Hacking Installing CFW Pros and Cons?

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as I said above, I can help you mod your 3ds with the use of a $2 DSiWare game using seedminer, it's not on the guides yet, because it's a harder way that only needs one system
Ok where do I acquire this"Seed Miner"?

Also thast for the response because the more I read on into this How to Guide, the more I feel comfortable doing it. However, I have limitations against me...

Heres what I am working with..

1 "New" 2DS XL Console
1 SanDisk 32 GB Micro SDHC
11.6 software version

Last edited by Ronanklan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello everyone,
I am new to these forums, well posting anyways, i have been reading them ever since i first got my "New" Nintendo 2DS XL a few months ago.

My question is this, I have been reading ALOT about installing Custom Firmware in order to use HomeBrew or install Badges and other positive things. Yes, everything I have been reading about the system after the CFW is installed is ALL positive stuff, SO, is there any downsides to installing CFW? Is there anything I can NO longer do with my 2DS XL after I install said CFW? If i do install CFW and i change my mind about it, is there a way to undo the install and go back to the way it was prior to the installation of said CFW? Does the act of installing CFW VOID the WARRANTY?

Also I am going to use this guide to learn and actually do the installation of the CFW
3DS Hacks Guide
i am NOT allowed to post links yet.. dumb...

Another thing is this was highly recommended that I get before going into the CFW
(it is called Ace3DS X 32GB Flash Cart)

Ok so Other than that stuff anything else I shoud look into/Learn about?
Also, did I get anything wrong in my post?

Thanks alot guys!
Technically it does void your warranty, but you can fix softbricks yourself, and if the console is hardbricked they probably won't be able to tell that you hacked it anyway.

Ok where do I acquire this"Seed Miner"?

Also thast for the response because the more I read on into this How to Guide, the more I feel comfortable doing it. However, I have limitations against me...

Heres what I am working with..

1 "New" 2DS XL Console
1 SanDisk 32 GB Micro SDHC
11.6 software version

The seedminer guide is here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/seedminer-single-system-dsiware-injection.495685/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank You to evrey one who responded!
However, Now i have a follow up question regarding getting Banned. Also what will the ban do to my system say i was caught.

So if I make it to where my 2DS XL Console is NEVER Online, does that make it easier NOT to get caught?
If I was banned, what does that mean? Like will I no longer have access to the Nintendo eShop? Are the Bans given out on a per game basis? Do they Ban Nintendo Network IDs? Can they physically Ban your console specifically? I am not entirely sure that I know I am asking the right question because I have NEVER been banned from anything ever in my life.

Well i DID get Banned from my high school but thats the one exception. I got banned, Expelled, from High school because i refused to stop smoking pot. I would tell them I stopped, but then they would test me and I would fail every time... I passed once by taping a large Visine bottle full of clean piss to the inside of my boxer shorts. When it was time for the test i would unscreew the cap and slowly squirt it in the cup, hell, it even sounded like I was actually peeing. HAHA. Thats a Whole other subject tho i got lost for a second. HAHAH..
You could do that, but just by not launching CIA homebrew or VC injects while online (and making sure to launch another game/app afterwards before going online) you should be relatively safe.
That's because Nintendo logs everything you run while online (regardless of if you disable the SpotPass settings or not), and if nothing is running when you connect they log your last played game/app instead.
We don't know for sure what criteria Nintendo uses to ban but this is likely one of them. There's nothing else that would make it really obvious that you're on CFW that's sent to Nintendo. People have logged the traffic sent to the servers which was how this was discovered.

There are ways to unban yourself even if you do get banned, it's not too hard.
It's only a console ban, but you won't be able to use your NNID (or any NNID) again on that 3DS, even if you unban yourself, because the unban process isn't perfect. People have had success system transferring to another 3DS and being able to use their NNID again. But since NNIDs aren't used for anything important on the 3DS it doesn't really matter.
(it is called Ace3DS X 32GB Flash Cart)
Found one for sale on a website, but they want $50 for it.
Sounds super expensive, especially when I don't know what it is for.
Also don't know if it is a crucial tool absolutely NEEDed for the CFW installation...
I do believe that it IS a crucial tool Needed for Poke genning, right?

So what is that exactly?
Do i actually NEED it to install CFW?
If NOT, then what is that "Flash Cart" used for?
Do I NEED one to do the actual installation of the CFW?
That's really overpriced, the R4i Gold 3DS Plus mentioned above is much cheaper and better.
You don't need it to install CFW thanks to seedminer, although it's much easier to install CFW with ntrboot than with seedminer.
Still, you can use it to play DS games which is useful as there are a lot of great ones.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, I spent a while writing this out in parts and assumed it would merge my posts automatically.

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to thank everyone for their input and help along this journey of hacking my console.

But Most of the Thanks goes to Hunter who walked me through it step by step and made sure we did it right|! Hes the man!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Real Jdbye yea man I was able to hack it without a SD Card Reader I did it, with Hunter's Help of course, by connecting my console to my home network and then connect my PC to my Console via LAN.

I made all the changes I had to that way simply because No Card Reader.

Hey it worked tho and that is ALL that matters!!!

Thanks again guys.. now I just need to figure out what I want to use it for!!

Reactions: appeltje_eitje

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm kinda on the same boat as Ronanklan, except I still didn't buy my New 2DS XL (but will soon). Is that really all you need, the console + a 2$ eShop game, regardless of firmware version? Can you play regular DS games on top of 3DS ones with this CFW? I've read about so many other more complicated methods before that I'm surprised to stumble upon this.

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm kinda on the same boat as Ronanklan, except I still didn't buy my New 2DS XL (but will soon). Is that really all you need, the console + a 2$ eShop game, regardless of firmware version? Can you play regular DS games on top of 3DS ones with this CFW? I've read about so many other more complicated methods before that I'm surprised to stumble upon this.

i'd really suggest the r4i gold with ntrboot to install cfw.. at the same time you can load DS roms onto the flashcart once you're done..best of both worlds.

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible to play DS games on CFW by using a homebrew program called TWLoader. However I recommend a flashcart since they have much better compatibility, plus then you can use ntrboot to install CFW, which is faster and easier than using seedminer.

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A guy named Hunter on this forum help me hack my new 2DS XL console with just my home network, my FiOS router connected to my PC and connected to my 2 DS XL via System Settings->Data Management->microSD Management. Once there it will ask you to create a Username & Password, but only if its your first time there.

After youve created the Username & Password, go on your PC go to Start->Computer->Network there you will see an icon for your 2DS XL Console and it will be whatever Name you created for it. After you click on the icon it will cause a prompt to appear asking for a username and password.
The username and password that you created for it and then you will enter it. Then you will be connected to the SD card of your console via your computer. (You create the name for your console icon right before you created the Username&Password.)

Anyways after you're able to open the SD card of your console via the network on your computer, you're able to make all the changes that are needed to hack your console.

After you make all the changes then you can disconnect your console from the network and then there's some other steps you have to do with the boot of your console.
(I forget what they were, but it involved a couple system changes, installing Luma, and installing the .CIAs [that you put onto your console's SD card while connected to your PC via home] via the FBI Program.)

By the way the method that this guy helped me do, is called SeedMiner.

But yeah after installing all that stuff I was done and that was it. So I booted up the free shop and bought all of three DS games that I wanted for free!

Basically installed digital copies of all the cartridges I had so I can trade the cartridges in at GameStop for credit...

So wait after you hack your console with CFW, you cannot play DS cartridges anymore? That cannot be right can it?

In my mind I just don't see how a custom firmware would affect a game cartridge...

I'm going to be really bummed if that's true because I just bought five DS titles off eBay really cheap...

I noticed people saying that they're console went brick on them, what the hell does Brick mean?

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A guy named Hunter on this forum help me hack my new 2DS XL console with just my home network, my FiOS router connected to my PC and connected to my 2 DS XL via System Settings->Data Management->microSD Management. Once there it will ask you to create a Username & Password, but only if its your first time there.

After youve created the Username & Password, go on your PC go to Start->Computer->Network there you will see an icon for your 2DS XL Console and it will be whatever Name you created for it. After you click on the icon it will cause a prompt to appear asking for a username and password.
The username and password that you created for it and then you will enter it. Then you will be connected to the SD card of your console via your computer. (You create the name for your console icon right before you created the Username&Password.)

Anyways after you're able to open the SD card of your console via the network on your computer, you're able to make all the changes that are needed to hack your console.

After you make all the changes then you can disconnect your console from the network and then there's some other steps you have to do with the boot of your console.
(I forget what they were, but it involved a couple system changes, installing Luma, and installing the .CIAs [that you put onto your console's SD card while connected to your PC via home] via the FBI Program.)

By the way the method that this guy helped me do, is called SeedMiner.

But yeah after installing all that stuff I was done and that was it. So I booted up the free shop and bought all of three DS games that I wanted for free!

Basically installed digital copies of all the cartridges I had so I can trade the cartridges in at GameStop for credit...

That was very informative, thanks for the details!

i'd really suggest the r4i gold with ntrboot to install cfw.. at the same time you can load DS roms onto the flashcart once you're done..best of both worlds.

It's possible to play DS games on CFW by using a homebrew program called TWLoader. However I recommend a flashcart since they have much better compatibility, plus then you can use ntrboot to install CFW, which is faster and easier than using seedminer.

I do own a NDS flashcard, but it's the R4iSDHC Gold Pro. I'm aware it's not the best DS flashcart out there, but will this work for installing CFW? How do I find out if it has ntrboot?

Here's a picture of it:

20180330_095205.jpg

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was very informative, thanks for the details!

I do own a NDS flashcard, but it's the R4iSDHC Gold Pro. I'm aware it's not the best DS flashcart out there, but will this work for installing CFW? How do I find out if it has ntrboot?

Here's a picture of it:

View attachment 119138

Yep, that flashcart will work! Go to 3ds.guide and follow the guide there for ntrboot.

So wait after you hack your console with CFW, you cannot play DS cartridges anymore? That cannot be right can it?

In my mind I just don't see how a custom firmware would affect a game cartridge...

I'm going to be really bummed if that's true because I just bought five DS titles off eBay really cheap...

I noticed people saying that they're console went brick on them, what the hell does Brick mean?

I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. Installing CFW doesn't normally mess with TWL_FIRM, so you can still play DS games like normal.

Bricked means something got corrupted, erased, or otherwise messed up so the 3DS doesn't work anymore. It's very unlikely that that'll happen. The worst kind of brick is a MCU brick, and those are so rare you almost have to try to get one.

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for explaining what brick means... I sincerely hope that never happens I'll be severely severely disappointed and unhappy. But so far there's been nothing wrong with it so far.

I am very glad I can still play DS cartridges cuz that's the only ones that I am buying now since I have freeshop.

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, that flashcart will work! Go to 3ds.guide and follow the guide there for ntrboot.

Thanks. One more question if you don't mind. How much better is the R4i Gold Plus for playing regular DS games? I'm not a fan of the UI of my card at all. Would you recommend replacing it? This is the one I'm looking at:

https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

It also comes with a SD card reader and a magnet which are things I don't currently have and will need for applying the CFW. Sounds like a good deal or is there a better card I should be looking at?

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. One more question if you don't mind. How much better is the R4i Gold Plus for playing regular DS games? I'm not a fan of the UI of my card at all. Would you recommend replacing it? This is the one I'm looking at:

https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

It also comes with a SD card reader and a magnet which are things I don't currently have and will need for applying the CFW. Sounds like a good deal or is there a better card I should be looking at?

I don't know about how much better the compatibility is, so I can't comment on that. But I recommend that card because, like you said, it comes with a magnet and an SD card reader. (The SD reader is pretty crappy though.) It comes with ntrboot preflashed, and you can switch between ntrboot and the normal menu by flipping a switch inside the flashcart.

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know about how much better the compatibility is, so I can't comment on that. But I recommend that card because, like you said, it comes with a magnet and an SD card reader. (The SD reader is pretty crappy though.) It comes with ntrboot preflashed, and you can switch between ntrboot and the normal menu by flipping a switch inside the flashcart.

Once I have CFW installed do I need to always boot with that flashcart inserted to access CFW and things like the 3DS FreeShop? If that's the case I will buy a more reliable card, but if it's just a one time thing for hacking and for booting regular DS games (which I'll play occasionally), I might just use my current one. I say this because there is one huge downside for me to buy the new card: importing is my only option and it will probably take 2 months to arrive in my country.

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once I have CFW installed do I need to always boot with that flashcart inserted to access CFW and things like the 3DS FreeShop? If that's the case I will buy a more reliable card, but if it's just a one time thing for hacking and for booting regular DS games (which I'll play occasionally), I might just use my current one. I say this because there is one huge downside for me to buy the new card: importing is my only option and it will probably take 2 months to arrive in my country.
No, you only need it the first time. After that it copies all of the needed files to the NAND.

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, you only need it the first time. After that it copies all of the needed files to the NAND.

Cool, I asked that because you mentioned the switch you can flip. I'm assuming then that the point of that switch is to go back and forth between 3DS CFW and DS roms, is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Cool, I asked that because you mentioned the switch you can flip. I'm assuming then that the point of that switch is to go back and forth between 3DS CFW and DS roms, is that correct?

Thanks for the help.
the "3ds" mode is used once per 3DS to install the CFW

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the help.
Once you install CFW, you can flip the switch back to the DS mode. CFW is installed to the 3DS so you don't need the flashcart after that. So even if you had the switch set to DS roms mode, it will still boot CFW.

edugr10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Once you install CFW, you can flip the switch back to the DS mode. CFW is installed to the 3DS so you don't need the flashcart after that. So even if you had the switch set to DS roms mode, it will still boot CFW.

Good to hear. And then for the 3DS games, you download directly from Nintendo servers using FreeShop? I'm taking a look at 3ds.guide right now and I don't see FreeShop mentioned, so I'm wondering what is the preferred method for that. It would be neat to download straight from the servers, that way I could get a New 3DS instead of New 2DS (I want the 3D, but don't want the hassle of unscrewing the back plate every time I want to swap games into the SD card).

On that note, is there any other difference between New 2DS and New 3DS regarding the hacking process other than a easier to reach SD slot?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to ask: On 3ds.guide I see something called "Time Bomb" for .nds files depending on which flashcart you're using. My current card appears to have a 2019 "expiration date", while R4i Gold Plus has none. If I use my current card just to install CFW and 3DS games, and then buy R4i Gold Plus for DS games in the future, do I still have to worry about that Time Bomb? Is it tied to the card you used to install CFW?

Really appreciate the help everyone.

Last edited by edugr10,

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear. And then for the 3DS games, you download directly from Nintendo servers using FreeShop? I'm taking a look at 3ds.guide right now and I don't see FreeShop mentioned, so I'm wondering what is the preferred method for that. It would be neat to download straight from the servers, that way I could get a New 3DS instead of New 2DS (I want the 3D, but don't want the hassle of unscrewing the back plate every time I want to swap games into the SD card).

On that note, is there any other difference between New 2DS and New 3DS regarding the hacking process other than a easier to reach SD slot?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to ask: On 3ds.guide I see something called "Time Bomb" for .nds files depending on which flashcart you're using. My current card appears to have a 2019 "expiration date", while R4i Gold Plus has none. If I use my current card just to install CFW and 3DS games, and then buy R4i Gold Plus for DS games in the future, do I still have to worry about that Time Bomb? Is it tied to the card you used to install CFW?

Really appreciate the help everyone.

I have a new 2 DS XL console and when I hacked mine I never even took the SD card out of the console. I connected my console to the network of my home computer and made all the changes via my PC and never had to take the SD card out of my console at all. So I made all the changes that way, then did the installing of the custom firmware. And once I was done I had a bunch of new icons on my home screen. They were freeshop, checkpoint, FTPD, anemone, FBI, and Luma Updater.

Anemone is used for getting custom themes from online. To be honest I forget what FTPD is used for, I think I might have used it during the install of the CFW. I'm not sure because my memory sucks, I even did it just 24 hours ago and can't remember. Sad right?

I just want you to know that FBI is used for installing stuff like .CIAs, freeshop is used to download anything fron eShop for free, and Checkpoint is a really great saved game manager.

With checkpoint i was able to back up my current save from a Metroid: Samus Returns Game Cart, then I restored it into my new digital copy of the same game. So basically I took the save game data from the cartridge and put it into my new digital copy. So now I can continue from where I left off on the cartridge but with the digital copy.

Last edited by Ronanklan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2