Is 3DS really that shiny ?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by pachura, Jan 24, 2011.

Jan 24, 2011

Is 3DS really that shiny ? by pachura at 12:30 PM (1,510 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi,

On the first picture the 3DS looks nice, but it is just a rendering, not a photo of an actual product.
    In various videos and photos shot at Nintendo events the 3DS seems to look awfully shiny, almost like wrapped in a plastic, giving it a cheap feeling.

Has anyone here seen the 3DS in real life ? Is its shiny surface really that bad, or it's just my impression ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I'm sure it's just you, to me, the 3DS looks great with that shiny effect (and it doesn't look like a cheap plastic)....I never saw a 3DS in person but going by the trailers and the E3 vids it looks great.
    P.S. Glossy finish?? Maybe??

3. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    Pictures with awful flash make it look cheap. But on sight, it looks very good and definitely not cheap.

4. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Right on target [​IMG] Get someone to snap a picture of 3DS with a 12MP camera and flash turned off.

5. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    I hope that shiney glossy finish isn't a fingerprint magnet.

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I think it's because of the over 9000 reflectors there, they'd make anything look shiny.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    3DS does have a Glossy finish and its definitely better than having a Matte finished DSi, Gloss does attract fingerprints quite swiftly but in turn are easier to wipe off than fingerprints on Matte surfaces (DSi)

On closer inspection through Google images, only the outer layer looks like Gloss, inner looks more of a Matte finish (or maybe both mixed)

8. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Quick wipe on your shirt, not a problem. All gone.
    Unless you have grease like chip fat, in which case don't play 3DS and eat chips simultaneously.
    And if you had a matte 3DS (like Phat) after a while the paint comes off from normal use or the surface gets shiny in places that you hold it most (keyboard keys).

The parts where the buttons are embedded in look like PSP 3000 quality material and the middle section and top panel look like one big sheet of plastic coating or plastic/glass hybrid IMO

9. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    The psp always had that glossy texture, all of it! Well i think only the phat was matte.

Anyway, wtf? Cheap?

10. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny.

On-topic: The plastic looks fine to me, but I'm curious as to why the screen is surrounded by glossy black, not matte black.

11. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    At least this is better than the black DSi.
    For some reason, only the BLACK DSi is EXTREMELY vulnerable. Even if I just out like a coin on it for 2 days, and I remove it, I see a coint print in white.. It's like WTF?
    My friend had the blue DSi and it had a slippery feeling, unlike my cheap matte DSi.

12. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It looks more like being laminated than like "cheap plastic". And that is good, laminated stuff feel good.
    Even though they do get a shitload of fingerprints.

13. Varia

Member Varia GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I think because it blends better with the screen - that way you won't notice the black lines in the left and right sides of the top screen while playing DS games.

14. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    My white PSP Go seems to have the exact same finish as the 3DS.

It's REALLY sparkly, but it feels really solid. The black and blue 3DS shouldn't be nearly as... bright.

15. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

Does anyone know if the 3DS is a fingerprint/scratch magnet? I got a PSP3k the other week and it already had a few scratches on it straight out of the box [​IMG]