Homebrew [Important poll] What hardware problem does your 3DS have?

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 8,600
  • Replies 77
  • Likes 5

What would you patch in your 3DS?

• Disable broken sliders and control them via software

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Double-tap Power to toggle WiFi

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • 3D slider as brightness slider

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Slider swap

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other (mention me with your idea)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Double-tap to toggle WiFi would be extremely useful for people with a 2DS or any console of the New 3DS family

Damn, you just made me realize that all this time I have been working with old3DS MCU_FIRM, and that new3DS has had an MCU_FIRM update with the release of new2DS.

That means that these patches will only benefit old3DSes until I reverse engineer the RAM format in new3DS FIRM (which I haven't even dumped yet)... shit

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, you just made me realize that all this time I have been working with old3DS MCU_FIRM, and that new3DS has had an MCU_FIRM update with the release of new2DS.

That means that these patches will only benefit old3DSes until I reverse engineer the RAM format in new3DS FIRM (which I haven't even dumped yet)... shit
:(

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the 3d slider be a brightness would be cool and have a way to switch it back to 3d also. There are some games I got just for the 3d like the 3d classics games

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Having the 3d slider be a brightness would be cool and have a way to switch it back to 3d also. There are some games I got just for the 3d like the 3d classics games

Yeah, that's not possible. You either have the patch or don't. And no, you can't keep flashing the original and the patched firmware, because the flash on the MCU isn't designed to be reflashed a couple thousand times.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, that's not possible. You either have the patch or don't. And no, you can't keep flashing the original and the patched firmware, because the flash on the MCU isn't designed to be reflashed a couple thousand times.
Maybe an hotkey to toggle between 3D slider and brightness slider is possible?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Maybe an hotkey to toggle between 3D slider and brightness slider is possible?

No. I could use my good ol' double-Power keycombo, but there is not enough RAM to be able to keep track of the config. I literally can't find a single more byte available in RAM (which is *safe* to use) that I could use for checking the slider's functionality.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that sucks, what about this; hold zl and zr at the same time to open up brightness slider, and while holding them press either up or down to adjust brightness

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man that sucks, what about this; hold zl and zr at the same time to open up brightness slider, and while holding them press either up or down to adjust brightness
If I understand correctly she's only modifying MCU_FIRM, which can't do that. I'm pretty sure it could be implemented by Luma (for example) tho.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If I understand correctly she's only modifying MCU_FIRM, which can't do that. I'm pretty sure it could be implemented by Luma (for example) tho.

Exactly. Yes, that would be very easy to do. Though I'm not sure Rosalina supports ZL/ZR. But anyways, this is definitely easy and possible, just someone needs to make a proper brightness patch for new3DS gsp to prevent the brightness from resetting every few seconds.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How'd you dump it in the first place? Maybe I could get you the new 2ds mcu firm or something.

SomeRandomWeeb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just made a post asking if this was possible not too long ago. Would it be possible to make the 3D slider control Blue Light emitted from the system?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Make it so you have to double tap the power button to turn off the system. Prevents accidental power off.

Would this work? This is not necessarily double-tapping, but I think this is much more convenient, and allows doubletapping to be used for a functionality.

How'd you dump it in the first place? Maybe I could get you the new 2ds mcu firm or something.

Dump the mcu sysmodule, search for jhl in ro.bin, copy 0x4000 bytes after the jhl and you got MCUFIRM.BIN

I just made a post asking if this was possible not too long ago. Would it be possible to make the 3D slider control Blue Light emitted from the system?
Changing the 3D slider to adjust my brightness would be the bees knees and general button remapping would be more than welcome

Yes, but it would require a "companion" process to be running on the 3DS and waiting for the 3D slider to change and refresh the LUT. It could be integrated into Rosalina for example.

As for the button remapping, what do you mean? The only buttons the MCU controls are the HOME, Power, and the WiFi switch, and also the volume and 3D slider.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dump the mcu sysmodule, search for jhl in ro.bin, copy 0x4000 bytes after the jhl and you got MCUFIRM.BIN
Thank you.
EDIT: if you have discord I could send you the firms for new 2dsxl
EDIT2:would you happen to know what tools/programs I'm going to need?

Last edited by Itzumi,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Home button and Amiibo functionality are both broken because I thought the ZIF connectors were latched, when they aren't... so they don't connect inside and I'm now without a working Home button or amiibo support. And I can't get that stupid amiibo puck thing to work either.
the amiibo connector for o3ds is made not to work with new consoles

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thank you.
EDIT: if you have discord I could send you the firms for new 2dsxl
EDIT2:would you happen to know what tools/programs I'm going to need?

No need to, MCU_FIRM is the same across new3DS models.

As for the tools (both PC and 3DS-side) I wrote them on my own from scratch because I'm not a company, so I can't access the official tools. But at this point I don't even need to because the docs I need are proprietary (so not even all companies have access to it), and my tools have analysis and symbol renaming and other helping stuff too, so it makes my tools superior anyways.

the amiibo connector for o3ds is made not to work with new consoles

I think you missed the word "puck" which is used to refer to the shape of the old3DS NFC reader. It has the shape of a hockey puck (use Google images and a translator if your native language isn't English).

I'm not sure about the "NFC connector" though because on original old3DS it's connected to the board like the wifi board is.

Edit: the NFC puck is not compatible with new3DS

Last edited by Sono,

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to, MCU_FIRM is the same across new3DS models.

As for the tools (both PC and 3DS-side) I wrote them on my own from scratch because I'm not a company, so I can't access the official tools. But at this point I don't even need to because the docs I need are proprietary (so not even all companies have access to it), and my tools have analysis and symbol renaming and other helping stuff too, so it makes my tools superior anyways.

I think you missed the word "puck" which is used to refer to the shape of the old3DS NFC reader. It has the shape of a hockey puck (use Google images and a translator if your native language isn't English).

I'm not sure about the "NFC connector" though because on original old3DS it's connected to the board like the wifi board is.
On 3dbrew the number was higher for new 2ds
EDIT: Its 3.65 for N2ds

Last edited by Itzumi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp