbles*

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I...I..

Oh my God. His parents are idiots too! Good lord, you sure you're related to these people by blood? Man, his only hope in life is if he manages to become CEO-to-be in his father's corporation.

If his mom is my dad's sister, I think so.

But I think you can take solace in this much:
He's in all likelihood never going to have a girlfriend. He won't care, but that means when he finally grows tired of MS or whatever else he wants to play, he's going to be sorely underdeveloped in interpersonal relationships--meaning he's going to have few friends IRL and he's probably going to be permanently "plugged into the wall" in a way. It's sad, but...

He had one girlfriend before he played MS.. Then she started hating him.

I had a level 34 Cleric, and it took me for-fucking-ever to get that far. And I forced myself too! God damn. Can't kill those fucking subway ghosts because someone vacced them off the map, or someone else is there or they...yeah. It sucks.Â

Well, he says he's level 30 something. (I think he said 38) and he's played for a month and a half (Or 2). What does that tell you about the time he spends on Maplestory?

Does he do ANYTHING at all besides MS? How in the hell is he going to pass his classes now? Seriously.Â

Does drinking soda and eating chips/chocolate bars count? ADD: He eats bananas and apples too. I ask him to play a damn game of Basketball, and he won't come out and play!

I understand he's your favorite cousin, but this is ridiculous! Jesus Christ. I'm pissed right now, thanks a lot. >PÂ

Carry around the destroyed DS with you. When he asks why you're being so mean to him, pull it out and say nothing. *grumbles*

Yeah.. Let me go to the garbage dump and try to find it.

~Nero

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He had one girlfriend before he played MS.. Then she started hating him.
~Nero

Gee, I wonder why.

Nero said:
Well, he says he's level 30 something. (I think he said 38) and he's played for a month and a half (Or 2). What does that tell you about the time he spends on Maplestory?

It took me well over a year of playing off and on to get to around that level. He's fucking insane, let's leave it at that. *shudders*

Nero said:
Does drinking soda and eating chips/chocolate bars count? ADD: He eats bananas and apples too. I ask him to play a damn game of Basketball, and he won't come out and play!

I hope you've seen the World of Warcraft South Park episode. He's going to end up like that. Seriously.

Nero
Yeah.. Let me go to the garbage dump and try to find it.

Ah, what a shame. I was hoping I could have the parts if you weren't going to torment him with them. =P All the same, though.

He is in dire need of help now since he's so young and he's essentially going to be addicted to these games for the majority of his life until he
A) Kills himself over a trade-gone-wrong
B) Just rots away playing for X days straight
C) Gets bored and finally realizes there is something outside worth living for.

It's absolutely pathetic. Someone so young shouldn't have such an overwhelming addiction, but here we are with a problem. At least MS is free to play. I can't imagine his parents really caring if he was costing an additional $15 per month though...

I hope his parents also realize they are doing him a great disservice by not doing anything. He's not even ten yet from the sounds of it, and he will probably drop out of school. He probably will never move out either, and when (if?) his parents try to get him out of there, it'd be way too late. Already, I can see him failing hardcore at life because he's pretty much denying himself those early life-lessons like being able to talk to others, or talking to others of the opposite gender, or finding something he's good at so he can market himself later in life to a company for employment.

I'm honestly amazed he even bothers going to school. You can get so many additional hours of grinding if you skipped! Argh. I'll hang myself if he somehow gets away with playing it AT school.

To be honest, I'm so passionate about this because this kid was me several years ago. Mind you, not the same game or whatever, but it's the same thing. I am a former video-game addict, and I spent the first 15 or so years of my life just staying inside and playing games. I was very rarely social, and that led to me being socially awkward even now in my final years of college. Oh yes, it sucks. I could've really benefited from being comfortable around others but I can't very well change that now, can I?

I remember hearing someone say that video games are more addicting than crack. I know exactly why--the world of video games are a world of familiarity and mysticism, both which are lacking in the real lives of many children, hence being drawn to them. Out of either fear or preference, they simply play more and more games, shunning the outside world and giving themselves to the machine as a whole. They enjoy the time spent yes, but there is no real profit to be had other than just passing the time. How many professional gamers do you know? I mean, those who actually get paid for what they do? I know of exactly zero.

I was fortunate, somewhat. I managed to pull back before it really got too strong, though it still did enough damage in the long run. And video games aren't always the enemy. They can in fact still be good things--even socially. Why, I just spent the past couple of hours playing SSBM with my friends and we had a blast. That is one of the reasons why I still play to this day, though it's hard to completely shake the yoke of the addiction.

Sorry to ramble, but there's still time to save him. Something must be done before it's too late, or he'll be pretty much as you said, nothing more than a slopworker at Burger King with a miserable life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-