Hardware Is a secondary Switch with a primary Switch Lite worth it?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I couldn't find any search results where someone would want a Switch Lite as primary and a regular Switch as secondary, so I thought I'll ask.

I really love my Switch Lite, and I'd always prefer it over a regular Switch if it didn't have that one complaint: it can't output video to an external screen.
It works really well when I'm not home, because I find it much better in every aspect over a regular Switch. But when I'm at home, dead tired, sometimes I can't even lift the Switch Lite, so I have to "dock" it.
The problem with Switch Lite "dock"ing is that there is a limit on how close you can sit to the "dock", so I can't play games at home comfortably while also being able to see the screen.

I have seen a youtube video where someone has demonstrated that you can move saves between two consoles, so I thought that I could get a regular Switch, keep it always docked, and just move the save data between two consoles each time I'm about to leave for work or come back from it. Keep the Switch Lite the primary console, and keep the regular Switch always docked and connected to the internet, perfect setup for a secondary Switch. And while at it, in some games the docked Switch has a performance- and graphical advantage, making the experience better than in handheld mode.

However this feels like a somewhat of a nuclear option for a small amount of convenience. Are there perhaps any obvious or non-obvious solutions which I haven't thought of? Preferably solutions which don't require me to order things from the internet. Or is save transferring more tedious than what it looked like in the video?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two switches (not a switch lite though). you can use saves between both systems. I suggest you copy saves and user data to the lite, then download saves from cloud to the normal switch. I believe that's how it's supposed to work. it's kinda a pita if you forget, but I've never had a problem with old data accidentally saving over new.

Reactions: KiiWii

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have two switches (not a switch lite though). you can use saves between both systems. I suggest you copy saves and user data to the lite, then download saves from cloud to the normal switch. I believe that's how it's supposed to work. it's kinda a pita if you forget, but I've never had a problem with old data accidentally saving over new.

Funnily enough none of the games I plan to play at home support cloud saves, so that wouldn't be a problem :rofl2:

But it's good to be confirmed more that it's possible to just transfer save data between two systems. How tiresome is it? In the video I have seen it looked almost painless to just move the save data back and forth.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough none of the games I plan to play at home support cloud saves, so that wouldn't be a problem :rofl2:

But it's good to be confirmed more that it's possible to just transfer save data between two systems. How tiresome is it? In the video I have seen it looked almost painless to just move the save data back and forth.

it's painless the official way (haven't exploited my switch yet). the system you send the save and user data to will automatically be changed to the primary switch as well.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
it's painless the official way (haven't exploited my switch yet). the system you send the save and user data to will automatically be changed to the primary switch as well.

Ouch, that's unfortunate. I may have misunderstood the video, because what I understood is that you can MOVE save data between Switches, and only that specific save data, without making that switch primary. I hope it doesn't come with too many negative side effects, like taking hours to do effectively what is considered a system transfer in 3DS speak, or having to unlink eShop and other inconvenient actions.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not really worth it; the Switch, and especially the Lite since it's physically smaller, has such a pathetic resolution compared to docked mode that playing games on the go just isn't worth it - along with lower audio quality and the trash JoyCons.
The Switch should just be a home console, in my opinion. Better visuals and audio, and you can use a Magic-NS to use a Wii U Pro Controller instead of the horribly-designed native controllers.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, that's unfortunate. I may have misunderstood the video, because what I understood is that you can MOVE save data between Switches, and only that specific save data, without making that switch primary. I hope it doesn't come with too many negative side effects, like taking hours to do effectively what is considered a system transfer in 3DS speak, or having to unlink eShop and other inconvenient actions.

I'm still learning. which video are you referring to? afaik, there's no way to transfer save data through an intermediary like a usb stick. it would be great if you could. a system transfer won't take hours. it should take a minute or two depending on how many saves you have. software has to be redownloaded I believe, so it's quick. you can only download or queue so many titles before it doesn't let you queue anymore. I can't remember what that number is, but I reached it, because I have 104 games on my system. redownloading sucks.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Not really worth it; the Switch, and especially the Lite since it's physically smaller, has such a pathetic resolution compared to docked mode that playing games on the go just isn't worth it - along with lower audio quality and the trash JoyCons.
The Switch should just be a home console, in my opinion. Better visuals and audio, and you can use a Magic-NS to use a Wii U Pro Controller instead of the horribly-designed native controllers.

I'm confused, because you said it's not worth it, when you listed docked mode as a plus :wacko: I already have a Switch Lite, it's my main Switch.
I'd purely only get a regular Switch for docked mode. I'd only get graphical improvements, not resolution improvements, because my best monitor is 1280x1024 :rofl2:
I'm already using my Switch Lite with Pro Controller and wired headphones, so I preserve the built-in controls as much as possible and get the best audio quality it can output.

I'm still learning. which video are you referring to? afaik, there's no way to transfer save data through an intermediary like a usb stick. it would be great if you could. a system transfer won't take hours. it should take a minute or two depending on how many saves you have. software has to be redownloaded I believe, so it's quick. you can only download or queue so many titles before it doesn't let you queue anymore. I can't remember what that number is, but I reached it, because I have 104 games on my system. redownloading sucks.

I don't remember which video, but afaik it was a WULFDEN video.
I know that it's not possible to move save data to external media, I would be fine with wireless save transfer (which is what I remember from the video). I'm fine with MOVING the save data between consoles as long as it's painless and quick.
Does a move force update software or require a redownload every time a move is requested? That would be indeed very annoying if the software were to be deleted on move instead of just being flagged inaccessible.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm confused, because you said it's not worth it, when you listed docked mode as a plus :wacko: I already have a Switch Lite, it's my main Switch.
I'd purely only get a regular Switch for docked mode. I'd only get graphical improvements, not resolution improvements, because my best monitor is 1280x1024 :rofl2:
I'm already using my Switch Lite with Pro Controller and wired headphones, so I preserve the built-in controls as much as possible and get the best audio quality it can output.
I'm saying a Switch Lite, especially as a primary console, isn't worth it in my eyes, due to the reasons I listed. I personally hate just how limited the Switch is in portable mode; I'd prefer a New 3DS XL over that any day.
Getting a 'normal' Switch is a great idea, since that one can be properly docked and display on a much larger screen with proper speakers.

I apologise if my initial post was worded weirdly; I'm not exactly the best at putting my thoughts onto paper - or, in this case, onto a screen.

Last edited by RichardTheKing,
Reactions: Sono

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc from NIntendo's website, the difference between a primary switch and a secondary one is that a secondary switch must have access to the internet to play digital content. you can download software (the same software) to both systems, but there is that caveat. if you're asking about updating system software, I think both must be on the latest firmware, and you can only do a system transfer once a week or something like that.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm saying a Switch Lite, especially as a primary console, isn't worth it in my eyes, due to the reasons I listed. I personally hate just how limited the Switch is in portable mode; I'd prefer a New 3DS XL over that any day.
Getting a 'normal' Switch is a great idea, since that one can be properly docked and display on a much larger screen with proper speakers.

I apologise if my initial post was worded weirdly; I'm not exactly the best at putting my thoughts onto paper - or, in this case, onto a screen.

The only reason I chose the Lite over the regular Switch are the buttons. I hate the GBA SP buttons on the Joy-Cons, because they are too difficult to press, and the joints hurt in my finger after a few minutes of button pressing. The Lite has 2DS-like mushy buttons which I prefer over anything else.
Speaking of new3DSXL, I wonder why they chose GBA SP buttons for the Joy-Cons. The ones on the new3DSXL are much, MUCH easier to press, but are very loud.

Also don't worry, it happens even to the best of us :) At least you didn't get angry at me for misunderstanding like some others do...

iirc from NIntendo's website, the difference between a primary switch and a secondary one is that a secondary switch must have access to the internet to play digital content. you can download software (the same software) to both systems, but there is that caveat. if you're asking about updating system software, I think both must be on the latest firmware, and you can only do a system transfer once a week or something like that.

Once per week?! I planned to transfer twice a day, not once a week :( If it's not possible to transfer game save data twice a day then that means that my idea is not possible, and thus a secondary Switch is not worth it :glare:

Edit: Ninty doesn't seem to mention the per-week limitation. I only want to transfer save data only between the two consoles, not anything else. I plan to redownload some games from the eShop, transfer save data, chill and play, then before going to bed transfer the save data back to the Lite and go to sleep. The downloaded game stays on the docked Switch, but unusable until I transfer my save back to it for playing purposes.

Edit2: I misunderstood, oops. Yeah, I know that the secondary switch has internet DRM, and I'm fine with that because it'll be perma-docked in my room. System updates are fine, as I have missed out on a non-red box Swtch, so if it's unhackable then I might as well update, there is more incentive to do so compared to the 3DS where it was just a chore.

Last edited by Sono,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
720p is just fine for a screen that size and games look great on it. Not sure what you're on about.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
720p is just fine for a screen that size and games look great on it. Not sure what you're on about.
I've tried it with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Spyro, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses; they looked terrible on the actual Switch screen. I don't own a Lite, but I can't imagine they look any better there either.
Plus, I'm pretty sure games run at 540p or thereabouts when undocked, not 720p.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've tried it with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Spyro, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses; they looked terrible on the actual Switch screen. I don't own a Lite, but I can't imagine they look any better there either.
Plus, I'm pretty sure games run at 540p or thereabouts when undocked, not 720p.
Xenoblade is one of those games that runs at a very low dynamic resolution in handheld mode I think. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on that. But BotW and Mario Odyssey look great.
Yes, some games (especially cross platform ports) run at a lower resolution through dynamic resolution scaling, in order to maintain decent performance. Most first party games run at the full resolution though.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that cloud save and save transfer are two totally different methods to do what you want. Wulff Den covers both of them. Cloud save requires NSO subscription, and lets you save or restore saves with any internet connection, no need to even have both consoles nearby. The pain there is that you have to manually download a save per game when you want to move it to another console. Probably still less trouble than the save transfer though.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Keep in mind that cloud save and save transfer are two totally different methods to do what you want. Cloud save requires NSO subscription, and lets you save or restore saves with any internet connection, no need to even have both consoles nearby. The pain there is that you have to manually download a save per game when you want to move it to another console. Probably still less trouble than the save transfer though.
...And not every game supports cloud saves, making paying for an Online subscription even more nonsensical; the 3DS supported local save backups, so I dunno why the Switch doesn't. Not to mention the PS3 and PS4, which also had local save backups.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played a game online with the switch, but I am a member of nso just for cloud saving. I wish nintendo would get with the program here and allow us to backup the saves to a flash drive or something when docked.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Keep in mind that cloud save and save transfer are two totally different methods to do what you want. Wulff Den covers both of them. Cloud save requires NSO subscription, and lets you save or restore saves with any internet connection, no need to even have both consoles nearby. The pain there is that you have to manually download a save per game when you want to move it to another console. Probably still less trouble than the save transfer though.

I know; I want save transfer, not cloud saves. I only keep cloud saves in case something were to happen to my Switch I wouldn't have to start over for those games.

I haven't played a game online with the switch, but I am a member of nso just for cloud saving. I wish nintendo would get with the program here and allow us to backup the saves to a flash drive or something when docked.

Yeah, it's unfortunate how the Switch is the same as a current gen MacBook; so if it breaks then you can kiss your ACNH save goodbye :sad:

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @BigOnYa are you on OnlyFans?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He gets his ramming funds from onlyfans
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea but my total income is negative, lol
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Juan who?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its just seductive pics right? I mean they don't show nudity, do they?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, you know who is juan
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    isn't onlyfans just another creepy site of fake AI generated ''women''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there