Hacking IOS and other things

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Chaps,

I have started messing around on the good old wii again and have been using dopmii and wad manager for somethings.

Now I have been following tutorials and guides but I am still a little scared.

Basically, which IOS's should I not be messing with?

For instance the last guide I looked at told me to use IOS249 and change IOS37

Dangerous?

Thanks for all and any advice

Zoot

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Messing with old tutorials is always dangerous. Most people here recommend modmii as guidance for your modding. It's constantly kept up to date and it downloads the needed stuff automatically for you.

The most dangerous ios are 60, 70 and 80 as they are used by the different system menu's. If your system menu get's corrupt, you have a brick.

A good guidline is to stay away from messing with ios below 200, unless you know what you are doing.

Having a nand backup is like having a life raft on a boat. Don't skip the step in taking one.

Having bootmii @ boot2 together with a nand backup is the best brick protection. If your wii is unable of having bootmii @ boot2, you still can use bootmii as an ios to take your nand backup.

Next in line is priiloader. It can block online updates and disc updates. It can also help in case of a banner brick.

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Messing with old tutorials is always dangerous. Most people here recommend modmii as guidance for your modding. It's constantly kept up to date and it downloads the needed stuff automatically for you.

The most dangerous ios are 60, 70 and 80 as they are used by the different system menu's. If your system menu get's corrupt, you have a brick.

A good guidline is to stay away from messing with ios below 200, unless you know what you are doing.

Having a nand backup is like having a life raft on a boat. Don't skip the step in taking one.

Having bootmii @ boot2 together with a nand backup is the best brick protection. If your wii is unable of having bootmii @ boot2, you still can use bootmii as an ios to take your nand backup.

Next in line is priiloader. It can block online updates and disc updates. It can also help in case of a banner brick.

I modded the wii about 2 years ago to 4.2 Euro
I want to make a newer NAND backup - working on that in another thread.

What I am actually using the dopmii and wadmanager for is the Rockband and Rawksd stuff i.e. Custom Songs, Artwork etc
plus some wad channels for usb loader gx.

One of the tutorials recommends using IOS37 - Is this dangerous?

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
using an iso is not dangerous
replacing is, removing even more

I think it requires installing some wads to IOS37 but specifies using dopmii to change the IOS37 to something like 5527 (if that makes sense)
(at work so can't get to the actual tutorial)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe you didn't understand the guide (or the guide is written or translated badly).
ISO249 is only the location information where the custom IOS is usually installed.

In this slot, you can place customized IOS based on real IOS.
Here what is done when you install a cIOS BASE 37 : It takes the original IOS37 as a base, it patches the internal function and you obtain a custom IOS, this cIOS has to be installed somewhere in your Wii and it's installed in slot 249.
You now have a cIOS249[37].

so, no it's not dangerous to use 37, it was required for some games.
Now, all games are working fine with a base56 or 57, so your tutorial is old and you shouldn't follow it.

You should follow a new tutorial, or install cIOS d2x with base56 in slot 249, and base57 in slot 250.

Then, in USBloaderGX (or any other loader), you tell the game to use the slot 249 or 250.

Never install something in a slot from 0 to 199 yourself.
The IOS installed in the lower slots are the original IOS from Nintendo. They are used as BASE when you install a cIOS in a upper slot.

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks that makes more sense.

Could you possibly point me to a tutorial for this part
Install cIOS d2x with base56 in slot 249, and base57 in slot 250.

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to sound like a total newbie but modmii seems to be a PC program and I can't find a straight forward tutorial about updating to
cIOS d2x with base56 in slot 249, and base57 in slot 250.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, it's a pc program. Just tell it you will mod your wii for the first time and answer it's questions. It will create a detailed guide of what to do. In this guide you will also find the updates of cios 249 and cios 250.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
using an iso is not dangerous
replacing is, removing even more

I think it requires installing some wads to IOS37 but specifies using dopmii to change the IOS37 to something like 5527 (if that makes sense)
(at work so can't get to the actual tutorial)
It makes perfect sense but the version number. RawkSD 2 uses IOS37 v3869. And IIRC, it'll also has to be patched by dop-mii as well. It's important not to use a newer version, which is also the reason why to stay away from rawksd patcher (which installs the latest version). This also means you'll need a retail version of rock band 2.

Keep in mind this is pretty much the sole exception to the rule of thumb not to mess with IOS'es below 200. Most of the actual hacking is done, as suggested above, with cIOS'es with high numbers.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, you don't install a "wad" file.
You use Dop-mii (not Modmii) homebrew on your Wii to automatically download, patch and install IOS37 v3869.

Or, there's certainly a way to create that patched IOS using ModMii which, in this case, will create a wad file that you can install using a Wad Manager.

Be sure to understand what you are doing.
Or ask more help if require.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So do I install the wads for Rock Band 2 to IOS37 ??
You're mixing up two things here.

1. modmii downloads your cIOS'es and regular IOS'es on your PC and packs them into wads. Wads are kinda the equivalent of .exe files on windows: once run with a wad manager, they do "specific things" on your wii. What, that depends on what wad you want to install. Wad managers tend to let you pick an IOS or cIOS to be used during installation, but it is in no way influencing how the wad works.
2. dop-mii lets you download the IOS'es directly and install them equally directly. Like Cyan mentioned.

@[member='JoostinOnline']: no. Sorry. That's exactly what I said in my previous post: rawkSD should indeed install and patch IOS37, but it doesn't. Or rather: it should install and patch the correct IOS37 instead of the latest one. Unfortunately, support for the RawkSD patcher ended (IIRC) even before that date-restrictioned public beta3 came out.

Reactions: 1 person

zootoxin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK Guys, thanks for the help.

I am going to re-(hack)Update my Wii this weekend using mod-mii then I should have all the latest and correct IOS's and CIOS's.
Then I will update USB - Loader GX.

Wish me luck

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That won't fix your RawkSD problem.
RawkDS doesn't require an update, but a specific version.

You can always try to rehack, you will be sure to have all latest versions for every other homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: Are we quoting Greasy Strangler or Napoleon Dynamite? Haven't seen either in a fat minute