Hacking Internet Channel Tweaks

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puma said:
How about support for downloading files to SD/USB?
That's only about the fourth time that has been suggested......

Read the thread before you post
lecture.gif

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me clarify a few things before this thread goes any further:

+ I do not have the source code to the Internet Channel. What I am working with is the unpacked WAD and unpacked APP (U8) archives. A lot of the Opera UI and scripts that are included are raw, in that they aren't encoded. The files are html, png, javascript, and css, making them very organic to work with.

+ I will not send the packed or unpacked WAD to anyone, as of now. While my bandwidth is 20/5 on dedicated fios, yours probably isn't. What takes me 5 seconds probably takes you 5 minutes. I will, however, be willing to send individual files that you can patch into your unpacked WAD and APP archives, however it would be more ideal if changes were viewable publically.

+ The Internet Channel can be downloaded via NUS: 0001000148414445

+ In order for this to be a joint effort, we all need to be looking at the same thing. Get the WAD and unpack it as I have. The most beneficial archives are 02.app through 06.app. After that, making changes becomes easy.

Doing it any other way will take patience most of you won't appreciate, as I'm working on this at a turtle's pace.

WB3000 said:
When you changed the flash version, was it at 0x7C2371?

I don't think support for SD/USB/whatever saving will be that possible. There would have been hope had certain files had this support, but as far as I know this is not the case. (ie. if there was support to download pictures only, it would have been easy to trick it to have Octet-Streams/anything be downloaded as well. Unless there is unused code for saving, this probably isn't going to happen.

I simply searched for 7.0 r6 and changed it as I found it. I believe it appears 3 times.

As far as the downloading is concerned, I have a few ideas I'm working on. I'll let you know more as I start experimenting. Right now, I'm playing with the UI more than anything. My main goal, first and foremost, is to get the UI to a level of usability that I deem adequate.

This includes:

- Making a transparent keyboard that functions similar to one found on the iPhone or Android.
- Tabs that can be cycled through by either a button combination or through button/gesture combinations.
- Changing form handling to act like a normal browser.
- Persistence within websites.
- General enhancements to both the look and feel of the UI, including but not limited to increasing the screen realestate.
- Improved homepage with a bookmarks bar.

Possibly:

- Streaming multimedia in the background.
- Enhanced predictive text.
- Adding more preferences.

If anyone would like to help out with any of these items, I wouldn't be against it. Thanks.

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the wii(opera) store files(pictures) in temporary caches? If so, then here's our solution to the downloading

I'm DL'ing Wii Opera files from NUSD right now and I'm gonna look into the code. Where does NUSD store WADs? Can't seem to find it...

EDIT: NVM the NUSD thing...

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
forbore said:
In what file was the flash version number? I've only looked at the openarc so far...

0000001.app

It's the binary for the Internet Channel. Just do a string search.

As far as storing files in cache, the problem is that there's a filter on what types of files get cached. I'm looking into a more robust solution that won't require going through the vffs every time you download something.

cheatmaster5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crazygamer51 said:
i can't get this to install
help

i had this problem to delete your save data for the internet channel.
then uninstall the internet channel using wad manger 1.4

By the why this sounds like its coming along great, it makes me very excited.
lecture.gif

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheatmaster5 said:
crazygamer51 said:
i can't get this to install
help

i had this problem to delete your save data for the internet channel.
then uninstall the internet channel using wad manger 1.4

By the why this sounds like its coming along great, it makes me very excited.
lecture.gif

I'm still using 1.3, seems to work best for me.

And actually, it's coming along horribly. With all the commented code they have in the Javascript files, I'm finding a lot of frustration in this. There's a balance between adding features and gimping past ones that I'm beginning to hate.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WB3000 said:
Saving to VFF (cache) would have NAND writing code. Probably not easy to alter that.
frown.gif

My thoughts exactly.

What would be ideal is if we could implement saving via Flash or Jscript. The directories are fully accessible, so it wouldn't be hard to point it at a custom one.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WB3000, maybe we could jump on IRC and collaborate on this?

irc://irc.gbatemp.net:5190/opera

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chaseincats said:
can someone please sumerize what we can do with the Internet channel as if now

thanks,
chaseincats

If you had bothered to read through the thread, you would have seen that a lot of the functionality of the Internet Channel is being improved upon:

I'm adding tabs, making the OSK optional and less obtrusive(my goal is to make it be transparent and only take up half the screen when open), making the UI a lot more concise, removing features that are hardly used(back and forward buttons come to mind), binding more functions to buttons, and more.

As I mentioned above, I would also like to implement features most modern browsers have, but are rarely used because of inconviniency. Gestures are more obvious with the Wiimote than they are with the mouse, and to use them while browsing would tie the experience together.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, apparently Opera for Devices SDK 9.7 will be released soon. With it, the Wii is expected to get updated Flash support, faster page rendering, synchronization with other Opera enabled devices, and a whole host of new features.

I've been trying to find a release of SDK 9.6 to play around with, but have yet to find one.

In any case, lets keep trying to make this version better.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well r u sure nintendo will update it its unlike nintendo unless where u read this it said the wii is gunna get an update

source link plz=] where u found it

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
justinrocks123 said:
well r u sure nintendo will update it its unlike nintendo unless where u read this it said the wii is gunna get an update

source link plz=] where u found it

Just Google "CES 2009 Opera"

Also, complete, proper sentences are appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...