Tutorial  Updated

Install .nsp files (games/updates/dlc) with devmenu (NO SX OS needed)

*Guide updated to be 100% offline&

A quick guide for whoever is interested. (GUIDE AND FILES FOR 5.1 ONLY!)

- Download the package.zip attached (credits to user blahblah and Kolunio)

- Extract all of its contents into the root of your SD Card

- Download Pokemon Quest .NSP and put it in X:\Tinfoil\nsp

- Download Devmenu (google is your friend)

- Place the 2 folders of the DevMenu (exefs and romfs) to X:\atmosphere\titles\01005D100807A000

- Boot your switch into RCM and inject the hekate payload (original or ctcaer should work I used the hekate_ctcaer one)

- Open album to go to HB menu and from there open Tinfoil.

- Install Pokemon Quest.

- Exit Tinfoil and HBmenu.

- Open Pokemon Quest and you are done!

If you have no idea how to install nsp files.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-install-nsp-dlc-update.510188/

I installed Mario Odyssey with the lastest update and worked just fine!

PS: If you download nsp with too long filenames you might get an error when installing. Just rename to a short name and you will be good. Thanks to ali.ee for that info.

Last edited by Pacote,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Try a different nsp. It might be corrupt

I got the NSP straight from CDNSP, it should work fine right? I'l try a different one though

EDIT: Also i've been thinking, could it have something to do with the transference from my pc to the mem card? Like i know sometimes the files leave things behind when you transfer them to mem cards, something like that was an issue on the psp

Last edited by Ashura66,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Tekniquez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil only installs files to the sd card. So first and foremost check if your card isn't full. Secondly check if it's format as Fat32, apparently EXFAT formatting doesn't work
I had it on exfat and was able to get splatoon2 aswell as few others. But for some reason botw doesnt to install. I might find another file but even when i deleted the nsp the first time it failed like at 87%. Now with a renamed file when i try it again i get the failed to install and wont even progress. So which why i assumed maybe some files are still there that needed to be deleted to have a fresh install attempt. I have a 64gb card with 50gb left on so plenty of room. So my concern is if i do get a diff file and i try that and it fails to even try to install (ill get the error code later at work atm)then im at a loss at that point. Which is why i wanted to know where are the files located that are installed to the SD. Thx

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same thing happend to me but on my first attempt with my current file it began to install fine then just failed. Renamed it to just zelda.nsp and still no dice.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Right now, CDNSP is my only source for these .NSP games and even after downloading the game multiple times, still don't work. Funny thing is, while the base Pokken Tournament doesn't install, it's DLC do. I'm starting to think there might be an issue with my SD card or something

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found a few more versions of "devmenu" and tried them. They all throw the error when trying to install from SD. Any other clues as to what could be happening? Everyone here simply purports that it works, when in fact it does not and it's quite annoying. What am I doing "wrong?" Is Pokémon Quest not supposed to be 1.0.0 like it is on mine? I doubt we could install updates so I figure it should have to be 1.0.0. For what possible reason could it be waiting several seconds and then erroring out like that when I select "Install from SD?" Is there some way to check the error log?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So I found a few more versions of "devmenu" and tried them. They all throw the error when trying to install from SD. Any other clues as to what could be happening? Everyone here simply purports that it works, when in fact it does not and it's quite annoying. What am I doing "wrong?" Is Pokémon Quest not supposed to be 1.0.0 like it is on mine? I doubt we could install updates so I figure it should have to be 1.0.0. For what possible reason could it be waiting several seconds and then erroring out like that when I select "Install from SD?" Is there some way to check the error log?

What error code is it showing, just to compare and see if it's the same as the one i'm getting

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What error code is it showing, just to compare and see if it's the same as the one i'm getting
Good question. The error code is [!]. Seriously, there is no error code. It just pops up with an exclamation mark and says "The software was closed because an error occurred." It's the exact same one you get if you scroll down to firmware. (Apparently it does that for everyone though.)

If I scroll down to the Error tab of DevMenu the last error code was thrown on the 23rd, so apparently it's not important enough to log at all. I guess there's no way to debug this, is there?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Good question. The error code is [!]. Seriously, there is no error code. It just pops up with an exclamation mark and says "The software was closed because an error occurred." It's the exact same one you get if you scroll down to firmware. (Apparently it does that for everyone though.)

If I scroll down to the Error tab of DevMenu the last error code was thrown on the 23rd, so apparently it's not important enough to log at all. I guess there's no way to debug this, is there?

Only one other person had that issue when installing games, literally no one else does. So far i haven't seen anyone offer an explanation

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one other person had that issue when installing games, literally no one else does. So far i haven't seen anyone offer an explanation
Not really an issue installing games though, I can't even get DevMenu to look at my SD card. Weird. Tinfoil does not have that problem. I have installed several base games with that. Why in the world would DevMenu be crashing without a report when it goes to look at my SD card? I wish I had another one to test with, but I do not.

Few questions to those of you using a working version: How long does it take to load the UI up after selecting "Install from SD?" Mine waits about 4 seconds, then throws an error. Also, are the save games supposed to show their names and icons, because they don't on mine.

Below are attached screenshots:
screen_01.jpg
screen_02.jpg
screen_03.jpg

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not really an issue installing games though, I can't even get DevMenu to look at my SD card. Weird. Tinfoil does not have that problem. I have installed several base games with that. Why in the world would DevMenu be crashing without a report when it goes to look at my SD card? I wish I had another one to test with, but I do not.

Few questions to those of you using a working version: How long does it take to load the UI up after selecting "Install from SD?" Mine waits about 4 seconds, then throws an error. Also, are the save games supposed to show their names and icons, because they don't on mine.

Below are attached screenshots:

I don't know about the saves, i haven't checked but i'm pretty sure they should show what game they are of. As for the UI, it's instant for me. I've just been having issues actually installing games recently for some reason though i suspect it's my microsd

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Also i've been thinking, could it have something to do with the transference from my pc to the mem card? Like i know sometimes the files leave things behind when you transfer them to mem cards, something like that was an issue on the psp
This was a problem I’ve had a few times. I’d also get a frozen switch while installing, I’d forever say “processing install”, or something like that. Copied the dump back over and reran. It worked.

Reactions: Tekniquez

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This was a problem I’ve had a few times. I’d also get a frozen switch while installing, I’d forever say “processing install”, or something like that. Copied the dump back over and reran. It worked.

I think the issue was actually my MSD card. I bought a new one today and it seems to be working fine

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m trying to find out if there is a specific allocation size that the card should be formatted with. I just used the default size. Also, now that I think about it, I transferred the files with the sd card adapter. I’ll try to use my usb card reader next time.

MatteKalle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I’m trying to find out if there is a specific allocation size that the card should be formatted with. I just used the default size. Also, now that I think about it, I transferred the files with the sd card adapter. I’ll try to use my usb card reader next time.

Please tell me if you find a solution to this. I have the same problem.
First time I got in to dev menu but I could not install anything.
After a restart I can't even enter dev menu. I get the same error message as you do.

MatteKalle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My SD card is 256mb formated as exfat.
But now I also have tried uninstalling dev menu (pokemon) and using a 8gb sd card formated with fat32 and I get the same error when trying to install a game "failed to install the nsp file. (result:0x00244802)".
I can only assume that I won't be able to enter dev menu at all if I restart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...