Installing Cias always slow as balls?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by masterz87, Jun 19, 2015.

1. masterz87
    OP

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    I thouht that the vita's backup system/restoring was ungodly slow but installing cias seems to be barely going at 1MB/s tops at least the vita with all of it's shenninagens went at ~2-3MB/s.

I'm using rxtools with sig patching, and a class 6 cardwith veyr little on it with emunand which i don't think changes much as i's always been slow even in pastacfw.

2. Septimo

Septimo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    United States
    In general, a class 10 would help, but yeah--installing CIA's is pretty slow. People complain about it and some people(who can) use roms instead, but I'm honestly not particularly bothered by it. I installed 35GB's+ of CIA's the other day--that was slow. If I have a lot to install, I just leave my 3DS on overnight. It is what it is, unfortunately.

Last edited by Septimo, Jun 19, 2015
  3. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    it is annoying, but not a dealbreaker for me.

4. masterz87
    OP

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    When I did tests on the card, 32k writes were still getting ~4MB/s, and sustained was doing ~20MB/s. I imagine that all of the cia importing code is completely unoptimized as balls. I also imagine that it runs much better on n3ds since I know in plenty parts of europe and in major japanese areas download speeds of ~4MB/s(~30Mb/s) is not unheard of. Well I'll be waiting around and hopefully try to get a a n3ds on 9.2 pretty soon then.

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Nothing would help. It caps at 1MB/s (at least on the o3DS) on my Class 10/UHS 1.
    What it does is read (from the container), encrypt the read data, and write to the SD, all at the same time.

6. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    It's a one time thing really, I don't care at all.

dedChar and mech like this.
  7. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    the source is from the same sd card (read and write within same storage). slow cia installing is expected. just deal with it

8. masterz87
    OP

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    Wait just a second, don't you have to send a cia via the internet during installation of pbt? I wonder if Icould do that, I need to see how fast it'd go then.

9. forcefield

forcefield Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2015
    France
    sysnand
    Sending big CIA's over wifi is even more slow. Ftbrony and such are most for small files like for testing homebrew without removing sd card 9999 times a day.
    Btw, the PBT/Palantine method for sending & installing CIA over wifi works only for PBT/Palantine.

10. Pestilence204

Pestilence204 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2014
    Canada
    FBI has an option to install CIAs over your network using sockfile. Can't imagine it being any quicker though. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It is slow as hell and there is no alternative, deal with it and do something else while your CIAs install.
    Perhaps watch a movie or take a cup of coffee depending on the size of your CIA.
    Also, batch install if you plan to install multiple things, and in this case leave it doing its business while you sleep.
    The shit is slow, that's life, you have to live with it.

PS: I once installed around 30GB worth of CIAs and it took more than 9 hours, it was a good night sleep + breakfast + waiting some more... Yeah, the shit is slow.

12. tehrzky

tehrzky Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2015
    can i install cia while my 3ds is in standby mode(Fold)? tnx

13. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    It's actually much much slower, don't try it!!!!! :P Even using local WLAN is very slow. I don't know why.

Player615 likes this.