Installing Unlaunch issue

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by TangentingTangerines, May 9, 2018.

1. TangentingTangerines
    OP

TangentingTangerines Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    Hey all,
    I sat down today and decided to try installing Hiyacfw on my DSI XL today. Things went smoothly enough, but once I finished restoring the unlaunch nand, it loads up to this.
    https://ibb.co/ehDbgJ
    [​IMG]
    Which seems right, but once I press any button it loads up to this
    https://ibb.co/b72Qad
    [​IMG]
    The dsi guide makes no mention of this part and implies that the system should just load back to the dsi home menu. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any steps, but that's always a possibility. Am I missing a file on the SD card? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Swampat

Swampat The swamp monster that pats the ground

May 25, 2017
    United States
    I had this issue yesterday but it took me hours to fix it. So try doing all the steps again.,

3. TangentingTangerines
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    Thing is, I can't get to the dsi menu at all to retry the steps. After I press a button the system goes straight to the "An error has occurred" screen, and without access to the dsi menu I can't really do much with it. Unless there's some secret button combo I'm not aware of...

4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    I really hope you got a Clean and Verified Dump of your nand.

5. TangentingTangerines
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    I do, but I don't have the skills or tools to hardmod in order to restore it (unless there's another way)
    I also have a modded 3ds, so losing the dsi isn't the end of the world for me.

6. igpltv

igpltv Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2017
    United States
    Hey I have this problem too! I also have the exact same DSi XL as OP.

Last edited by igpltv, May 10, 2018
    TangentingTangerines likes this.
  7. igpltv

igpltv Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2017
    United States
    Okay dude, found a solution, thanks to @Apache Thunder for telling me.
    Just put Unloader (the latest version) on the root of your SD card and rename it to bootcode.dsi.

8. Jake336612

Jake336612 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2018
    United States
    did you ever end up finding a solution to this?

9. TangentingTangerines
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    Short answer: Yes and no.
    Long answer: I tried doing what igpltv recommended, but I basically had the same issue, every time the system tried loading into the dsi menu it would freeze on a white screen.
    Basically I could load into bootcode.dsi on the sd card root no problem, but I couldn't do anything beyond that which involves the system menu.
    At this point I decided to randomly try taking fwtool.nds and renaming it to bootcode.dsi to see if it would work, and amazingly it did.
    Since fwtool can restore my nand, I just put my old nand backup back on the sd card, and restored it without issue, no need for a hardmod.
    The Dsi works perfectly now, but it's just a stock dsi again, no cfw.
    So yes, it's working now, but no I didn't get cfw on it. Maybe I'll try again when cfw tools are safer and more stable, for now I'm just glad the Dsi isn't bricked.

10. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas

Did you have 1.4.5 version of firmware on NAND? That was why. 0.7's patches broke 1.4.5 FW (and possibly fw versions 1.4.1 or greator. 1.4 is the only one I personally know that 0.7 worked on)

You should try installing Unlaunch 0.8. It was updated so that 1.4.1+ FWs should boot properly with it.

11. TangentingTangerines
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the advice, I was on 1.4.5 so that's probably why. I'll give the new unlaunch a try when I have more time.