OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Please don't say "Can't text message", cuz I can successfully do that on my friend's iPhone. Also, please don't ask me questions about why I would ask. I'm asking because in a couple of weeks, I plan to pick one up witht he Family Plan, for me and my mom.

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The iPhone is locked to the AT&T carrier, which aside from being limiting is immoral since AT&T has fought against net neutrality.

Basically they want to charge you different rates for your internet access based on how fast it is (like they currently do) and then again charge everyone who hosts websites for the speed at which their website can operate.

The way it would work is that even if you have a high-speed internet connection, when you go to GBAtemp, or any other relatively small site, it will effectively be dial up speed to you because GBAtemp never payed the premium fee to AT&T. Worse it would effectively destroy small businesses and political speech online because nobody would bother going to the slow websites when they could go to the fast mega-websites instead. Despicable!

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
It's small actually ^ go to any Apple store and you can see what its like. And 400$ isn't that expensive considering so many more phones are more than 600$

TheWintergreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From an owner:

-Most headphones not designed for iPhone do not work without an adapter.
-No integrated IM, and so if you're without reach of a wireless network, loading the page on safari takes forever.
-Impossible (I would assume for all but the most hardcore) to text/type without looking at the screen
-Camera isn't too great
-No video recording
-Buggy, buggy OS, still exits out of apps consistently.
-No open source software without a hack
-Voice quality isn't the greatest
-Tilt sensor isn't too great, sometimes annoying as you try to retain an angle
-Terrible, just terrible standard ringtones with the exception of a few decent ones
-PDA-like functions are not up to par. No office, mediocre note system, no copy and paste capability.
-Fairly small memory
-Very little in ways of customization right now
-No games at the moment

Some that can be rectified in future updates, and hopefully will.

That said, I really do enjoy my iPhone, and if you want a cellphone, and have some money, then it is definitely the way to go right now.

Also, be sure to update to the latest firmware, it is much more enjoyable, useful, and accessible then the stock firmware.

Edit: @seja_8
Believe me, it is not big. It is honestly the most comfortable portable device I have ever held. It fits around the contours of your hand amazing.

jinqui242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to get one, but the price is too much for what you get right now, and I don't like AT&T. I'll wait a couple of years. The revisions are always better.

Right now I'm using the orange LG ENV with Verizon. Works great.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
found this:

1. At $599, it is ridiculously expensive. (Add in the cost of an AT&T contract and you get close to $1500)

2. Those who want to buy one must sell their soul to evil mega-corporation AT&T.

3. Japan already has technologically superior phones, and they’re far cheaper.

4. Slower internet than the commercials show: “The data experience is going to be very slow. If you’re on a cellular network, [using the Internet] is going to be very slow.”

5. Initial reports indicate that YouTube is slow and crappy using cellular network internet/EDGE. It’s nothing like in the commercials.

6. You cannot remove its battery. Thanks for replicating one of the biggest complaints about the ipod, Apple!

7. The glass touch screen of the iPhone guarantees that thousands of customers who drop their phones will have cracked screens.

8. The touchscreen keyboard sucks, according to those who have used the phone.

9. It can’t send MMS picture messages.

10. The camera has little or no options, and the pictures it takes aren’t very good.

11. It lacks proper support for Flash websites. So much for the internet.

12. It can’t record video.

13. “Pinching” pictures to zoom might look neat in commercials, but many reviewers are saying it actually sucks.

14. It lacks 3G high-speed data transfer.

15. No songs as ringtones.

16. No GPS.

17. It doesn’t work under 64-bit Windows XP / Windows Vista!!!!!!! Thanks for not including that in your Windows System Requirements, Apple!

18. It only allows for a maximum of 1 picture to be attached to each e-mail you send.

19. It doesn’t have a file browser/organizer.

20. Its default ringtones suck.

21. You can not save documents on it: documents can only be viewed as attachments when they’re sent to your e-mail address.

22. No games!!

23. Its “quick list” dialing sucks compared to traditional speed dialing, which it lacks..

24. Long activation waits: many new iPhone users are reporting that they are being told to wait hours or even days to activate service for their phone. Thanks, AT&T!

25. Heat issues: the iPhone can get very hot when it is in use.
26. Deceptive Ads: Apple has been using models with gigantic hands in their advertisements for the iPhone in an effort to trick consumers into believing it is more compact.

27. Many of the positive press reports about the iPhone are influenced by newspapers and TV networks that simply want to profit from the hypefest, or even worse, reporters who are looking to sell books about the iPhone.

28. It creates incredibly annoying iPhone fanboys.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's small actually ^ go to any Apple store and you can see what its like. And 400$ isn't that expensive considering so many more phones are more than 600$

$400 is fucking expensive no matter how you look at it. Unless you're really rich.

I have a $60 mobile phone
smile.gif

jtroye32 - is that from iphonesux.com or something?

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
After using far superior Japanese phones, there's no way I could justify spending that much on an iPhone. My friend bought the cheapest phone he could find in Japan and it still kicks the iPhone's ass. *sigh* Why can't the rest of the world have cool phones?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: maddox.xmission.com/iphone

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
japan suckz (lol)

edit: nuh it's alright just very overrated. Nokia are the best phones I've used.

omg 666. I'm the devil bitchez
evil.gif
tpi.gif

TheWintergreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To explain these:

found this:

1. At $599, it is ridiculously expensive. (Add in the cost of an AT&T contract and you get close to $1500)

$399/299, and every cellphone will be at least $700 with the cost of a contract.

2. Those who want to buy one must sell their soul to evil mega-corporation AT&T.

Unless you use a jailbreak, or live somewhere beside the USA. And I would assume that other carriers will get their share within a year.

3. Japan already has technologically superior phones, and they’re far cheaper.

It depends on what is superior.

4. Slower internet than the commercials show: “The data experience is going to be very slow. If you’re on a cellular network, [using the Internet] is going to be very slow.”

If you're using a wireless network, then it is as nearly as fast as a computer on the network. (And it would be as fast if you are using a fairly old computer.) Using EDGE is about 3X dialup speed for me.

5. Initial reports indicate that YouTube is slow and crappy using cellular network internet/EDGE. It’s nothing like in the commercials.

Youtube on edge loads up as fast as wireless networks, the quality however, will dynamically decrease depending on the connection. Using my home network, it has higher quality then a regular PC, and on EDGE it looks like early youtube videos

6. You cannot remove its battery. Thanks for replicating one of the biggest complaints about the ipod, Apple!

Yes, true. You must pay Apple, unofficial store, or a risky DIY.

7. The glass touch screen of the iPhone guarantees that thousands of customers who drop their phones will have cracked screens.

It's actually much more resistant to cracking, scratching, etc. to other cellphone screens. I've dropped it multiple times without any screen damage.

8. The touchscreen keyboard sucks, according to those who have used the phone.
You can type as fast as a regular phone. Not as fast as a QWERTY keyboard though.

9. It can’t send MMS picture messages.
Probably will be added within a few months.

10. The camera has little or no options, and the pictures it takes aren’t very good.
I would say it has above average compared to other phones in quality. No options though.

11. It lacks proper support for Flash websites. So much for the internet.
Again, added sometime in the future.

12. It can’t record video.
Yup, the camera runs, I would guess, at about 5fps.

13. “Pinching” pictures to zoom might look neat in commercials, but many reviewers are saying it actually sucks.
It's much more intuitive and faster zooming in on the iPhone then other phones.

14. It lacks 3G high-speed data transfer.
Yup, just edge.

15. No songs as ringtones.
Added.

16. No GPS.
Yup. There was however, a 3rd party app, called Naveteq or something of that nature, and could triangulate your signal fairly accurately.

17. It doesn’t work under 64-bit Windows XP / Windows Vista!!!!!!! Thanks for not including that in your Windows System Requirements, Apple!
iTunes supports those.

18. It only allows for a maximum of 1 picture to be attached to each e-mail you send.
Mm...I haven't sent any pictures, but I would assume this is true.

19. It doesn’t have a file browser/organizer.
Um. I really don't know what on earth you would browse? You can view all the files in their respective apps. Photos, podcasts, videos, audiobooks, etc.

20. Its default ringtones suck.
There are actually about 4 pretty good ones. The rest are head scratchingly terrible. They sound like default sounds you would use in Windows Movie Maker or iMovie. A barking dog, motorcycle revving, pinball machine or a duck? No thanks.

21. You can not save documents on it: documents can only be viewed as attachments when they’re sent to your e-mail address.
True. Perhaps it will be added later on.

22. No games!!
The iPod's gotten games, there would be very little reason for Apple to not allow games, considering the screen can be used to make DS-like games. There is also fairly reasonable rumors that EA, among others, are signed on to produce games and apps already.

23. Its “quick list” dialing sucks compared to traditional speed dialing, which it lacks..
It requires a grand total of two clicks to call one of your favorites.

24. Long activation waits: many new iPhone users are reporting that they are being told to wait hours or even days to activate service for their phone. Thanks, AT&T!
Doesn't apply anymore. Took me maybe 30 minutes.

25. Heat issues: the iPhone can get very hot when it is in use.
I wouldn't say hot, it gets mildly warm.

26. Deceptive Ads: Apple has been using models with gigantic hands in their advertisements for the iPhone in an effort to trick consumers into believing it is more compact.
It is compact, thin, and very comfortable.

27. Many of the positive press reports about the iPhone are influenced by newspapers and TV networks that simply want to profit from the hypefest, or even worse, reporters who are looking to sell books about the iPhone.
It was just like Halo 3, hyped incredible amounts.

28. It creates incredibly annoying iPhone fanboys.
Any gadget can do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: /24