Question Improving Graphics on Retroarch Cores

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by SilentOne1994, May 11, 2019.

1. SilentOne1994
    OP

SilentOne1994 SilentOne2k94

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia
    I was just curious if theres a way to improve the graphics of PSP, PS1 and N64 Cores with possible shaders or settings..
    PS1 emulation runs well but looks abit rough around the edges, same goes for most cores.
    does anyone have a suggestion?

2. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Just go to core settings in RetroArch when running game and you will have everything there.

3. SilentOne1994
    OP

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia
    Sorry i meant.. is there a way to Upscale the graphics.
    make them look fresher and smoother.
    I've messed with Core settings before aswell as shaders.

4. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Upscaling is not available right now because we don't have a hardware renderer for RetroArch at this time (AFAIK??). You can up the resolution, and apply a shader which should help for most games though.

SilentOne1994 likes this.
  5. SilentOne1994
    OP

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia
    Ah shame, thanks anyway!

6. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Try the 2xHQ shader in the 2x folder - I use it for GBA and it scales nicely in handheld mode. (1080p docked is still.... mushy??)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I mean, I know you are playing playstation, but that shader should be better on PSX I think too.

7. SilentOne1994
    OP

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia

I've actually been using that exact Shader for gba lately too! Hahah it works pretty well! I find on playstation it needs something to smooth out the graphics abit more however the other shaders seem too intense for Retroarch

8. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Overclock that bad boi's GPU and RAM then (Google sys-clk) If you need help with config, PM me!

9. SilentOne1994
    OP

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia
    I've got Sys-clk on my switch but no idea how to set it up, I'll shoot you a pm

10. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Shaders are hardware GPU programs. By definition, they only work when accelerated by a GPU with a functioning graphics API (in this cases, OpenGL.)

If you mean rendering resolution, this is per-core and in the Quick Menu options with a game loaded. PPSSPP and Mupen64plus-next both have these available. If you mean literal upscaling, that's using shaders and you've already found that. You might want to turn off billinear filtering if the problem is blur.

11. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Use a shader in RA, they work fine but they take up so much CPU due to lack of hardware acceleration AFAIK. I might need to re-check my source and confirm it's accurate though (My source is m4xw)

12. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Yea. No.
    I can't remember saying that.
    What you probably mean is specific to pcsx, where everything is actually software rendered and we wouldn't have room to up the res, even if the renderer would support it.
    RA (even with pcsx) is using GL, just the core itself doesn't use it.

chaoskagami likes this.
  13. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    I know I was getting something mixed up, thanks for the correction!

14. GBADWB

GBADWB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2016
    United States
    the other alternative is using cores native texture replacement features to load in HD texture packs for games where someone compiled a bunch