iphone vs ipod touch

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah...Well, depends. The touch has everything the phone does...except the phone itself. So if your GF uses the phone a lot, I would suggest the phone. Otherwise the touch would do. *also, if it is just for music, just get the nano with more memory space. I realized that I got tired of the touch screen after about 1 month and regret not getting more than 8GB of space -.-*

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The touch doesn't have a mic. So applications like the Smule's Ocarina would not work on it. Get the phone.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The phone if you price doesn't bother you, and iphone is not restricted to only wifi for data, you can use 3G. And the phone has a camera if your GF like that kind of stuff.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pizzaroo said:
The phone if you price doesn't bother you, and iphone is not restricted to only wifi for data, you can use 3G. And the phone has a camera if your GF like that kind of stuff.

Do you need to pay for 3g service?

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3rd gen does have built in speakers and no duh it doesn't have a mic -.-
People would try to create a homebrew program to devaluate the iphone.(forgot about the cam but it's nothing special) if you really wanted pictures, you would get something like a canon sd1100.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With the iphone you are pretty much required to get a data plan, which costs upwards of 50 dollars a month. You will also be more hesitant to use the iphone as a music player, as it will drain the battery quicker and having a dead cell phone sucks.

EDIT: reread the OP. Go for the ipod touch if you are getting it as a gift

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3ed Gen 3G iPhone :

Pros:
Has phone
Has camera
Only $199USD

Cons:
minimum monthly payment of $59.99 to AT&T (or other cell company if you unlock it)
if it crashes, you lose your phone ability

2nd Gen iPod Touch (which I have)
Pros:
Has built in speaker
No phone, so no monthly bill after $229USD

Cons:
Again, no phone, so you have to have 2 devices
Only have internet/google maps when you have WiFi signal

----------

With the new 2.2 firmware for both devices, you can even download PodCasts over the air (WiFi or 3G).

It all depends on how your going to go about if you want one. Do you have a cell phone? Do you need another? Will you have to pay a "deposit" with AT&T when you get your iPhone. Do you have the $60+ a month for the phone? do you have decent WiFi coverage in your city/area?

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
Pizzaroo said:

Do you need to pay for 3g service?

Unlimited data comes with the plan, you need to pay for the service to have 3g

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone 3G. Here's what the 2nd gen iPod Touch lacks:

*Cellular radio (duh)
*Camera
*GPS
*Microphone (although you can add this to the new Touch by buying an iPhone headset)
*Good speaker (the Touch has a very weak internal speaker, an doesn't even have an opening for it so the sound sounds weak)
*Free OS upgrades (every so often Apple releases OS updates, they do not charge for the iPhone but they do charge Touch users)
*Not jailbreakable at the moment

If you can afford it, get the iPhone. It's infinitely more useful. Just the ability to web browse anywhere is so worth it.

Also, you cannot not pay for 3G if you have an iPhone 3G. At least in the US with AT&T an iPhone 3G data plan costs $30/month, and that's on top of your voice plan.

An iPhone EDGE (2G) data plan costs $20/month (and comes with some amount of SMS, I'm not sure how many), so if you get one of those, that's a little cheaper.

cepheus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, if I do get the iphone, I will buy it rather than get it on a plan. she already has an htc touch so I don't really care for the phone function (and she can't get away from windows mobile anyways).

I think the biggest concern is that apple charges for an OS update on the touch.

thanks a lot for the help! I think I will get the touch =D

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
I have the touch and it is great.. I guess you will get v2, with the volume buttons and in-built speaker.. I missed out by 2 weeks..
frown.gif

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ipod touch pros:
its really really thin

ipod touch cons:
ipod touch does not have google street view like the iphone
some apps on the appstore are iphone only and take time to get to the touch

i havent mentioned things that have already been mentioned by others

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dark42 said:
*Good speaker (the Touch has a very weak internal speaker, an doesn't even have an opening for it so the sound sounds weak)
*Free OS upgrades (every so often Apple releases OS updates, they do not charge for the iPhone but they do charge Touch users)

Ok, both of these statements are completely wrong.

the Touch speaker is the exact same speaker that the iPhone has for "speaker phone"... the opening is actually at the bottom of the iPod, where the connector port is.

The OS upgrades for the iPod are free... I just upgraded from 2.1.1, to 2.2... I wasn't charged a penny...

I really don't know where you get your information pal, but you better check again.

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Google Maps street view is in the iPod Touch firmware 2.2, it's just a hidden unlockable! haha...

There is a way to hack the 1G (first gen) iPod Touch to get Street View. The 2G (second gen) is still not jailbroke, so you can't do it there yet.

And if your wondering, what's the difference between the 1G and 2G Touch, 2G has the internal speaker, whereas the 1G doesn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu