Hacking IOS Reloading question

claud10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK, some games become unplayable in USB loaders or even in disc loaders because they restart the IOS. The way to bypass it in disc loaders is to start the game from an alternate .dol, and usb loaders simply can't because restarting the IOS also restarts usb storage. The question is, isn't there any other way to bypass this issue? I m thinking about, for instance, preventing ios reloading from preloader.

claud10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, then it is possible. I actually haven t tried usb loaders. I ve been using Neogamma r7 and till now I ve not got any issue (I haven t tried one of the problematic games). So now the question is, is it possible for Neogamma or IOS249 to implement the same for disc loading?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
claud10 said:
Thanks, then it is possible. I actually haven t tried usb loaders. I ve been using Neogamma r7 and till now I ve not got any issue (I haven t tried one of the problematic games). So now the question is, is it possible for Neogamma or IOS249 to implement the same for disc loading?

I suppose it is, but it has no IOS selection code implemented, so...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
k, i dont want to get into too much details, but when it comes to ios reloading, backup disks are more likely to work than usb loaders. So far the only game i know of in this situation is call of duty 3, if u download this ios, u have to patch it to use IOS249 (with generic wii patcher) before burning it to a disk, then it will load, however, loading it via a usb loader will not work, i think this is because when the IOS reloads to read a new alt-dol (this game uses a different alt-dol for each level), it stops reading from the USB, and blocking ios reload doesn't solve the problem. But backup disk loading works for this game, but u have to use generic wii patcher first. There are threads littered with this info, so search for it if u want a better explanation (best to look under usb loader compatibility).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
block IOS reload only works on one game: House of the Dead 2 & 3 The Return

it should not be on for any other game as it only results in a blackscreen when trying to return to the wii menu. if it actually worked, we wouldn't need altdols.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
xflak40 said:
house of the dead 2 and 3 needs block ios reload? it still works for me and i dont have it on. I have 2 use an alt dol to load house of the dead 2, is this the same case for u. (a little off topic, but i'm curious now)
You have to use EITHER the block IOS reload option or the alternative dol option to get it to work. Either will do the job.

The problem with the USB loaders is that the IOS needs to be reloaded for these game to work, but reloading the IOS, even if you have forced it to choose IOS249, means the connection to the USB drive is lost. There have been workarounds proposed, such as using an Ocarina type cheat to handle the IOS reload while preserving the USB connection, but nobody has worked out exactly how to do that yet.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
???

The alternative .dol loading works the same for disc and usb loaders. But loading from disc is more robust, because as long as the cIOS is (still or again) running, you are able to load the game, while on usb, the IOS must not be reloaded. The alternative .dol loading intends to jump over the IOS Reload, which works on most multi .dol games.

The block IOS reload function that some loaders offer only works in very few games. I don't know if it's only House of the Dead 2 & 3.

And a preloader hack won't help anything. When playing a game with an usb loader the following happens:

The arm is only running a regular IOS and the ppc is only running the loader. Really nothing else is running at this point, there's no OS or whatever.
The loader makes the arm load the cIOS.
The loader makes the cIOS mount the wbfs partiton. For Waninkoko's cIOS, this can only be done from the ppc. (don't know about Hermes, but i think it's the same there)
The loader prepares launching of the game and loads the main.dol into memory.
The loader launches the main.dol on the ppc. From that point on, it's only the game that runs on the ppc.

As you see, only cIOS, loader and game itself matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol +1