Homebrew Installing Unlaunch issue

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
I sat down today and decided to try installing Hiyacfw on my DSI XL today. Things went smoothly enough, but once I finished restoring the unlaunch nand, it loads up to this.
https://ibb.co/ehDbgJ
ehDbgJ

Which seems right, but once I press any button it loads up to this
https://ibb.co/b72Qad
b72Qad

The dsi guide makes no mention of this part and implies that the system should just load back to the dsi home menu. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any steps, but that's always a possibility. Am I missing a file on the SD card? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Swampat

The swamp monster that pats the ground
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
I sat down today and decided to try installing Hiyacfw on my DSI XL today. Things went smoothly enough, but once I finished restoring the unlaunch nand, it loads up to this.
https://ibb.co/ehDbgJ
ehDbgJ

Which seems right, but once I press any button it loads up to this
https://ibb.co/b72Qad
b72Qad

The dsi guide makes no mention of this part and implies that the system should just load back to the dsi home menu. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any steps, but that's always a possibility. Am I missing a file on the SD card? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
I had this issue yesterday but it took me hours to fix it. So try doing all the steps again.,

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this issue yesterday but it took me hours to fix it. So try doing all the steps again.,
Thing is, I can't get to the dsi menu at all to retry the steps. After I press a button the system goes straight to the "An error has occurred" screen, and without access to the dsi menu I can't really do much with it. Unless there's some secret button combo I'm not aware of...

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, I can't get to the dsi menu at all to retry the steps. After I press a button the system goes straight to the "An error has occurred" screen, and without access to the dsi menu I can't really do much with it. Unless there's some secret button combo I'm not aware of...
I really hope you got a Clean and Verified Dump of your nand.

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you ever end up finding a solution to this?
Short answer: Yes and no.
Long answer: I tried doing what igpltv recommended, but I basically had the same issue, every time the system tried loading into the dsi menu it would freeze on a white screen.
Basically I could load into bootcode.dsi on the sd card root no problem, but I couldn't do anything beyond that which involves the system menu.
At this point I decided to randomly try taking fwtool.nds and renaming it to bootcode.dsi to see if it would work, and amazingly it did.
Since fwtool can restore my nand, I just put my old nand backup back on the sd card, and restored it without issue, no need for a hardmod.
The Dsi works perfectly now, but it's just a stock dsi again, no cfw.
So yes, it's working now, but no I didn't get cfw on it. Maybe I'll try again when cfw tools are safer and more stable, for now I'm just glad the Dsi isn't bricked.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Long answer: I tried doing what igpltv recommended, but I basically had the same issue, every time the system tried loading into the dsi menu it would freeze on a white screen.
Basically I could load into bootcode.dsi on the sd card root no problem, but I couldn't do anything beyond that which involves the system menu.
At this point I decided to randomly try taking fwtool.nds and renaming it to bootcode.dsi to see if it would work, and amazingly it did.
Since fwtool can restore my nand, I just put my old nand backup back on the sd card, and restored it without issue, no need for a hardmod.
So yes, it's working now, but no I didn't get cfw on it. Maybe I'll try again when cfw tools are safer and more stable, for now I'm just glad the Dsi isn't bricked.

Did you have 1.4.5 version of firmware on NAND? That was why. 0.7's patches broke 1.4.5 FW (and possibly fw versions 1.4.1 or greator. 1.4 is the only one I personally know that 0.7 worked on)

You should try installing Unlaunch 0.8. It was updated so that 1.4.1+ FWs should boot properly with it.

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you have 1.4.5 version of firmware on NAND? That was why. 0.7's patches broke 1.4.5 FW (and possibly fw versions 1.4.1 or greator. 1.4 is the only one I personally know that 0.7 worked on)

You should try installing Unlaunch 0.8. It was updated so that 1.4.1+ FWs should boot properly with it.
Thanks for the advice, I was on 1.4.5 so that's probably why. I'll give the new unlaunch a try when I have more time.

laptecumiere

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

Can you please help me? I'm currently having the same problem as you did. Everything went fine until I've installed unlaunch, this is the third console for today, the other two went fine.

I've done as you've said, renaming the fwtool.nds back to bootcode.dsi and I can enter it, but how do you restore the nand? I have DS(i) firmware tool 2.0.0.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, might be important, loading up the firmware tool shows me on the bottom screen that the NAND_CID is completely blank, doesn't have any numbers or characters

Last edited by laptecumiere,

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please help me? I'm currently having the same problem as you did. Everything went fine until I've installed unlaunch, this is the third console for today, the other two went fine.

I've done as you've said, renaming the fwtool.nds back to bootcode.dsi and I can enter it, but how do you restore the nand? I have DS(i) firmware tool 2.0.0.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, might be important, loading up the firmware tool shows me on the bottom screen that the NAND_CID is completely blank, doesn't have any numbers or characters
I'm not an expert on this, so I don't know how much I can help, and I don't want to lead you wrong.
You still have a untouched backup of the Nand from when you first ran the exploit, right? If not then you're screwed. (Also keep in mind that nand backups are console specific!!! you can't just dump a different DSI's Nand and restore it to fix your 3rd DSI)
If you do still have the nand backup for the 3rd DSI, copy the untouched nand backup to your sd card and FWtool should give you the option to restore it. If it doesn't give you that option, then I'm not sure how to help. For some reason FWtool 2.0.0 doesn't give me the option of restoring nand too, so maybe they removed the ability to nand restore from a update between me making this thread and now. Alternatively it could also not give me the option because I'm running SD nand.
If the option doesn't show up for you after doing that, I'd recommend making a new thread on here asking for help, or joining the DSIbrew discord and asking there. https://discordapp.com/invite/XRXjzY5
Make sure you specify to them that the DSI isn't fully bricked, that you can load any .nds app by renaming it bootcode.dsi, and that all you want to do is load a app that can restore your nand. Hopefully someone can point you towards an app that can restore your nand. Best of luck.

Munandar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I

I have this problem too.. My firmware is 1.4.2J and I try many versions of Unlaunch, none of them work. Is there any solution to this problem?

D

Deleted User

Probably the only way is to hardmod, which is hard and very prone to screw-ups

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over