Homebrew Discussion Is an Amiga emulator possible?

Connorsdad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know from reading about Amiga emulation on other systems that it is quite hard to emulate, having said that would it be possible to code/port one to the switch ?

What a great system to have an Amiga emulator for, imagine workbench with a touch screen interface just for s&g :)

FYI the Amiga is my all time favourite system, unfortunately my coding skills are 0 so it's up to you clever guys that continue to bring us great emulators and apps.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I expect we will see one in the near future.
The Vita has uaemod2 which gives about 99.9% compatibility and full speed so I can’t see a problem with the Switch handling it.
pUAE retroarch core hasn’t really taken off as yet though.

Reactions: CymraegAce

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I believe the excellent UAE4ALL on Vita is actually ported from Pandora. Seems like a good candidate. It emulates both A500 and A1200.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the excellent UAE4ALL on Vita is actually ported from Pandora. Seems like a good candidate. It emulates both A500 and A1200.
uae4all was excellent for older/weaker arm devices like the pandora, but uae4arm which I mentioned above is modernised for beefier systems like the Switch, has a better cpu emulator and has more of UAE's nifty features like virtual hard drives and shit.

I am guessing there isnt much of a market for Amstrad CPC emulation?
I'd love one. Retroarch has two cores to choose from (Caprice32 and CrocoDS, I believe Caprice32 would be the preferred one for most circumstances), which should be straightforward enough for one of the nice folk working on Retroarch for Switch (RetroNX) to port when they have the chance. I haven't requested it yet but was probably going to once they hit their 1.0 release.

Reactions: BORTZ

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is number one on my want list. The Vita port is great but still no sound effects on IK+. If I could get a Switch port with working sound for IK+ I would be willing to make a large donation too.

Reactions: peteruk

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@cpasjuste

If this happens, never mind buy you a beer, I may personally come and take you to the pub

Beer? Beer? Hell, if he ports this, I’ll have his baby :P

Seriously though, I love my Amiga, still use it to this day. But I like a good emu for when I’m away from home.

I’ve got the Vita version and it’s great, but I’d like to get all of my emulators under the Switch roof so I only need to take one system with me.

So I’m crossing my fingers that the time can be found to port this across.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
While I’m not sure my wife would be very happy about giving anybody else babies, I certainly would be over the moon!

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I’m not sure my wife would be very happy about giving anybody else babies, I certainly would be over the moon!

Well, me and the wife are trying for a baby just now, so whats one more :P (Well, the wife insists we should have a baby, I just enjoy the practice :rofl2:)

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing there isnt much of a market for Amstrad CPC emulation?

I wish...

Or GX4000

call &bb18

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I knew someone who said he knew someone who used to own one of those!

Fantastic machines. Esp the plus/ GX4000 - 4096 colours, DMA sampled sound, hardware sprites

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish...

Or GX4000

call &bb18

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fantastic machines. Esp the plus/ GX4000 - 4096 colours, DMA sampled sound, hardware sprites

The GX4000 was a missed opportunity and a severe misjudgment of the market for Amstrad.

It was underpowered, lacked software support and marketing.

The only thing it really had going for it at the time was it’s price.

Severely underpowered compared to the 16 bit machines it was up against, it never stood a chance. Though it was technically impressive against the 8 bit systems (bar the PC Engine of course).

Didn’t stop me having one though :D I had a 464 in my younger days and as I owned a couple of games shops at the time the GX launched, I decided to get one. It was cost price anyway :D

As for emulation, as it was just a CPC Plus in a different case, and iirc didn’t have any exclusive games the Plus didn’t have a decent emulator would give us the them anyway.

Last edited by Stwert,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Releasing a console based on dated CPC hardware in 1990 for only 30 quid cheaper than a Mega Drive was silly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...