Fluto

A potato in disguise
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
just a quick question about internet plans in places other than Australia
currently 130gb a month for $50
my IT teacher says in places like in USA people pay a small fee is that true? is Australia getting ripped off? Why am i asking so many questions ?!?

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the UK and pay £15 a month for 'limited unlimited' fibre optic Broadband. I say Limited Unlimited as there's no download limit but my speeds are halved between 2 and 4am. I'm on 20Mbps anyway so it doesn't matter to me...

Yes, I think you're being ripped off! There are even cheaper plans in the UK than the one I'm on...

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Be happy you don't live in Belgium.

My internet speed is incredibly slow, we pay way too much for the speed we get and our download capacity is capped at 50GB or so.

And we pay more than you.

dry.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Where I live currently I pay 50 euros a month for 100Mbit/s up & down. There are some cheaper companies here, but they all have crappy support so I opted for the better company. No caps or any other restrictions.

Previously I had a ADSL2+ connection for about 19 euros a month. As with my current connection there wasn't any limits.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I dunno how much my mum pays but recently we upgraded to unlimited 20Mb/s from 10Mb/s for £1 extra a month.
We even got a free router :3

We get capped to 500kb/s instead of 100~kb/s now, which I guess its better but meh.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With the possible exception of South Korea and urban Japan as well as universities the world over and some of mainland Europe catching up there is a large difference between what is available and what is reasonably possible.

Australia (and even more so if you factor in the nonsense your (former?) goverment was playing at) is something of a running joke among "developed" countries however (house prices are already affected by broadband- I have seen people opt out of emigrating/immigrating for similar reasons although how tongue in cheek that was remains to be seen). All in all though I think it is a lack of real competition (or kneecapping of potential competition) and somewhat weak regulation (speeds up to, unlimited with fair use....) that brings this about coupled with people always wanting to pay the least (in almost every other aspect including other telecommunications people will size up deals and spend a long time but internet which for now is still computer related).

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mezut360 said:
just a quick question about internet plans in places other than Australia
currently 130gb a month for $50
my IT teacher says in places like in USA people pay a small fee is that true? is Australia getting ripped off? Why am i asking so many questions ?!?

It's not just Australia that has high internet charges. Where I am I get a 170GB package with up to 7mb speed (I really only get 5mb) all for $64 AUD or so converted.
frown.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
$40 a month for flatrate internet at 5Mbit down/256kbit up, and dynamic IP. A fixed IP costs an arm and a leg.

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
40 euros for 20MB/sec download (higher in the weekends/evenings and nights, it can top around 50MB/sec) and an upload of around 5 MB/sec (again, higher in weekends etc. tops in at around 7.5-8MB/sec) unlimited. Also in the package is HDTV with 1000 channels and landline phone.

D

Deleted_171835

I have Rogers Internet Express with a 70 GB cap.
10 Mbps down.
512Kbps up.
It costs $46.99 CAD.

Bell Fibe's internet with a 75 GB cap on the other hand is...
16 Mbps down
1 Mbps up
It also costs $46.99 CAD
Why haven't I switched yet?

I wish I had better upload. 512Kbps is horrible. The cap is what's killing me. I need unlimited bandwith. I would switch to TekSavvy with unlimited bandwith but it's only 5 Mbps down. We need another company to knock the major two, Bell and Rogers down and provide an alternative to the shitty internet they offer.

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
well there are some good plans in australia especially with TPG they have i think 250gig for $50 adsl2+
in other countries they have fibre optic internet which the labor government will bring in once they are re elected.

im currently at my dads on a $99 plan bundle with telstra which gets me a T-Box (with unlimited movie downloads), Unlimited national calls to land lines $2 extra for mobiles, and 20gb of internet but the cool thing is bigpond allows you to get as much as you want un metered download from their websites which i think is fantastic as thye have such a large range of things to download on their websites.

As i said earlier TPG offer
Cheap large amounts of internet some of their plans include 200 gb of internet at 4mgps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.