Is Adblock bad?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by JonahRinberg, May 17, 2017.

1. JonahRinberg
    OP

JonahRinberg GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The Homebrew Ocean
    I am bored, and this probably has been discussed already, but who the hell cares.

Ad blocking is terrible for businesses and other people who need money. Is it really worth it to skip a ad of something that could help you in life or support a Youtuber just for a couple extra seconds?

I think we should just suck it up and watch a 5 seconds ad or deal with our precious websites filled with ads. It helps money go around easier really..

But I am a hypocrite and I am using ad block right now so should I quit it?

This is so pointless in my favor, I could just look this up but I am just wondering what others think.
    (Also, I am too lazy to type in the search bar.)

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It depends.
    Some websites are plastered with ads which make viewing of said site almost impossible.

I don't mind banners but I do mind pop ups and obstructing ads.

3. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I can't even navigate GBATemp anymore without being assaulted by adverts. The worst ones are the video ads, redirects, and full-page ads which actually have a countdown on the close button. These ads need to fucking stop.

4. JonahRinberg
    OP

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The Homebrew Ocean
    That is true. But I don't see it on GBATemp much when I turn off my Adblock :/

5. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    The websites that block you from entering because you are using AdBlock are the ones I hate the most. It forces you to click AdBlock > Don't Run On This Page :angry:

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    I always have it on, i don't want to be bothered with ads trying to make me buy stuff i don't want, its just like what i've always wanted for TV, to just skip the commercials

Last edited by CitizenSnips, May 17, 2017
    RustInPeace likes this.
  7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    No it's not bad, it's weird that there's now a shaming trend about that. What about DVRs? When I had satellite TV I used a DVR to record wrestling shows and cable broadcasts of movies, thus being able to skip the commercials on playback. In a way that's like adblock on the TV side. The use of ads on the internet are so annoying that I need adblock, and now sites blocking access completely to content unless you turn off the adblocker is blasphemous.

So if I'm bad for running something that stops the irritation in browsing most websites, so be it.

8. JonahRinberg
    OP

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The Homebrew Ocean
    Well think about it, some websites only get money from ad revenue. They are smart enough to know they are LOSING money with Adblock...

9. JFlare

JFlare anti skiddo

Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    I hate ads. they annoy me, and they make it hard to visit some websites... I had this one ad pop up... and It placed malware on my computer. You need ad block for that :v

azoreseuropa likes this.
  10. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Adblocking is a blessing really. You can't not use it anymore when you reach websites with fullscreen popups and ads that take 3/4 of a web page.
    The worst I have met are those opening a totally different site after you click on a link, and have to attempt 3 times until it opens the right one.

Quantumcat, gnmmarechal and Riyaz like this.
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Online ads are generally pretty obnoxious and annoying and I think it's more than fair that the user should have the option of not viewing them.
    It doesn't help that most of the time they're completely irrelevant.

12. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I've made the mistake of turning my Ad-Blocker off. Multiple tabs, half that try to stop me from closing them all claiming that my system is infected and I have to buy their sketchy anti-virus. Some ads are just a big download button that tries to fool you into clicking them. Honestly, the whole ad scene is deceptive as hell. I had to get a script blocker as well since sometimes clicking a link or going into a textbox causes a popup. The advertisers were asked to stop this sort of activity a long time ago and they laugh and said, just try to stop us. So we did. Now they're crying because they got a black eye for once and the law has no intention of shutting ad-blockers down this time around.

So no, I don't feel bad using an ad-blocker (and now a no-script) since the advertisers lost the right to complain when they overstepped their boundaries. When a site tells me to turn off Ad-block I respect them by not coming back. I only wish Google would let me mark them so they would stop showing up during a search.

13. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    No. Adblock has become essential to browsing the Internet. But I think the thing is, if you find a site you like, and as long as the ads they have are unobtrusive, you have the choice of disabling Adblock to support the site.

14. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I turn it off when watching YouTubers I want to support, but other than that, it mostly stays on.

15. Foxchild

Foxchild Goomba Overlord

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    I disabled my adblock on gbatemp a while back (y'know, to help the cause) and the only difference for me is a little, non-intrusive ad banner, no big deal. Otherwise, I typically use an ad blocker, but mainly because of the really annoying stuff like pop ups that you know will give you malware if you accidentally click the wrong spot or going to watch a 60 second trailer on youtube and it chooses to give you a four minute ad first. Honestly, if ad companies kept it reasonable - limit non skipable ads to 15-30 seconds and eliminated any malware/spyware - I wouldn't mind disabling it to help out a bit. But as is so often the case, the few bad apples ruin it for everyone else.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  16. JFlare

JFlare anti skiddo

Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    You just have to have adblock. Thats all i'm going to say. I hate ads.

Gon Freecss likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    My screen, my rules.

There will always be people making more content than I can see in the time available (I even watch things at 1.5 speed a lot now just to get it all in). If someone can't make a living at it then peh really. Find a better way of making money, or hope we make it to a post scarcity society.

RustInPeace likes this.
  18. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I'm willing to pay extra for the websites I visit if it means turning off ads. Unfortunately many of them don't have this option, but I still try my best to keep it disabled for websites I go to. My only rule: as soon as MB finds something, I turn it back on. I did this with GBATemp and it lasted for a few months before getting a nasty js script from nds-card, now it's back on. Sorry @Costello.

Basically, I keep adblock always on by default. If I come back to the website, I disable it. If I use it a lot, I either pay to disable it or put it back on if MB gets anything. I feel like I'm doing the right thing.

19. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    With every other company wanting to lace their adverts with viruses/trackers and the like, I ain't taking a risk for anyone, without a care if they're losing money or not, especially when most companies and/or websites don't screen their adverts for malware.

Another site I use, MMO-Champion, has this major issue. Adverts everywhere, lots of people complaining about malware coming from them, and the admins are just like MEH! So fuck it, i'll happily take the money from their pockets to protect myself if they won't protect me themselves.

EDIT: One solution I always thought of was just having a single page with adverts on it, no content, just adverts. Whoever wanted to let the site earn some cash from them, could just open the link and use a refresher addon every 60 seconds or so. Problem solved, but no one would ever do that, because simple convenience must come at a cost apparently.

Last edited by StarGazerTom, May 17, 2017
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  20. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    I'll be round later to steal your stuff. If you can't figure out how to make enough to buy new stuff then peh really.