alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
iPhone%205%20steroids.jpg

QUOTE said:
Apple’s plans for the iPhone 5 extend beyond the iWallet and straight into a more mobile computing experience than you’ve seen before using an iPhone, at least that’s what Cult of Mac is claiming

The scoop is that use of Near Field Communication (NFC) technologies at Apple extends beyond personal security and payment systems and will also include solutions for remote computing on steroids.

As explained, the scenario could be like this: An iPhone user will carry lots of their desktop data and settings with them. When they approach an NFC-equipped Mac, they will be able to wave their phone and then all their applications, settings and data will load on the computer, even if it isn’t there’s.

This will be something, I think. And when a user walks away or their NFC-capable iPhone moves out of range, “boom”, all their data disappears from the Mac’s screen.

“The system would essentially turn any Apple computer into your own — like you’re actually working on your own computer. Same settings, look, bookmarks, preferences. It would all be invisible. Your iPhone would be all you needed to unlock your Mac,” an unidentified source told Cult of Mac.

This will include desktop security, mouse and keyboard settings and more. The whole thing extends to a user’s Home folder, which will be accessed via Back to my Mac or via MobileMe.

Apple is understood to have been trying to figure out how to make a Home folder truly mobile for years. Indeed, Cult of Mac warns this scenarion may never be implemented. However, given Apple’s investment in server space there’s got to be a good chance the company’s plotting a memorably transportable Mac-in-the-cloud experience.

icon11.gif
Source

Edit: http://www.coveringweb.com/2010/11/iphone-...ous-remote.html
More info

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
TwinRetro said:
color me unimpressed. make it work on a windows machine and we'll talk.
Agreed, Mac is fail. And what the hellll??? It's been barely an year since the iPhone 4 released, and iPhone 5 rumours are popping around?? Gah, I might as well wait for the iPhone 519 that has a built-in toilet and convertible car that pops out by pressing the "Release My Car" button. And of course, one that will talk.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The assumptions made in this article are wildly implausible. The next iteration of the iPhone will definitely not have this functionality (if Apple is seriously planning to implement it at any point). The infrastructure simply isn't there, nor the consumer acceptance of "cloud computing" and the security implications that come with it. This proposed tech also is not "remote computing," more an alternative to it (eg portable computing).

That being said, it's an interesting idea and definitely grounds for a huge paradigm shift in portable computing if it ever hits the market.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Jax said:
SamAsh07 said:
It's been barely an year since the iPhone 4 released, and iPhone 5 rumours are popping around??

You must be new to the Apple scene...
Whatever it is, my claim still stands so meh
tongue.gif
go 5 years ahead and what you have? An iPhone 8 or maybe 9

Apple is just milking it. Lol.
It's just another Final Fantasy series (of course the iPhone is a smartphone but still) being milked to 10+ versions except this time, by Apple.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
SamAsh07 said:
Jax said:
SamAsh07 said:
It's been barely an year since the iPhone 4 released, and iPhone 5 rumours are popping around??

You must be new to the Apple scene...
Whatever it is, my claim still stands so meh
tongue.gif
go 5 years ahead and what you have? An iPhone 8 or maybe 9

It's just another Final Fantasy series being milked to 10+ versions except this time, by Apple.

I don't know of any Final Fantasy game that costs $400+

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Alright, we're on the plane. I've got my luggage, my Macbook, and my....HOLY SHIT, WHERE'S MY iPHONE?!?!"

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Hikaru said:
"Alright, we're on the plane. I've got my luggage, my Macbook, and my....HOLY SHIT, WHERE'S MY iPHONE?!?!"
Check inside your luggage! Must be stuffed in!!
Haha, yeah, you'll never know. Apple might also do something that lets you recover your password for your Mac, obviously, but I still dislike Mac. But for some people like my mom, she sometimes doesn't unload some luggage for months
rofl.gif

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Hikaru said:
Check inside your luggage! Must be stuffed in!!

Check the toilet.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...66&pageNo=1

Also, as to the news article, the tech is pretty useless. Where else do you see Macs other than A) being used by someone else at a coffee shop or B) on sale at a store?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
It's just another Final Fantasy series (of course the iPhone is a smartphone but still) being milked to 10+ versions except this time, by Apple.
Like IE9? Windows 7? Chrome 8.0?

Not sure how you can fault a company for continuing to improve their product.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to backup Urza's point:

The iPod Touch 1st gen adds the multi-touch graphical user interface to the iPod line. It is the first iPod with wireless access to the iTunes Store, and also has access to Apple's App Store, enabling content to be purchased and downloaded directly on the device.

The second generation iPod Touch features external volume controls, a built-in speaker, a contoured back, built-in Nike+, Bluetooth support, and the ability to connect a microphone

The new 3rd generation iPod Touch includes faster hardware (the same microprocessors, graphics engine, and RAM as the iPhone 3GS), a slightly lower battery life, voice control, light sensor, and bundled earphones with a remote and microphone.

The 4th gen features Apple's Retina display and two cameras; one for FaceTime and the other for photos and HD video recording. It also contains Apple's A4 for faster processing, a microphone for communication and voice memos and a three-axis gyroscopic sensor which enables the device to recognize approximately how far, fast, and in which direction it has moved in space.[/p]

Stolen from wikipedia

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ritsuki said:
I can do the same thing with a USB flash drive.
No, you really can't. This goes far beyond simply running modularized applications on an unaltered and potentially compromised system.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Urza said:
Ritsuki said:
I can do the same thing with a USB flash drive.
No, you really can't. This goes far beyond simply running modularized applications on an unaltered and potentially compromised system.

Yeah, maybe for the security purposes, but for me, the "user concept" stays the same : to feel like home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it