Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
So your point is? It thosen't change the fact it modifies the system firmware albeit temporarly but like I said cfw those not have to be permanent. Lets just stop quarreling over this its just a word anyway aeof
NVM.

redNAND is meant for safety, better safe than sorry, right?

Anyway, anything that can be done on redNAND, can be done on sysNAND too!

Remember, redNAND is just loading NAND from SD Card, nothing else is different than sysNAND.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't another pro for redNAND the fact that it allows keeping the Wii U to a hackable firmware (on sysNAND) but still having access to the latest firmware (on redNAND)?
Well, not relevant today since the latest is hackable, but maybe it should be added anyway as a possibility if it's the case.
Don't you already need to be on the latest firmware to even use IOSU or redNAND hax the begin with? Now if you could downgrade the firmware in redNAND, although no point in doing this, unless you want the pause frame feature to work on TCPGecko client.

D

Deleted User

Afaik emunand/rednand has never really been popular on the original wii, why would it be on the wii u?

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
NVM.

redNAND is meant for safety, better safe than sorry, right?

Anyway, anything that can be done on redNAND, can be done on sysNAND too!

Remember, redNAND is just loading NAND from SD Card, nothing else is different than sysNAND.
Yeah pretty much true lol its just not many devs intertested in implementing redNAND features into wup server with cfw also since iosu cfw atm can only be loaded after system initilizes it has enough time to see unlegit system titles and brick so really thats the only thing redNAND over patched sysNAND can do considering it redirects your fw not injects into it

Last edited by KevinX8,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
call it "patched firmware" if you prefer.
the result is the same, and that's what all console scenes call a custom firmware since PSP ? a firmware with patches.
of course it's not a custom made from scratch, or it would be a replaced OS entirely (mini for wii ? I think there are even some for DS).

what most users call a custom firmware is just a way to patch functions of the official firmware. being installed to nand (replacing the original fw.bin) or loaded dynamycally from SD by a homebrew loader is irrelevant of what it is or isn't.

At best, what is "not" a cfw : Priiloader. as it patches the functions in real time in memory, and there's no recompiled system menu or hard modified firmware file.

Here, for the Wiiu, we are actually patching the fw.bin file, generating another fw.bin file. to me, it's what I call a CFW.
and no, "redNAND" is not "just" loading your dumped NAND, it's actually a modified function inside the firmware which redirect it, same as apply signature patch (it's not your Sd card which doesn't check the signature, it's actually the fw.bin you are loading), and adding WUP server functions too, not your SD card which is doing that.

"redirected NAND" by itself is not a custom firmware, it's not even a firmware. it's a full plain NAND copy which contains its own unmodified firmware*. it's a result of a custom firmware on real NAND redirecting I/O call.
what user call "redNAND" is the partition on SD, it's a copy of NAND. it doesn't do anything. what's actively doing the work is the loaded fw.bin

*I don't know if the fw.bin located on the dumped NAND is patched, but I guess it's not or else that dump couldn't be used to restore the NAND.
To me, the "magic" (I/O redirection, sign patch, wup servers, etc.) is done on realNAND's SD's fw.bin, and the redirected NAND's fw.bin is never loaded.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
and no, "redNAND" is not "just" loading your dumped NAND, it's actually a modified function inside the firmware which redirect it...
Kinda feels the same to me... XD

You must leave the signature patches thing out, it can also be done on sysNAND. (with black magic, I have done it before)

KevinX8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
with quick start my boot time for iosu cfw is only 20 secs from power to ready to lauch a title but those couple 5 secs before the title begins to launch the system can perform all the sig/hash checks it wants so really its not perfect but the best cold boot hax we have

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Even when the Wii u was split wide open by bushing, comet and others they couldn't get anything out of boot0... This was 4 years ago or more

Reactions: EclipseSin

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KevinX8 Just a two things for you...

System Config Tool can be installed to sysNAND with a proper package (which will not be provided here), and it will not take over the Home/System Menu. It also will only be usable while in CFW. That said, don't mess with it if you do not know what you're doing, as there are some options that can cause a brick.

Packages made using NUSPacker will work on sysNAND by either using a newer CFW (wupserver fw.img) with extra sigpatches, or by manually modifying the tik and tmd. I do the latter and have no problems.

That said, redNAND *IS* safer if you're looking for brick protection. If you're not going to be retarded, sysNAND is just fine.

Thanks. Later man.
Think you could share how to get the NUSPacker stuff working on Sysnand? I keep getting error FFFBF442 on wup installer mod y with anything that isn't an official Nintendo app. I can install fakesigned vc and such though.

KevinX8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Think you could share how to get the NUSPacker stuff working on Sysnand? I keep getting error FFFBF442 on wup installer mod y with anything that isn't an official Nintendo app. I can install fakesigned vc and such though.
Check op you have to use maschells fork until @FIX94 updates his

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ape8000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you want me to boot up sysNAND sigpatches, install a corrupted update, and just hope it doesn't brick...
While trying to figure out what the install errors were, I deliberately installed multiple different type of corrupt WUP installs to sysNAND. Every time it gave an error.
As WUPinstaller only sends a path to the Wii U's install program, you had better hope Nintendo did their job properly and didn't allow corrupt files to brick.

Reactions: KevinX8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet