IOSUHAX CFW vs REDNAND

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by KevinX8, Nov 13, 2016.

?

Which do you use?

1. REDNAND

39 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. IOSUHAX CFW

82 vote(s)
    59.0%
  3. Vanilla all the way son

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. KevinX8
    OP

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Currently there are two ways you can use to get full access to your wii u to do whatever you want to it they are iosu cfw and rednand respectively. This thread is mainly for newcomers unsure of what to install on their brand new haxorz machines. On this Thread I will post there pro's and con's for each one and update them as time goes on. Eventually once boot 0 cfw comes out iosu CFW will obvs win so rednand will become redundant but for now its still useful so wait until then.

Why do I want any cfw?
    The main reason you would want custom firmware is to install unsigned tickets for things like eshop titles and DLC. You can also install Regionhax allowing you to run any game region free forever. Atm its not very useful to the end user just for experimenting really

IOSU CFW
    Pros

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Cons
    REDNAND
    Pros

Cons
    For anyone that is unaware you can install unsigned titles of any kind on both just fine(includes eshop only titles,DLC etc.)

NUSpacker on sysNAND now works if you use @Maschell 's fork here

If you feel I have left any pros or cons out feel free to leave a reply with what I missed

You can weight out what is best for yourself from these pros and cons, the current iosuhax cfw I use can be found here and is maintained by @FIX94 and for redNAND installs the recommended fork is @dimok 's one here , neither of these could have been possible without @smealum so thank him for his work too.

Last edited by KevinX8, Nov 14, 2016

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You should add the sysnand cfw can run Wii VC (You know the special wii eshop titles with gamepad support)
    And Rednand can't run vWii.

3. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    nvm

Last edited by DarkGabbz, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Isn't another pro for redNAND the fact that it allows keeping the Wii U to a hackable firmware (on sysNAND) but still having access to the latest firmware (on redNAND)?
    Well, not relevant today since the latest is hackable, but maybe it should be added anyway as a possibility if it's the case.

5. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    yeah thats true will add that also will add sysconfig tool thosent work on sysNAND because its system titles aswell

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You need 64 GB sd card if you have the black 32 gb wii u is what they meant.

7. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    wtf, iosuhax is the "tool-chain" that permits us to create some patched fw.img so it should be "redNAND fw.img VS WUPserver fw.img"

8. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Updating in rednand will brick it so that is pointless (Several devs have proved that)

TotalInsanity4 and zeldaism like this.
  9. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    LOL. Well, I thought this would be a pro since it is (or was, before a9lh) the case on the 3DS, and it was even its goal.

10. Rusb

Rusb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    The best would be sysnand with coldboot recovery like we had on wii

11. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    My dump/install took around 1 1/2 hour to dump, + System speed's are the same for both nands here.

True, But we still have access to sysNAND that has a working vWii.

12. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Unless you bricked vwii. Which then your limited to Wii VC because it uses OSv1 instead of your bricked OSv0

13. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Wupserver is on rednand too so that thosen't really matter CFW sounds better anyway since thats what it pretty much

14. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    IOSUHAX CFW sysNAND.
    All homebrew are in the very early stages anyway. Everything is too early to say anyway.

My hopes for NTR viewer U on sysNAND!

15. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Its different for everyone it seems some people report 9 hours to dump or even longer, guessing the NAND chip your wii u came with and sd card would affect the dump speed also if you have some Class II 64GB sd card from china rated at 10MB/s it will only run at that speed so yes it will affect rednand speed

Jaythe4 likes this.
  16. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Never going to happen. NTR viewer only worked on new 3ds because it was running off the extra hardware of the new 3ds which is also why no old 3ds support.

Chuardo likes this.
  17. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Before or after making a redNAND image? If you bricked your vWii before making a redNAND image, It'll be exactly the same on the redNAND image after... Bricked. RedNAND is 1v1 image (Pretty much) of sysNAND on SD card with sig patches & so on.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Nov 13, 2016
  18. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    But rednand can't boot OSv1 (Wii VC) meaning you can't use any wii related software after bricked vwii

BIFFTAZ likes this.
  19. KevinX8
    OP

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Mario Kart 8 can do screen recording so I don't see why this can't be implemented into other games... Will just have to wait and see I guess

20. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    But it's the Wii U, it's strong??