Tutorial  Updated

Infinite Picrites on Pokemon Picross

NOTE: If you are using the Homebrew Launcher on firmware 9.3 or higher, you can skip any SaveDataFiler steps, and instead follow what is quoted below.
Indeed, it works fine. Just follow the tuto on the page (https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls)
  1. Download ZIP
  2. Place the mmap folder at the root of your 3DS SD card.
  3. Place boot.3dsx on at the root of the SD card, replacing any existing one.
4.Then use svdt or JKSM to backup the save. Happy cheating XD
A fairly short tutorial on how to get infinite Picrites on the new free-to-play Pokemon game.

What You'll Need
  • Pokemon Picross (duh)
  • SaveDataFiler (or another way to extract and import your save)
  • HxD (or another hex editor)
Step 1:
Start a file and get some Picrites. You get plenty from the tutorial world.

Step 2:
Extract your save. The ID on SaveDateFiler for the EUR and US (NA) game is 017C1. I'm unsure of other regions. Once highlighted press Y to export save to SD.

lZyKUf9.jpg

Step 3:
Open the "all.dat" file in HxD.

Step 4:
Go to Offset 00000B40. The offset is shown on the left side of the screen if you're unsure as to where you should be looking.

Step 5:
Edit the four numbers highlighted to FF FF. The values shown below will be different since we likely don't have the same number of Picrites.

mPKP7mZ.jpg
->
EhPzsM5.jpg

Step 6:
Save your edit in HxD and put your newly saved file "all.dat" back on your SD in the correct folder of Pokemon Picross (X:\filer\UserSaveData\20151205133407\000017c1\) -> 20151205133407 is a date/time stamp, so will be different.

Step 7:
In SaveDataFiller, under the tab "User" search again for "017C1" and when highlighted (yellow) press R+X to delete the secure value

juaNhgK.jpg

Step 8:
Now go to the tab "SD" and select "000017c1", when highlighted press "A" to import your save, then press Home button to exit SaveDataFiller and start Pokémon Picross.

0s5mrww.jpg

Step 7:
Enjoy the game. If you want to support the people that made it, buy some Picrites in the store or something.

9CDZMIm.jpg

Worked great for me, here's hoping it'll save a few people long waits between levels ^^ Let me know if there are any issues!

EDIT: Although the game says 9999, I believe doing this actually sets your Picrite count to 65535 (the value of FFFF when you convert it to decimal). So yeah, you probably won't run out.

EDIT 2: Thanks to @DjoeN for the clearer instructions ^^

Last edited by Scarlet,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does this work on a .3ds version of the game? Can't find that Title ID.
I think you'd need to convert the 3ds file to a Card2 for it to work... Gateway stores its saves as .sav files on the SD card if memory serves. Somebody might know more about this than me though ^^

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Scarlet

Deoxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I like this game a lot, but I can't justify spending more than a maximum of $20 on it.
I was relieved to see that the hex which determines picrite amounts was found, and was eager get it open in my hex editor.

Unfortunately, as people previously stated, SVDT and other save managing apps give a red screen when trying to extract the save.
Are those of us running homebrew above firmware 9.2 screwed, or is this a solvable problem?

D

Deleted User

I like this game a lot, but I can't justify spending more than a maximum of $20 on it.
I was relieved to see that the hex which determines picrite amounts was found, and was eager get it open in my hex editor.

Unfortunately, as people previously stated, SVDT and other save managing apps give a red screen when trying to extract the save.
Are those of us running homebrew above firmware 9.2 screwed, or is this a solvable problem?
I'd imagine it's probably solvable somehow.

D

Deleted User

I'm assuming the error lies with the actual coding of the save managing apps? Is there something that differentiates the Picross save from other saves?
I don't think it has anything to do with the save, but maybe the game itself, since it can't be opened in HANS either? I'm not really an expert when it comes to how the 3DS works so uh

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Some things may be not clear in the tutorial for some users:
So i added some extra pictures and explanation for you to use.

Step 2:
Extract your save. The ID on SaveDateFiler for the EUR and US (NA) game is 017C1. I'm unsure of other regions. Once highlighted press Y to export save to SD

DSC05774.jpg

Step 5:
Edit the four numbers highlighted to FF FF. The values shown below will be different since we likely don't have the same number of Picrites.

Naamloos.jpg
->
Naamloos1.jpg

Step 6:
Save your edit in HxD and put your newly saved file "all.dat" back on your SD in the correct folder of Pokemon Picross (X:\filer\UserSaveData\20151205133407\000017c1\) -> 20151205133407 may vary cause its date/time related

Step 7:
In SaveDataFiller, under the tab "User" search again for "017C1" and when highlighted (yellow) press R+X to delete the secure value

DSC05774.jpg

Step 8:
Now go to the tab "SD" and select "000017c1", when highlighted press "A" to import your save, then press Home button to exit SaveDataFiller and start Pokémon Picross

DSC05777.jpg

Step 9:
Enjoy the game. If you want to support the people that made it, buy some Picrites in the store or something.
(your screenhots)

Last edited by DjoeN,
Reactions: MisterPantsEyes

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Excellent Tutorial! Got it working on the .3DS version of the game using this tutorial for SDF + .3DS : http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

Quicky:
Take main SD out of Gateway
Backup 000400000017C100.sav to PC
On SD card, copy 000400000017C100.sav and rename it to 000400000FF40A00.sav
Boot up 3DS, load Gateway EmuNand
Press Select -> Choose Pokemon Picross in Gateway ROM Selector
Launch SaveDataFiler
Highlight CTR Card and Export Save (Y, A)
SD Card back into PC, navigate to :\filer\ location for 17C1's all.dat
Follow above awesomeness regarding HEX Edit all.dat

At this point it was a blur but I put SD card back in 3DS, did the same "select ROM in Gateway loader, launch SDF", and I think I did the "go to SD card tab in SDF and hit L+A" which updates/creates a new 000400000FF40A00.sav from the "filer" folder

SD Card back to PC
Rename 000400000FF40A00.sav to 000400000017C100.sav
SD CARD BACK IN 3DS AND BOOT THE DAMN POKEMONS

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to do a similar thing with nintendo badge arecade and get free plays
I think this has been discussed elsewhere but to the best of my knowledge, the plays on Badge Arcade are stored on the server side. Similar to how your eShop funds aren't stored locally on the system. You CAN use somebody else's save file to have their badges (there's a tutorial somewhere on GBATemp) but once you go into Badge Arcade, connecting to the server resets everything.

Arshes91

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think this has been discussed elsewhere but to the best of my knowledge, the plays on Badge Arcade are stored on the server side. Similar to how your eShop funds aren't stored locally on the system. You CAN use somebody else's save file to have their badges (there's a tutorial somewhere on GBATemp) but once you go into Badge Arcade, connecting to the server resets everything.
It should work on picross copy save file trough sd if can be edited?
23trwig.jpg
it's from my backup (picross)

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It should work on picross copy save file trough sd if can be edited?
23trwig.jpg
it's from my backup (picross)

You can't edit directly the content of the "Nintendo 3DS" folder because it's encrypted ! And how picross's encryption works is exactly the thing we don't know...

Practicum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, is there any way to extract the file and then edit it? I'm using Save Data Manager from the Homebrew Channel but the screen goes all red and it gets blocked.

Donglebrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, is there any way to extract the file and then edit it? I'm using Save Data Manager from the Homebrew Channel but the screen goes all red and it gets blocked.
As of right now, Pokemon Picross is incompatible with any homebrew method of extracting saves.

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Cf what I just said above, Pokemon Picross likely uses a new encryption method which is why homebrews can't extract its files yet.

Savedatafilter is part of the official SDK and has the equivalent of root access, which is why it's the only method that works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See some new 830gb builds that should work on the cheaper ones
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: