Hardware Is 3DS really that shiny ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

On the first picture the 3DS looks nice, but it is just a rendering, not a photo of an actual product.
In various videos and photos shot at Nintendo events the 3DS seems to look awfully shiny, almost like wrapped in a plastic, giving it a cheap feeling.

Has anyone here seen the 3DS in real life ? Is its shiny surface really that bad, or it's just my impression ?

12266.jpg

z8029982X,Nintendo-3DS.jpg

256px-blue_nintendo_3ds_at_e3_2010_open.jpg

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm sure it's just you, to me, the 3DS looks great with that shiny effect (and it doesn't look like a cheap plastic)....I never saw a 3DS in person but going by the trailers and the E3 vids it looks great.
P.S. Glossy finish?? Maybe??

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Darkmystery said:
Pictures with awful flash make it look cheap. But on sight, it looks very good and definitely not cheap.
Right on target
wink.gif
Get someone to snap a picture of 3DS with a 12MP camera and flash turned off.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
3DS does have a Glossy finish and its definitely better than having a Matte finished DSi, Gloss does attract fingerprints quite swiftly but in turn are easier to wipe off than fingerprints on Matte surfaces (DSi)

On closer inspection through Google images, only the outer layer looks like Gloss, inner looks more of a Matte finish (or maybe both mixed)

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quick wipe on your shirt, not a problem. All gone.
Unless you have grease like chip fat, in which case don't play 3DS and eat chips simultaneously.
And if you had a matte 3DS (like Phat) after a while the paint comes off from normal use or the surface gets shiny in places that you hold it most (keyboard keys).

The parts where the buttons are embedded in look like PSP 3000 quality material and the middle section and top panel look like one big sheet of plastic coating or plastic/glass hybrid IMO

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny.

On-topic: The plastic looks fine to me, but I'm curious as to why the screen is surrounded by glossy black, not matte black.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
At least this is better than the black DSi.
For some reason, only the BLACK DSi is EXTREMELY vulnerable. Even if I just out like a coin on it for 2 days, and I remove it, I see a coint print in white.. It's like WTF?
My friend had the blue DSi and it had a slippery feeling, unlike my cheap matte DSi.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It looks more like being laminated than like "cheap plastic". And that is good, laminated stuff feel good.
Even though they do get a shitload of fingerprints.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
I'm curious as to why the screen is surrounded by glossy black, not matte black.

I think because it blends better with the screen - that way you won't notice the black lines in the left and right sides of the top screen while playing DS games.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My white PSP Go seems to have the exact same finish as the 3DS.

It's REALLY sparkly, but it feels really solid. The black and blue 3DS shouldn't be nearly as... bright.

G

geenlung

Does anyone know if the 3DS is a fingerprint/scratch magnet? I got a PSP3k the other week and it already had a few scratches on it straight out of the box
glare.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hope im not going to die from it before i see the ent in a month